Changing a globe in your nuker

Tech questions answered by the forum 'brains trust'
Old Techo

Changing a globe in your nuker

Post by Old Techo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:46 am

With a modern nuker (microwave oven) they expect you to take it to a service centre just to change a failed globe :roll:

How many service people does it take to change a globe....... I hear you ask?

I found it rather odd that a layperson could safely undo one screw inside the cooking chamber and change the magnetron yet be very strongly discouraged from changing the globe. This is understandable with this Panasonic design as to find the globe one has to undo several screws and remove the entire outer case. This exposes one to the high risk of electric shock even when the nuker has been unplugged from 240 volts. Like any power supply there can be capacitors that will hold a dangerous charge for a very long time after power has been disconnected.

The obvious question is why design this unit to prevent globe changes by the user?

Even the globe is not a regular 25 watter like the sample on the right. The nuker globe on the left is attached to a moulded base fitted with a couple of spade lugs.
microwave globe.jpg

The globe goes in the hole presently occupied by the dark blue-handled screwdriver...
microwave oven.jpg
I am posting this purely for information and a chance to complain about design. Imagine if you had to call a licensed sparky every time you needed a globe changed in your house?

Please remember that even UNPLUGGED electrical appliances can KILL.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Cyclone

Re: Changing a globe in your nuker

Post by Cyclone » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:46 pm

I'm hearing you OT.
Before I got my Electrical Licance I had A TV repair business. I also repaired microwave ovens. I had a restricted electrical licance which was endorsed to repair communications IT and microwave ovens. I could legally repair a microwave oven but could not touch a toaster. And the kicker is the safety office considered a microwave as a coms divide because it used microwave.

And on the lamp change I had what LG caled a light wave oven. It was a combination microwave, grill and convection. It used a helogen heat lamp to grill. The light in this oven failed. I spent over an hour trying to dismantle the oven to get to the lamp. In the end I gave up.
Sid
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

Return to “General Tech Talk”