View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Stickers on rear of van do we need them? 

Post Stickers on rear of van do we need them?
G'Day all.

Being a rather newbie to vanning, could I get some information from you kind experts relating to stickers that we see on the rear of caravans?

1/ I have recently purchased a 2nd hand Tug which has a CB radio, (I previously didn't have one). Should I, and is it beneficial to have a sticker on the rear of the van that shows "Skipper UHF channel 18 or 40"?

2/ I have also been told legally because my Traveller van is 24' or 7.3m and my tug is 16.5' or 5 mtrs I should have a sticker on rear stating load length in total 40' or 12.5m ?

3/ Does 'Lance' do these types of stickers?

Any one clued up on these regulations?

Skipper....

Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:45 pm

Post Re: Stickers on rear of van do we need them?
No regulations requiring the UHF stickers, they are a good thing however in my opinion. Easy option is to just get some letter and number stickers from a hardware and stick them on. Can also order stickers pretty cheap these days and choose your font/colour. Advise the manufacturer when you order them that they are going on the exterior of a vehicle so that they're UV safe.

I'll leave the length stickers up to someone who knows the answer for sure - never seen any requirement other than the "Do not overtake turning vehicle" stickers for combinations over a certain length.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:51 pm

skipper wrote:
G'Day all.

Being a rather newbie to vanning, could I get some information from you kind experts relating to stickers that we see on the rear of caravans?

1/ I have recently purchased a 2nd hand Tug which has a CB radio, (I previously didn't have one). Should I, and is it beneficial to have a sticker on the rear of the van that shows "Skipper UHF channel 18 or 40"?

2/ I have also been told legally because my Traveller van is 24' or 7.3m and my tug is 16.5' or 5 mtrs I should have a sticker on rear stating load length in total 40' or 12.5m ?

3/ Does 'Lance' do these types of stickers?

Any one clued up on these regulations?

Skipper....

Q1 If you are going to put stickers on the back of your van re UHF channel have the UHF turned on and on the channel advertised on the sticker . It can be very frustrating for me a truckie to be behind a van with stickers and see something wrong and call and call on 40 and 18 and no answer .

Q2 having a sticker with the length means nothing . The only sticker that carries any weight is DO NOT OVERTAKE TURNING VEHICLE .
There is a long thread here with all the needed info .
http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=608

Q3 Yes lance will do all sorts of stickers except the DO NOT OVERTAKE TURNING VEHICLE . lance does al sorts of stickers in a very short time frame .

Last edited by Mick themungrel on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:39 pm

if tug & van are over 7.5metres you can (only if you want to) put the no overtaking turning signs up.

the advantage is you can then move into the 'middle' lane while doing a tight left turn and they won't book you for straddling the solid white line (& the insurance company will agree the idiot on the inside deserves to pay your excess)

there are some ADR things about the stickers too, see mick's link

Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:42 pm

Thanks guys for the replies.

All advice appreciated

Skipper....

Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]