Cann River to Mallacoota

For all RV travel & touring information on Victoria
Argonaut

Cann River to Mallacoota

Post by Argonaut » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:55 am

We have three nights up our sleeve late November between Canberra and meeting friends for a week in Mallacoota. We thought we would drive to Cann River and then on to somewhere in the Croajingolong National Park. Can anyone recommend a camping area suitable for a caravan? We are self contained and will have our two person pedal kayak with us. We would like to do some fishing, swimming, exploring and relaxing. We do not know this area at all but maybe some of you do.

Can't wait to get on the road again.
[font=Comic Sans MS]Linda and John[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]2007 Auto Diesel Prado
2009 Lotus Uptown[/font]

MarkK

Re: Cann River to Mallacoota

Post by MarkK » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:00 am

Hi Argonaut,
I was down that way recently and there some great spots along the stretch from Mallacoota to Orbost. The Bellbird Hotel is on the highway half way between Cann River and Orbost and is a great spot to stay. The owner lets RVers park out the back of the hotel on a nice grassy area with cows in the background and supplies free firewood. If you buy even a just a softdrink from the bar you can use the toilets any time you like. You can get hearty meals at the bar and sit in from of a nice warm fireplace.
Further along towards Orbost, take the turnoff to Cape Conran its a beautful beach and there is a campsite run by parks Vic which is cheap, near the beach and has many walking trails etc.
Just before you come into Orbost, there are several free-camps right on the banks of the Snowy River from which you can launch a kayak.
Thats about all I can think of of the top of my head, but talk to the lady at the Orbost visitor info centre, she is very helpful.

Happy Travelling,
Mark

Argonaut

Post by Argonaut » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:51 pm

Thanks Mark. I just looked up your suggestions in Camps 6 and have marked them for reference purposes. We'll let you know where we end up going and thanks again for your help. I was beginning to think no-one was going to respond to my question!
[font=Comic Sans MS]Linda and John[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]2007 Auto Diesel Prado
2009 Lotus Uptown[/font]

girilang

Post by girilang » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:23 pm

Mark, Argonaut is right on with his comments about all three sites. The ones on the Marlo road beside the Snowy are the bees knees but no facilities available and they are right on the road. Worth a stay at all.

Girilang

Argonaut

Post by Argonaut » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:50 pm

We stayed behind the Bellbird Hotel. Nice and peaceful and we didn't have to cook dinner. The bar/dining room was friendly and we met some interesting people. In Orbost we went to the information centre and decided to stay in Marlo. All the riverside spots were occupied as it was a weekend. The Ocean View CP at Marlo was great because we camped in a huge paddock with hardly a van in sight. We could even use our outside speakers without disturbing anyone. We saw a female elephant seal resting on the beach and were told that they hardly ever come this far north. The last one sighted in the area was in 2003. We went for a drive to Cape Conran which was beautiful. The camp sites might be a bit tricky for a full van with lots of overhanging trees but I think it would be possible to find a suitable spot. The road there is very good. Tomorrow we are off to Mallacoota and hope to put the kayak in. We have used the bikes here but after arriving in immense heat we had a cool change so didn't feel tempted to go in the water.

Return to “Touring VIC”