UHF CB radio - 40 channels OK

Tech questions answered by the forum 'brains trust'
A'van

Re: UHF CB radio - 40 channels OK

Post by A'van » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:35 pm

Bassett wrote:A'van, this GME UHF might be what you need. TX3510WS DSP Compact UHF radio, Wireless,
https://www.gme.net.au/catalogue/fixed- ... 510ws.aspx
Thank's Bassett.

No, I'm not getting one, my accent is that bad most people would not understand me :lol:

And they will only do what they did last time i had one, change the rules so they can sell more units :roll:

But that one you got there seems like a good idea, i was only thinking about the safety aspect.

Hans
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A'van Aliner

rredbeak

Post by rredbeak » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:43 pm

TY OT I'm pleased you cleared that up. ihad really good audio both ways with the truckie so I'm now assume we were both on the old 40 sets.i do understand with the new 12.5 spacing they have to filter out the wider frqs so it would sound choppy using 40 to 80 sets but the 40 sets with the 25 kHz would easily pass the 12.5..

cheers n ty rod
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:44 pm

Old Techo wrote:With FM (frequency modulation) the audio volume level is what causes the centre radio frequency to deviate. So soft is a small deviation and loud is large deviation. The loud limit will be set so as not to cause the deviation to go too far and break into the next channel. A bit like a large vehicle taking up more than 1 parking space.

Perhaps PD can add some value here or correct my fading recollections?
Adequately explaining the theory of how distortion of the audio signal is caused when the FM deviation is too high is a bit hard unless the readers appreciate that FM transmissions have side bands just as AM signals. However a simple explanation is that if you don't get all the side bands through the bandwidth filter in the receiver then you will get a distorted reception. This is more severe in FM as there are more side bands in a FM signal than the two in an AM signal.

A good explanation of frequency modulation is in that link. The subject is started with the simple explanation of how FM and AM signals get their name. There is even a moving diagram showing the difference. That is how the signal looks when viewed with an oscilloscope. What the oscilloscope displays is the sum of the individual signals at the output of the transmitter. In the real world the output of a transmitter has many signals making up the transmitted signal. You need a spectrum analyser to display them. If you look at the table under the heading "Bessel functions" you will see how the number of side bands increase with increasing modulation deviation. In a nutshell that is why an audio signal of 3 kHz bandwidth requires a transmitted bandwidth of 16 kHz in a 25 kHz channel transmission where as an AM signal only requires 6 kHz.

Asking me to explain things has elevated the complex nature of discussion and taken the thread off topic. I suggest if members want to discuss things further then we should do it on the PM system.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:31 am

PeterD wrote:Asking me to explain things has elevated the complex nature of discussion and taken the thread off topic.
Thanks PD.... but by 'add value' I meant in only lay terms in the context of 40 vs 80 :)
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Return to “General Tech Talk”