Hyundai reboot

Tech questions answered by the forum 'brains trust'
Old Techo

Hyundai reboot

Post by Old Techo » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:31 pm

We have a Hyundai ix35 bought new in 2011.

It has been a good car and fault free. The only servicing done by the dealer was that to ensure warranty was kept alive. I did all other servicing.

Today the ix35 developed a fault. The heating/cooling (climate) system whenever turned on blew nothing but very hot air, even when the air-con was also running flat out. Some of the push-buttons controlling air discharge ports and direction seemed to be ineffective. It looked to me like an electronic fault. This was an immediate worry. I knew nothing about the electronic innards of a Hyundai.

Would l have to pay the dealer to fix it? Heaven forbid :!:

Take it to a man? :shock: :shock:

Perhaps slitting my wrists would be a gracious alternative :roll:

Initially I assumed the climate system electronics were only active when the ignition was on - but then I wondered if it was controlled by body electronics that always remained on? In any modern vehicle there are electronic systems that remain active at all times although most only spring to life when ignition is applied. I read recently about a prestige car that had I think over 70 separate computers.

Anyhow, the first thing anyone should do with suss electronics is a reboot. This occurs automatically with most vehicle electronics when you turn the ignition key on/off. So how do you reset a permanently on computer? Disconnect the starting battery of course. So I did that and turned on the ignition to ensure all was fully discharged. Then reconnected the battery and presto.... problem solved. Climate control working as normal :D

So the message is - no battery is too big to disconnect for a reboot.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Lance

Re: Hyundai reboot

Post by Lance » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:51 pm

I've had to do the battery dis-connect twice on the Pajero for flashing lights.
Worked both times. :D

Had the engine management light come on in the Hiace, did the dis-connect, and all good for 3 days.
Did it again, same story.
Light is still on and I'm not doing any more about it. :razz:
Lance & Anne
......always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

loub

Post by loub » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:35 am

OT another way is if the computer system or as in your case you wanted to reboot you can turn the car off and apply the brakes for a while,in my case the BT takes five minutes approx and that will drain any residual power out of the system and wipe the faults of the computer.Doing it like you did can wipe out the radio settings and any other memory functions.I have had issues with the inbuilt immobilizer faulting and turning the tug of when driving,and by doing the reboot gets rid of the fault :razz: Peter
BT50 2013 Auto 3.2 Diesel
21 Golf Linwood

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:39 am

Peter,

That doesn't seem at all right to me. If you can run down any residual charge by applying a load like the brakes then it will run down on its own given enough time left dormant.
There must be enough electronics enabled at all times to respond to a remote control ignition key signal. Also to monitor and manage any security or alarm system. These electronics would require permanent power direct from the cranking battery thus immune to any load.

Are you saying that it is a published method for a BT to reset computer flagged engine alarms (and that I could believe) or are you just guessing that it may have wider applications?
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto

loub

Post by loub » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:43 pm

OT After having issues with the BT. I asked the Mazda service chap about that if I was in the mulga how could I reboot the Ute if the issue came up again.He told me what I posted and also told me about what you did as well.Both ways remove the logged faults from the computer :razz: Peter
BT50 2013 Auto 3.2 Diesel
21 Golf Linwood

J.REEVES

Post by J.REEVES » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:02 pm

OT, disconnecting the battery on my 200 series has me terrified and how to get in the vehicle with a flat battery sounds like another mammoth task.

Would not there be a fuse dedicated to the vehicle computer system as I think the Toyota has a fuse for this purpose.

Yes I disconnected the battery in the 100 Series to reset a fault code which worked OK.

Now the problem is why did the air temp control stuff up?

I once had a fault where the 100 Series would not rev above 1500 RPM and the radio antenna would not fully extend. All this happened when I started the vehicle with an almost flat battery but did not notice any problem until I reached 1500 RPM and the radio was not working very well.

JR
:razz:

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:14 pm

G'day JR,

Surely your 200 has a good old fashioned door key to get in? :o

Yes, a fuse was the obvious possibility but where it was was not obvious. Rather than taking time to do a lot of research I thought the quick and dirty option was to kill the power. The radio is the only reset required and I keep our radio codes in the safe so no probs resetting.

I have no idea why the climate system threw a wobbly but I do know that most CPU based systems will eventually lose the plot and a cold boot is the only fix. I find that a cold boot also fixes my kids ;-)
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto

A'van

Post by A'van » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:19 am

Newer cars can be tricky.
In my old car, i had a key start like cars used to have. Now i got a push button start.
I stopped the car to finish putting the van on, all ready to go i turned the key nothing happened, could not see any loose wires or any other reason.
So i called NRMA, he came out did the same as i did, could not see anything wrong, so he hops back in the car removed the key looked at it put it back in and started the car.
It never happened again and i newer found out why :lol:

Hans
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A'van Aliner

J.REEVES

Post by J.REEVES » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:32 am

Old Techo wrote:G'day JR,

Surely your 200 has a good old fashioned door key to get in? :o
If all else fails read the manual!

Found a key, I was carrying it all the time it is integrated into the zapper.

This key lets you open the door and then if the zapper is not working (flat battery) you hold the body of the zapper (Toyota symbol side) against the start button then you get an alarm and then push the start button.

Now all I have to do is remember the procedure.

JR
:razz:

Ancient Mariner

Post by Ancient Mariner » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:58 am

Happy days JR, I know the feeling
Graham

Return to “General Tech Talk”