Clutch Problem

Tech questions answered by the forum 'brains trust'
masterplumber

Clutch Problem

Post by masterplumber » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:24 pm

Hi all,
I have a Hilux Workmate ute with manual transmission.

Build date: 10/2010

When I last drove it, about 6 weeks ago, there was no sign of anything wrong.

Went to move it yesterday, depressed the clutch pedal and it lurched forward when I turned the key to start.

Put it in neutral and it started but won't allow gear selection with the motor running and clutch pedal depressed.

One thing that strikes me as unusual, is that there is only one fluid reservoir for both clutch and brake master cylinders.

Reservoir is full and no sign of leaks anywhere.

Not sure how much movement the slave cylinder should have, but it is roughly 1/2".

Figure if the clutch plate was worn there would be less grip, not more.

Could the clutch plate be stuck onto the fly-wheel?

If so, any way out that doesn't require gear box removal?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Regards
Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

J.REEVES

Re: Clutch Problem

Post by J.REEVES » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi Gerry,
I could not say for sure but ½” movement does not seem enough to me.

As you cannot get it in gear I would expect the clutch is not disengaging.

I would lean towards the slave cylinder or master cylinder not doing its job but yes you would think there would be a leak but not always. Could be just a crook rubber piston/seal and it has an air lock may be try bleeding the slave but this would not fix it only prove a point.

Can you get at the arm the slave cylinder is pushing and leaver it to feel how far it travels before you feel you are actually pushing on the clutch fingers.

A couple of other possibilities but best not to think about that yet. Thrust race failure or clutch diaphragm failure. Then the box will need to come out but really does not sound that drastic.

JR
:razz:

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:03 pm

If the clutch action has changed due mechanical failure it should be immediately evident through the pedal feel. I mean if I got in my Hilux and pushed the clutch pedal I would know if it had changed characteristics even just a bit. I reckon it would have to change a fair bit not to release.

Does the pedal feel lighter than usual?

Does the pick up point of the pedal feel further down than normal?

Hard to imagine anything breaking whilst parked but a sticking clutch plate would explain. I've only ever had that happen badly once but on my old Fergie tractor. If the pressure plate has fingers then I think more than one would have to break to be a non-release issue. On a Falcon once I had a cracked fork that limited the pressure plate travel making gear changing difficult due some clutch plate drag.

If it lurched forward when you tried to start it then you were in first gear. I'd put it in top gear, foot brake held on, pump the clutch pedal a few times to ensure all free travel is removed and hold it down, use the starter to crank the engine hoping to break any seizing. If necessary parallel another cranking battery to ensure the starter motor has plenty of amps. Flick the ignition key on/off a few times to see if you can jerk it free. Do not crank for any more than 1 second but keep repeating.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Engel

Post by Engel » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:58 pm

Happens in tractors that have been left out in the weather. The solution to it was start the tractor in gear depress the clutch and find a strong tree.
Not recommended for a passenger type of vehicle.

Browny_r33

Post by Browny_r33 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:01 pm

Hi Gerry

Maybe
If you parked the vehicle after if it was raining or had damp condition while it has been parked the clutch now be stuck to the flywheel, jump the vehicle to start driving and put your foot on and off the accelerator to try and free it up.
Cheers
Norm & Jan

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:03 pm

Thanks for the replies, but the chutch plate won't release.

Have done some more googling and rang the bloke that services the hilux, and about 1/2" of travel is about right for the fork.

However, it seems that the clutch fork on the hilux isn't as u breakable as the rest of the ute.

Might start by buying a new cranking battery as it seems that they are off their peak performance after only 6.6 years. :D

If that doesn't sort it, I will insert a usb camera through the gap beside the clutch fork and look for anything obvious.

Off for further heafing tests tomorrow so will report back in a few days.

Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:40 am

While at Costco for my hearing test, I noticed that they also sell batteries, so picked up a new Exide battery.

Fitted it, and on the forth turn of the ignition switch the clutch broke free :D

Never too old to learn, I guess.

Thanks for the feed back.

Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

Return to “General Tech Talk”