Jayco leaking window

Tech questions answered by the forum 'brains trust'
gadfly

Jayco leaking window

Post by gadfly » Tue May 12, 2015 12:59 pm

We have one of the last Jayco 21.65-4 Sterlings off the line- just out of warranty- and we have had leaking onto the ensuite floor when encountering the heavy rains in SW WA recently. The rear starboard window is the culprit. I have taped up the window edges but still it leaks. I am wondering if the vent above the window is letting water inside between the panels. I don't want to cover the vent also as this is supposed to be open for gas usage ventilation.

We are in the middle of a 3 month trip so can't take it to a Jayco dealership for repair.

Has anybody had a similar problem, or any ideas.

Thanks, bob

dieseltojo

Re: Jayco leaking window

Post by dieseltojo » Tue May 12, 2015 2:44 pm

Hi Bob,
Being a side window, with wind driven rain I would suspect the actual window support wind out system. Static conditions would possibly be a re caulk on the top and sides.
It's impossible to tell right off so attend to the lot as a first step and hopefully it will fix the problem.

I must say if I have had to do a repair it has all ways been a forward facing window or just poor sealing by the manufacturer.
I really do dislike Dometic windows due to the problems with them.

Vents are put in by untrained hands that do not run sealant around the wall cut out prior to just screwing in the vent. Remove the wall vent and seal the complete wall area of the cutout, if water is getting in there.
All the best with it, mostly trial and error.
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

tar trekka

Post by tar trekka » Tue May 12, 2015 6:00 pm

Hi there,

Those windows often leak through the winder mechanism.

Solution to the problem, fill the winder with grease.

Tar Trekka.

[/Any day above the ground is a great day.b]

gadfly

Post by gadfly » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:07 pm

I am a year late, but thanks for the replies. I found the problem to be the factory installed vent over the toilet window, just below roof level. With heavy rain, water was cascading off the roof and over the vent and some got into the vent a d seeped down between the sandwich layers and came out along the inner window seal, making it look like a leaking window.

The vent is now permanently sealed, no more problems. I did write to jayco but no reply. There is a warning that this vent must remain open for gas venting reasons, but it's either explosion or water!! I'll take the explosion anyday!!

inca222

Post by inca222 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:36 am

I should think that gas being heavier than air should vent through the vent in the lower part of the door.You would be asphyxiated by the time it reached the roof vent. The repairer I use in Coffs Harbour told me that the upper wall vents in vans were most likely the entry point for water in a large percentage of water ingression problems presented at his workshop.

Lance

Post by Lance » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:52 am

I imagine that top vent is there to help create a draught down to the lower door vent should a gas leak occur. It's there for a very good reason.
:o No way known would I be blocking either vent. :shock:

If you're concerned about run off water entering that vent simply 'sikaflex' a small gutter/spout over the vent to deflect any run off from the roof.
That said, I can't say I've heard of that vent causing issues before.
Lance & Anne
......always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:22 am

Lance wrote:I imagine that top vent is there to help create a draught down to the lower door vent should a gas leak occur. It's there for a very good reason.
:o No way known would I be blocking either vent. :shock:

If you're concerned about run off water entering that vent simply 'sikaflex' a small gutter/spout over the vent to deflect any run off from the roof.
That said, I can't say I've heard of that vent causing issues before.
Lance, back in 1976 when I did the LPG licing course, there was a requirement that the two vents be diagonally opposite to create a draught both for the possibility of a gas leak and to vent the products of combustion when an appliance is used.

In those days if there was a low vent on the kerb side front, the other vent had to be high on the other side rear, but that hasbeen relaxed a bit now, but you still need 2 vents of the prescribed effective opening.

Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:21 pm

MP,

My 2004 Roadstar is exactly like that ;-)

One vent is at the extreme front, right side and at ceiling level. The other vent is in the bottom of the door, in the step well, on the left side at the rear.

Can't get any more 3D diagonal than that :)
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

gadfly

Post by gadfly » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:29 pm

Thanks for the replies. I did try putting a plastic strip on top of the vent to deflect run off but this had little effect. There is a vent on the opposite side in the shower recess, i think i will leave it at that. We very rarely use gas anyway.

Return to “General Tech Talk”