View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 This is Urgent 

Post Re: This is Urgent
I have received my response from the Northern Grampians Council and although much of it as the same as Glanyard posted, i will post it in full

Quote:
Lake Batyo Catyo

The recreation reserve at Lake Batyo Catyo is Crown Land and operates under a Council appointed Committee of Management.

During recent years of drought, the lake has been empty and ahs seen very little camping activity until the2011 floods filed the lake. Council and the Committee undertook some maintenance and repairs to the facilities to enable camping in the short term.

Meanwhile Council and the Committee have been working together for some time with GWMWater on a long term Management Plan for Lake Batyo Catyo. The plan is in draft form and not yet ready for public release. The draft plan covers a range of issues and recognises the recreational value of the lake. Significantly however, the plan acknowledges that there is currently no long term guarantee of water supply for the lake which will impact on recreational use.

While a variety of options are being considered, there has been no decision made yet in relation to the Management Plan for Lake Batyo Catyo.

Council appreciates your suggestions about ‘primitive camping’ and the needs of travellers and I will ensure that Council and the Committee are mande aware of your suggestions. I trust this response helps clarify Council’s position and I am also happy to give permission for this response to be reproduced on the various caravan forums you have requested.

Yours faithfully

Jim Nolan
Acting Director Marketing & Community Development

Note: GWMWater is the water corporation for the Grampians-Wimmera-Mallee regions http://www.gwmwater.org.au/

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:51 pm
Profile WWW

Now were are back
The latest from the Northern Grampians Shire 5th August 2012

Quote:
MEDIA RELEASE

Council puts campground closure rumours to rest

Northern Grampians Shire Council has quashed recent claims that it intends to close the campground at Lake Batyo Catyo.

Mayor Cr Dorothy Patton said closure of the facility has never been considered and people were free to visit and enjoy the lake all year round.

Cr Patton said that despite there being no undertaking from GWMWater to supply the lake with water, it could still be appreciated and valued in its natural state.

“Council has not charged a fee for recreational camping at Lake Batyo Catyo for many years and patrons are currently able to camp at the site at no cost,” she said.

“The shire has a small Committee of Management to look after the area and with the return of some water to the lake last year after the long dry period, a quick assessment of the facilities was made to bring them up to standard for the summer.

“Council spent close to $20,000 to fix toilets and showers and to renew electrical fittings to ensure their safety.

“The dilemma for Council now is that this work is not sufficient to keep the facilities going for years to come, as the new regulations for the running of caravan parks require a very high standard to be maintained.

“Council and the lake's Committee of Management have been working together for some time with GWMWater on a long term management plan for the lake and it's surrounds and some decisions will need to be made about the level of facilities provided to campers.”

Despite there being no water allocated to the lake, it will still be suitable and safe for fishing and swimming unless natural run off in the next few months raises the level for water skiing.

“People love to be around water in summer and Batyo Catyo is there to be enjoyed. It's certainly looking beautiful compared to what it was like two years ago,” Cr Patton said.

Note they say camping is free which conflicts with the price schedule i had previously reported. I am seeking clarification. Meanwhile get out and enjoy the camp while the lake has plenty of water.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:25 pm
Profile WWW

Motherhen wrote:
Note they say camping is free which conflicts with the price schedule I had previously reported. I am seeking clarification. Meanwhile get out and enjoy the camp while the lake has plenty of water.
Snipped

Hi Motherhen,
It all sounds as though there has been rather bad communication between the parties directly involved from the beginning.
I reckon you have responded as best you can. You have done well.
I believe the caretaker would not have pressed the panic button with out something to base his actions on.

This is the sort of thing that occurs when the powers that be treat their staff like mushrooms. :lol:

Sorry but if you can't give a state, no answer from me folks.
sig pic is a 1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:21 pm

Thanks Dieseltojo

While both sides give their side of the story, there will always be things that happen that are never released to the public. We will most likely never know the fine details. I will post any clarifications of the free or fee situation if i receive them.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:44 pm
Profile WWW

here is my thoughts to this typical shire /council dilemma ,in other words panic ,bs ,over nothing really on their behalf ,we grew up in this area swam at batyo many summers ,some seem to panic re no water after 12 yrs of drought she was a dry lake bed, now its full beautifull spot ,but everyone seems to panic ,oh it will dry up again ,bs i say ,before the big dry it never for yrs looked like going dry , a good av winter keeps it about right ,but as long as the beauracrats leave it alone to some degree ,shires like this one which i actually worked for are hell bent on winging oh the costs involved re outside assests but are quite happy to squander dollars on all sorts of inside projects allways been the same ,will never change
so once the ngsc trys to justify spending little in the bush ,we used to have a town hall where staff worked and after the amalgamation most outdoor staff labelled it CLOWN HALL it got flasher ,outdoor issues and projects dwindled !!!!!!!!go figure !!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:58 am

Hi Grae and Deb

Like the small area Shire where i live - building gets bigger, inside staff increase, outside work crew doesn't increase. Sure they have more staff because they have more projects and areas of responsibility but i still see it as empire building.

I have been impressed with the Northern Grampians CEO who has been working on this on weekends and evenings - that would never happen in my local Council.

The mystery still remains, with the Council emphatic that the camp ground is and always has been free.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:13 am
Profile WWW

Motherhen wrote:
Hi Grae and Deb
The mystery still remains, with the Council emphatic that the camp ground is and always has been free.
Snipped,

No Probs Motherhen ,
now ask the caretaker who has been getting the past camp fees? :lol: :lol:

Sorry but if you can't give a state, no answer from me folks.
sig pic is a 1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:55 pm

He has read my email but has not responded as yet.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:10 pm
Profile WWW

I wish that this camp site was somewhere in south east Queensland
Jay&Dee

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:24 pm

The plot thickens

I have just had further contact with the CEO of the Northern Grampians Shire Council, Ms Justine Linley (my bolding)

Discussing the amenties avaialble at Lake Batyo Catyo campground, Ms Linley stated:

"Just confirming that there are no fees for camping at Lake Batyo Catyo, but I do want to make it clear that the camping facilities are very basic (ie. A toilet block, coin operated BBQs, picnic area only). There are other facilities on site but not in use, including powered sites, but we are not using them as this presents Council and the Committee of Management with a very difficult dilemma in terms of compliance with Caravan Park regulations."

I asked about whether the man publicising the plight is in fact the Caretaker:

"There is no official caretaker – the well meaning gentleman who has been posting on various sites is not in any way an official caretaker sanctioned by Council. We can fully understand his passion for the area as it is a lovely, quiet environment and he has contributed in a voluntary way to keeping it looking nice."

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3