Reeves Beach Vic.

For all RV travel & touring information on Victoria
jock

Reeves Beach Vic.

Post by jock » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:05 am

D.T. has mentioned, in another thread, that He's heading for Reeves Beach, Gippsland do do some serious fishing.

For years, We have headed over to the Eyre peninsula area, S.A., Around May/June to get stuck into fishing for the K,G. Whiting. Lately I've been looking at South Gippsland as an alternative (Not necessarily in May/June) and have almost decided on Corner Inlet, near the Prom entrance, as our destination. From the Caravan Park there, We can pop over to Shallow Inlet ( which also has a CP) - or vice-versa.

I have also noticed McLoughlans Beach, East of Port Albert and near DT's Reeves Beach, as another interesting looking spot on Google Earth.

I wonder if D.T. or anyone else can make any recommendations for good estuary/inlet fishing and camping in this area. coming from the Sunshine Coast and having access to, literally 100's of kms of top Surf fishing, from Noosa to Fraser Island, We're more interested in fishing calm waters using the roof top tinny - particularly chasing K.G. Whiting....and Flathead.

Dont mind free or low cost beach camping but, as we like to stay in the one spot for a few weeks, would prefer a commercial caravan Park on or very near the water and launching facilities.

Jock :)

Jeffie

Re: Reeves Beach Vic.

Post by Jeffie » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:33 pm

Jock,

Im not a fisherman but:-
If you are coming down via the coast road have a look at Mallacoota.
700+ council park with sites right on the water, where you can tie you boat up outside your van.
Nice town with all facilities i.e. Pub and Golf Course and 2 Supermarkets etc.
You can fish in the top lake, bottom lake or on a calm day,out in the ocean.
2 boat ramps, 1 for the lakes and 1 for the ocean.
Becomes very busy during holidays as they come from both Melbourne and Sydney.

Port Albert would be another worth a look, you can freecamp at the boat ramp 24hrs and probably a bit longer during the week or there is a caravan park close by.

Jeff.
Jeff & Heather
Isuzu MU-X LST
Coronet Grand Prince.

jock

Post by jock » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:50 pm

Thanks Jeffie. Yep.! know Mallacoota quite well...Have stayed there a few times Also another couple of spots in this area...But, for this trip, am interested in the South Gippsland area more.

Don't know why there are no other responses to my query.

Jock :?:

bagmaker

Post by bagmaker » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:55 pm

Loch Sport is a nice spot Jock, good little CP too. Very busy during holidays but very quiet when not. Lakes access from 2 boat ramps, beach fishing on the 90 mile easy access.
Reeves, Golden, Jacksmith, etc, all very similar camps on the 90 mile beach. As a downside, can be windy, bugs can be an issue too. Happy travels, it should be drier than the Gold Coast......... :lol:

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:31 pm

We spent a few nights down around Golden Beach a few yr ago and loved it.
Yep, it was windy at times, and cold, but when you park next to a really big bit of cold water I s'pose ya gotta expect that ;-)
Does anyone know the current situation regarding bookings and fees in that area ?
Jock, sorry I can't help with any fishing experience down there but permits and fees may be of interest to you if you do decide to rough it a bit.
Lance & Anne
......always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:24 pm

Hi friends, Trudy and I are sitting in in the shade in 25deg right now. Finally trying out my Samsung pad, so a bit hard to do spelling corrections etc. :) I will post some pics next few days.
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Lance

Post by Lance » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:31 pm

What's the current booking method and fee structure Paul ?
Lance & Anne

jock

Post by jock » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:03 am

Thanks for the responses guys! ..... Hey DT ! any chance of a report when you get back home?

Jock :)

Jeffie

Post by Jeffie » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:44 am

Lance,
Have a look at "Parks Victoria" website for fees etc.
Had a quick look and seems a bit expensive to me for what you get.
Stayed 2 nights at Golden Beach back in January, some very ordinary some OK campsites, drop toilets and no water.
You have to book on line or by phone as there is no honesty box and the Ranger I met there does not collect fees so of course I booked/paid as soon as I could get phone service. :rolleyes:

Jeff.
Jeff & Heather
Isuzu MU-X LST
Coronet Grand Prince.

Lance

Post by Lance » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:58 pm

Yeah, I was aware of all that Jeff.
I was just wondering if the processes had changed at all since their inception as there have been many complaints of the system not working.
I'm not at all against fees being charged, but the system as it stood, was not workable in my eyes.
Lance & Anne

Return to “Touring VIC”