Tawonga Gap

For all RV travel & touring information on Victoria
gonedroving

Tawonga Gap

Post by gonedroving » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:13 pm

G'day Fellow Travellers,
Can some one tell me what the road from Bright to Tawonga is like. We would like to travel from Myrtleford through Bright and use the Tawonga gap road to travel through to Wodonga via the Kiewa Valley Highway. I will be towing a 2.5 tonne van, have done some steep climbs such as Mt Seaview [Port Macquarie to Walcha] and Dorrigo Mountain in NSW. with out problems.
Thanks for your help,
Drover.

jimboz

Re: Tawonga Gap

Post by jimboz » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:23 pm

You wont have any trouble, as always take your time & watch out for the wankers cutting corners..jim

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:57 pm

Drover, been around the broader area but I don't know that section of road. Looks very good bitumen on Google maps street view at the tightest corners.

G'day Jim :)

It has taken you quite a while to make that first post. Welcome ;-)
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Badger

Post by Badger » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:15 pm

The road is fine. There is a great lookout at the apex of the climb, on the left, plenty of parking. As with all roads like that, going down, I just put it into low gear and dab the brakes now and then. I am never in a hurry going up, since I nearly cooked the gearbox on Cunningham Gap once.

BTW, if you did not have the van, across the road (not on the lookout side), a dirt track heads up (south) to the local hang glider launch area - 2WD access no problem.
BADGER'S Australian Caravan Park Reports
Over 9,000 reports - it's free, no need to join. Go ahead - make your stay!
See ACPR on facebook

Return to “Touring VIC”