darling river run

For all RV travel & touring information on New South Wales
ozbiters

darling river run

Post by ozbiters » Wed May 06, 2015 4:26 pm

hi going up to longreach in august 2015 would like to go up along darling river run any ideas on roads and what side of river is best to travel how much dirt road any ideas would be appreciated any free camp spots unfortuneatly only have 4 weeks

Old Techo

Re: darling river run

Post by Old Techo » Wed May 06, 2015 4:33 pm

Simon was the forum boss here 3+ years ago. He has a pretty handy website here.... http://simonbayliss.com.au/darling-river-run.html
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Ross Graham

Post by Ross Graham » Wed May 06, 2015 7:00 pm

Did the Darling Run last July North to South. Started off at May's Bend on the river at Bourke for a few days. Then camped at Louth then Idalia Stn. Tilpa and Wilcannia. Idalia and Trilby are run by brothers but we were pleased with Idalia as it is a lot smaller with grassy sites etc. Check on the roads before you go. Where are you going after Bourke ?.

ozbiters

Post by ozbiters » Thu May 07, 2015 8:55 am

hi thanks after that we go to lightning ridge then see how time goes woul like to find a nice dam or lake
theresa dam is very nice but time constraints

Ross Graham

Post by Ross Graham » Thu May 07, 2015 7:47 pm

Hi again, Nice camp on the river at Brewarrina and also near the hospital at Walgett. You will enjoy Theresa Dam. Have fun.

Dougster

Post by Dougster » Thu May 28, 2015 3:37 pm

Just come back from doing Darling River Run ,travelled north from Wentworth to Bourke
east side,Road out of Pooncarrie to Menindee bit rough to start <First 30 kms or so> but after that OK
But I have Out back suspension on Van.Detoured to White Cliffs from Menindee all tar road.
Willacania to Louth ,Tilba OK east side all the way to Bourke,If any rain do not attempt pulling van the black soil would bog up really quickly

Great camp at Pooncarrie ,Burke and Wills camp at Minindee very good as well,by bridge at Louth good overnighter,
Have a good trip

ozbiters

Post by ozbiters » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:06 pm

thanks everyone with your replies leaving from nurioopta s.a
thanks gary

GerryP

Post by GerryP » Thu May 05, 2016 9:49 pm

Would anyone here have an update as to what the road is like between Pooncarie and Menindee Lakes, following the Darling? The last report here was a while ago and has probably changed - hoping for a more recent report.

We're towing our van and don't mind dirt or gravel, I just hate corrugations!

Just contemplating whether whether we'll go this way, or follow the bitumen from Mildura to Broken Hill in a couple of weeks time. It looks a lot more interesting than following the highway.
Cheers, Gerry
2017 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
2012 Traveller Sensation Pinnacle 21'
Member VKS737 - mobile 3535

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Thu May 05, 2016 10:47 pm

My info is that a lot of rain is coming to central Australia, but Broken Hill just may get a bit as well.

Menindee lakes are low at present so they need the rain.

I would keep an eye out for the forecasts though. It has been 8 years since I was there so I can't comment on the roads.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/outlooks/ ... ew/summary
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

lizard

Post by lizard » Fri May 06, 2016 7:59 am

we are at Mays Bend , been here 8 days , 4 of those waiting for track to dry out , forecast is rain saturday so we are leaving today - staying on bitumen & heading north

Return to “Touring NSW”