Tech questions answered by the forum 'brains trust'
masterplumber

Google

Post by masterplumber » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:00 pm

I have been googling things such as,

Clear sticky viscous fluid

Clear sticky gel

among others.

Anyhow, this morning, I got a phone call from the MIL asking if other people could access her wifi dongle?

I told her that unless they knew her password it would be impossible, especially as she only turns it on in short bursts.

MIL went on to explain that she was performing a google search and "Clear sticky viscous fluid" came up as suggestions.

Now, I did use my google account when I initially set up her tablet, to introduce her to email and WWW, but I am in Brisbane and she is on Bribie Island (about an hour drive away)

:confused:

Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

glanyard

Re: Google

Post by glanyard » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:28 pm

Wow! She really is getting excellent reception on Bribie Island.
Jerry, you must have left your details on her dongle, but I don't know how she could get stuff over such a distance. If she lived next door, she could.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:46 pm

MP, this is what I think.

If you established or used your Google account (meaning logged in at the time) on a PC then Google will follow you everywhere you go. So if you then Googled on another PC, anywhere in the world, and are logged in it knows your history and habits.

I'd be careful as to what you Google now in what you think is the privacy of your own PC :mrgreen:
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Lance

Post by Lance » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:06 pm

Yeah, Google can be a trap.
I did a search for some adhesive 3 days ago, now that item is appearing in a sponsored box at the bottom of the CNN News page I open regularly.
Lance & Anne
......always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:33 pm

Lance that is all to do with clearing your cookies. The bits of info they can hook back up to in your computer.

I clear mine occasionally but it is a pain in the butt to log in on the forums and every thing else once the cookies have been cleared.
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Jay&dee

Post by Jay&dee » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:57 am

Talking about cookies.... I use to sell them when I was a Rep for Arnotts.
However, I agree that a lot of items I search for appearon my computer. I now know the reason.
Jay&Dee

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:34 am

Some Google tracking help.....

Does Google Track What I Search For?
Yes, Google definitely tracks all of your search history. If you want to use any of Google’s services, and utilize their personalization of the services that you receive, you must be signed in with a Google account in order for this to happen.

Once you are signed in, Google begins actively tracking

What you are searching for
How you are searching
Your search patterns
What ads you’re interested in
What you click on
What images you view
What videos you watch
This is all detailed out in Google’s terms of service, as well as the Google privacy policies.

While these are dense legal documents, it's wise to at least give them a quick look if you are at all concerned about how Google tracks and stores your information.

Does Google Track My Search History Even if I'm Not Signed In?
Every single time we log onto the Internet, we leave traces of our identity via IP addresses, MAC addresses, and other unique identifiers. In addition, most web browsers, sites, and applications require the user to opt in to the utilization of cookies – simple software that basically make our web browsing experience more enjoyable, personalized, and efficient.

If you’re not logged into Google, there is still a wide variety of information that you’re making available to Google simply by being online. That includes:

Where you are in the world geographically
Your IP address
Information about the Google services you use and how you might be using them based on your activity patterns
What ads you might click on
What device you are using
Server information
Identifying information gleaned from your use of partner services.
This information is used for targeted ad placement and search relevancy. It’s also made available to people who own sites that are tracking data via Google’s statistics tool, Google Analytics; they won’t necessarily be able to drill down and see from what neighborhood you’re accessing their site, but other identifying information (device, browser, time of day, approximate geo, time on site, what content is being accessed) will be available.

More info... https://www.lifewire.com/g00/stop-googl ... .com.au%2F
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Return to “General Tech Talk”