Anderson Plug

Tech questions answered by the forum 'brains trust'
loub

Anderson Plug

Post by loub » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:15 am

I have a current set up of a single anderson plug to charge the battery in the van from the tug,i want to add another plug on the van side for the fridge so i can swap between charging the battery and powering the fridge when on the move.To do this i was going to take the fridge wire out of the 12 pin plug and splice into the earth wire on the other anderson plug and put these into the new anderson plug.I don't need to run both at the same time,does that sound ok.Peter :razz:
BT50 2013 Auto 3.2 Diesel
21 Golf Linwood

PeterD

Re: Anderson Plug

Post by PeterD » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:01 pm

I would suggest running a heavy pair of wires straight from the fridge to the new plug. Van manufactureres use too light gauge wire generally.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

J.REEVES

Post by J.REEVES » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:17 pm

Hi Loud,
I think charging the van battery from the tow vehicle is almost a lost cause these days unless you fit one of the step-up inverters and that will mean more current flow through the plug. Most modern vehicles are only interested in their battery and as the engine bay gets hot the charge voltage drops off so the poor old cool battery in the van will get hardly enough voltage to charge.

My preferred option these days is have the van battery on solar all the time provided you have a reasonable amount of solar. I personally have 500watts and that has always kept the battery full even on overcast days. It may not be an option if you have an all electric fridge but at $200.00 for 200watts of solar its starting to look like a good way to go.

JR
:razz:

hawkie

Post by hawkie » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:08 pm

Why not make it simple and just add a HD switch to swap from Bat to fridge as all those wires should already be in place so minimal extra work

something like this and parallel up the connections

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toggle-switc ... 1102092400
Sig can be done

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:53 pm

Because you want both actions taking place simultaneously. It takes most of your trip to charge the batteries and you want your fridge on power at the same time.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

Return to “General Tech Talk”