diesel heaters

Tech questions answered by the forum 'brains trust'
budget

diesel heaters

Post by budget » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:02 pm

hi guys and girls,
i am thinking of buying a diesel heater and would love to know from peoples experiences if possible. we have a golf lindwood and i was thinking of putting it under the bed with the tank (ten litre) in the boot if possible.
love to hear from people that have one
regards paul

dieseltojo

Re: diesel heaters

Post by dieseltojo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:43 pm

Hi Paul, I have never heard of any one that didn't like a diesel or a gas heater once they installed one.

There are a few tips and tricks with all these things and if you type into google there is plenty of info. Including the cheaper knock off units on the market sold a fair bit cheaper.

I know our heater has opened up lots of cool weather camping for us. :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Jay&dee

Post by Jay&dee » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:47 am

Our diesel heater has been a blessing during the cold winter months of travelling.
If you decide to install the heater yourself, make sure that your lay all the pieces out on a bench / table.
Familiarise yourself with all the components etc.
And no mater where you place the heater make sure that you attach all the external hoses and pipes and wiring etc prior to bolting the heater to the floor. Otherwise you will find it almost impossible to attach same under the van .
I made sure that the exhaust pipe was not blowing fumes under the van.

Rule No 1.... Refer to the F*&%ing Manual (RTFM)
Rule No.2 ... RTFM.
Rule No. 3 ... refer to rule No1 and Rule No.2.
Good luck with your new purchase.
Jay&Dee

loub

Post by loub » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:36 am

As an owner of a Golf Linwood ,i went for gas instead of diesel ,they both do the job well but i did not want the fuel tank in the front boot.IMHO if you spill a bit you can't get the smell out and the oily residue,again my opinion.A bit of post. :razz: peter
BT50 2013 Auto 3.2 Diesel
21 Golf Linwood

bagmaker

Post by bagmaker » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:41 am

do a search on aliexpress for parking heaters, make sure you get one with the right voltage for you.
Should cost around $550 for a full kit, make sure the mufflers are included. Self install, take your time, use big wires from the battery (they have a large start current) and mount the pump with rubber isolators.
10 litres would be a huge tank, 5 would be plenty unless you have loads of space.

Great gadgets :lol:

tar trekka

Post by tar trekka » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:41 am

Hi Paul,

I had a Webasto Diesel in my old van, with an 11 litre tank on the Rear Bumper Bar.

I'm going to put one in my new van with a 5 litre tank on the Draw Bar.

5 litres is plenty, from my experience.

Diesel is much easier to obtain & much cheaper than Gas, particularly in Remote Areas.

I've paid $11-50 a kilo for Gas in Remote WA.

Save your Gas for the Fridge, Cooking & Hot Water.

Tar Trekka.

Any day above the ground is a great day.

Return to “General Tech Talk”