Visiting Victoria....need help!!

For all RV travel & touring information on Victoria
samoman67

Visiting Victoria....need help!!

Post by samoman67 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:20 am

We are visiting Victoria and don't know the state at all.
We are currently house sitting in Melbourne but are hitting the road again on the 2nd of Jan and were thinking of either the Murray river or the Great Ocean Road.
My first of two questions is; Do any of you think it is wise to miss these areas this time of year (school holidays)?
Or; Can any one suggest somewhere cheaper to stay than the coast where we can access the Great Ocean Road?

We will be doing some free camping as well so any good spots would be appreciated.

Thank you

Dave & Jules

hank

Re: Visiting Victoria....need help!!

Post by hank » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:31 am

I think I would be heading towards the Grampians, I dont think it would be too overun with school kids.

Hank
Hank and Sue
2012 Prado GXL 3L Turbo Diesel
2011 Royal Flair 21ft Designer series

samoman67

Post by samoman67 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:51 am

hank wrote:I think I would be heading towards the Grampians, I dont think it would be too overun with school kids.

Hank

Thanks Hank, we were looking in that direction. Might be the answer.

Cheers

Dave

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:15 pm

Hi Dave & Jules,
Going to hot up in the next few days so pick a cool tree to sit under. The Glenelg river is at the other end of the GOR and a nice place depending on your out fit.
You would have to check for a place though as most camping areas are booked right through that location.
Pick a spot and phone the tourist offices in those towns, as well as you camps 6 book.
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Ant@Shez

Post by Ant@Shez » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:59 pm

Great ocean road gets busy this time of year but it so worth seeing if you can get a place to stay. Not only do you see great ocean views but also lush bush with water falls. Sometimes it can get really hot as does most of Vic in summer. The grampians is a terrific place for good bushwalking but again it will be warm, and pretty dry and crispy there too. Up North of Melbourne you have Bright and the mountain country. Good bush walking again and great lookouts. If you travel the Sydney road to get there you can visit Ned Kelly country, Call into Benalla to the museum, Glenrowan and Beechworth. Ballarat is great for gold rush history. Again being in land will be a bit warm. Wilsons Prom is a spectacular area too. The murry river areas will be very hot and dry. The options are endless because Vic is a great state to see so much.

Return to “Touring VIC”