Vehicle accessory wiring and capacity

Tech questions answered by the forum 'brains trust'
jessdogster

Vehicle accessory wiring and capacity

Post by jessdogster » Sat May 13, 2017 11:43 am

Some info from our techies please...

I am about to take delivery of a new 200 series and intend to install a Baintech (30amp) fuse block along with an ARB compressor in the rear RH panel (the compressor is pre-wired).
I will install a second battery under the bonnet for added accessories as outlined hereunder (including the compressor) and run 6mm wire to the fuse block.
I will need to install 2 x anderson plugs (caravan +ESC) + a dual 12 volt plug into the cargo area for the Waeco + some minor wiring for a UHF which I will mount under the seat (hopefully)

1. Should the two (50a) anderson plugs (caravan and caravan ESC) both be 6 B&S or is 6mm wiring
suffice? (I see some 6mm wiring on Ebay is 50amp rated - a little confused here :confused: ). They
will not be wired to the fuse block.
2. Should both Anderson plugs be wired direct from the the aux battery or alternatively, the ESC from
the main battery and the other from the accessory battery?
3. Is 6mm dual core wire suffice for the 12 volt plugs from the fuse block to run the waeco.
4. What is the max current draw of a Waeco 50? - I'm trying to figure out which fuse i should use in
the fuse block - 10amp?

I intend to provide the wire to the dealer to undertake the jobs and am a little confused about wiring categories 6 B&S and 6mm in particular. Advice will go to figuring out how much wire I need to purchase.

As always, advice gratefully received.

regards
Jdog

J.REEVES

Re: Vehicle accessory wiring and capacity

Post by J.REEVES » Sat May 13, 2017 12:37 pm

Hi Jdog,
I am going through a similar thing setting up my new 200.

On wire size 6mm wire could be one of two copper cross sections: 6mm2 could be actually
1. Marine = 6mm2
or
2. Auto = 4.58mm2
3. 6B&S = 13.7mm2
so just be careful with wire size.

With the ESC if it is an AL-KO they recommend a 30amp fuse so you could need a reasonable size wire but best for someone with an ESC to comment.

The other Anderson plug I would go for 6B&S or 13.7mm2 wire and tap of that before it reaches the Anderson plug for your fridge and compressor. I am assuming you have a three way fridge in the van and the Waeco in the back of the vehicle. Not sure what the Waeco pulls but should not be too much maybe three or four amps, my 40ltr Engel pulls about 2.75amps.

To be politically correct the ESC should run from the main battery but that would not worry me if I used the aux battery.

I have just purchased the wiring loom for the 7pin plug (will change to 12pin) as you need this as it has a black box so not to overload the small wires Toyota use. Problem is both interior rear side covers need to be removed to get to plugs to fit the loom.

This is a wire size sheet from Redarc
wire size.JPG
JR
:razz:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Engel

Post by Engel » Sat May 13, 2017 12:44 pm

The 6mm cable sold on ebay is only about 5 mm of copper It is a con and it sure is capable of carrying 50 A.
I use 6mm cable for all of mine and it does the job fine.
One of the missing bit of info is are you intending to run a caravan fridge from the vehicle and is it an absorption fridge as if you are you should go to the larger 6 B&S.
I use 6mm even though I have an absorption fridge but it doesn't perform to well due to load but I knew that before I started.
The ESC is supposed to come from the main battery and 6 mm is fine for that.
I thought the 200 series had two batteries in the engine bay.
I bought all my cable from http://www.springers.com.au/engine.asp? ... 20ASC&PN=2 as solar suppliers are cheaper as they have a bigger turnover.
Waeco draw about 7A as per the manual https://www.getawaeco.com.au/files/Manu ... inc_DZ.pdf

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Sat May 13, 2017 2:44 pm

Engel wrote:I thought the 200 series had two batteries in the engine bay.
Yes, the one I saw did.

Before Xmas I was passing the local Toyota dealer so I called in for a sticky-beak. I had a look at a Sahara and saw 2 batteries under the bonnet. I said to the salesman was it normal to include an auxiliary battery? He said no, both bats were in parallel and used for starting.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

A'van

Post by A'van » Sat May 13, 2017 2:54 pm

Old Techo wrote:
Engel wrote:I thought the 200 series had two batteries in the engine bay.
Yes, the one I saw did.

Before Xmas I was passing the local Toyota dealer so I called in for a sticky-beak. I had a look at a Sahara and saw 2 batteries under the bonnet. I said to the salesman was it normal to include an auxiliary battery? He said no, both bats were in parallel and used for starting.
You didn't buy one :lol:

Hans
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A'van Aliner

J.REEVES

Post by J.REEVES » Sat May 13, 2017 4:58 pm

Yes last year they had two batteries in parallel this year one single larger battery which works out well as you can fit a second aux battery easily. There is a great gapping empty hole to fit an aux battery and the screw holes are there so at least that is a simple fit not like other things.

They now have only got a single fuel tank but it is the size of the old two tanks.

JR
:razz:

jessdogster

Post by jessdogster » Sat May 13, 2017 5:03 pm

Thanks for the info thus far everyone - very informative and much appreciated.

My current 200 has 2 batteries but the new model (2016+) only has the one hence why I am placing the auxiliary battery where the second battery used to be and fitting a Redarc BCDC battery charger

cheers
Jdog

Frank & Brenda
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Sat May 13, 2017 8:25 pm

Just my 2 bobs worth, instead of using cigarette lighter plugs for the waeco use a merit plug, they have a more positive grip on the socket and are far better for a fridge, you can buy a merit cigarette socket combination
Your waeco fridge plug should already be fitted with the merit plug by removing the red tip

PJJJ

Post by PJJJ » Sun May 14, 2017 11:33 pm

Try looking up Projet 200 . I found it very helpful with my 200 series

jessdogster

Post by jessdogster » Mon May 15, 2017 6:43 pm

I've found these on Ebay and making the wiring much more attractive (and easier) so I'll get a few of those based on the relatively high (maxi) capacity fuses required.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/401261894998 ... EBIDX%3AIT

I'm going to err on the higher capacity side of the required wiring.
Main/Starter battery
1. ESC (red Anderson plug) - 6B&S wiring + 30amp maxi fuse

Accessory Battery
2. 2nd Anderson Plug (Caravan) - 6B&S wiring + ?amp maxi fuse (help here please guys - the Anderson
plugs are 50 amp rated)
3. Compressor - 6 B&S wiring + 40amp maxi fuse
4. 6mm wiring to fuse block from battery - no fuse
5. 6mm wiring from fuse block to accessories.

I await advice re 2. as to the required amp for the maxi fuse - I have a 3 way fridge in the van and also 2 x 110ah batteries

thank you all again for advice thus far.
cheers
Jdog

Return to “General Tech Talk”