Anderson plug

Tech questions answered by the forum 'brains trust'
blueanlou

Anderson plug

Post by blueanlou » Wed May 31, 2017 8:08 am

This topic has probably been done before but I had a quick look but could not find what I was looking for.

We picked up the new van yesterday only to find it had an Anderson plug which I specifically asked to be wired into the 12 pin when ordered but the dealer said it had to be separate from the 12 pin to stop overheating issues.
When we took delivery of the previous van I called the manufacturer and he said it was ok and walked me through the process and had no issues so the question is is it preferable to have a seperate circuit rather than using the existing. The dealer also said in the past there has been vehicle computer issues with overloading of circuits.

Thanks folks

Neil

Old Techo

Re: Anderson plug

Post by Old Techo » Wed May 31, 2017 8:22 am

G'day Neil,

I'm not following the detail of that conversation very well. Not sure if you mean sharing the wiring loom.

To provide a good reliable high-current-capable source of power from the tug to the caravan it is best done with 2 substantial wires direct from the tug battery to the high current load in the caravan and joined via an appropriately rated Anderson connector. So this wiring/circuit would be in addition to any wiring associated with your 12 pin connector.

I would go a step further and fit an ignition operated relay in the Anderson feed so it is only active when the tug engine is running or at least in the accessory mode. This is to prevent the tug battery from going flat when left unattended for long travel breaks as the van fridge can draw 15 to 20 amps.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

blueanlou

Post by blueanlou » Wed May 31, 2017 8:41 am

OT ..thank you for your input which backs up pretty much what the dealer said so will call the sparky and get him on the job. A few years ago I would have done it myself but with all this modern computerised stuff it is better left to the experts rather than end up with rather expensive electrical repairs.

Neil

rredbeak

Post by rredbeak » Wed May 31, 2017 8:50 am

they refused to single wire my Anderson as well.had to be separate but they gave me no explanation.so if its correct then I understand better now..rod
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

rredbeak

Post by rredbeak » Wed May 31, 2017 8:53 am

just had my van fully serviced n inspected n I see among other things they fitted a new Andersen plug.when I hooked up the van it was near impossible to get it into the other half on my car.
just wonder how close they are to interchangeable with different brands..getting it out was a job too.

the old one was broken so I'm pleased they just did it for me but it was an easier fit but tight
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

J.REEVES

Post by J.REEVES » Wed May 31, 2017 8:55 am

Hi Neil,
Using the big pins on the 12pin plug is not in the same class as using an Anderson plug for high current work.
I personally would not consider anything other than an Anderson plug to carry continuous high load.

Vehicle computer overheating will depend on what vehicle you own it’s not so much the computer overheating it is more about the vehicle computer getting confused or possibly wiring overheating.

The following link to Lumen ECU’s site has a video that will give you some idea of what wiring is all about on newer vehicles.
http://www.lumen.com.au/products.html

JR
:razz:

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » Wed May 31, 2017 11:03 am

rredbeak wrote:just had my van fully serviced n inspected n I see among other things they fitted a new Andersen plug.when I hooked up the van it was near impossible to get it into the other half on my car.
just wonder how close they are to interchangeable with different brands..getting it out was a job too.

the old one was broken so I'm pleased they just did it for me but it was an easier fit but tight
Get yourself one of these and fit it to your van plug. Makes life a whole lot easier.

rredbeak

Post by rredbeak » Wed May 31, 2017 11:09 am

TY B&C.
ill go buy some...Rod
Image Image Image Image

blueanlou

Post by blueanlou » Wed May 31, 2017 1:54 pm

That's it decision made Anderson plug it is.....thank you everyone.

Neil

tar trekka

Post by tar trekka » Wed May 31, 2017 5:26 pm

Hi there,

A simple Loop made from a piece of Nylon Webbing attached to the Anderson Plug is great for removing the plug.

Very CHEAP also.

Tar Trekka.

Any day above the ground is a great day.

Return to “General Tech Talk”