Travelling from Port Stephens NSW to top end of WA via Isa.

For all RV travel & touring information on Western Australia
cherylsteve

Travelling from Port Stephens NSW to top end of WA via Isa.

Post by cherylsteve » Tue May 26, 2015 7:47 am

we are trying to put together a trip for mid next year from home here at Anna Bay NSW up to the WA top end.
We will be travelling with our Coromal POPTOP and Toyota Kluger.

We would like to go via Mt Isa and as we don't have an off road need to stay on sealed roads.
Also looking to free camp as often as possible.

I am looking for advice re this trip....the best route to take from here and suggested free camps.
Also needing to know how difficult it'd be to secure fuel once we get further into the territory and WA.

Looking forward to replies. Thanking you in advance.

glanyard

Re: Travelling from Port Stephens NSW to top end of WA via I

Post by glanyard » Tue May 26, 2015 7:53 am

I think your first task is to plan your route, which is dependent on what you want to see along the way and how much time you have for this trip. Age and how far you travel each day is another factor. Then look at the CAW for free camps along that route asking for objections if any. Fuel is not a real problem in the outback anymore but the price is and suggestions will come in when you get back to us.
Sorry but "the ball is now back on your side of the net".
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

cherylsteve

Post by cherylsteve » Tue May 26, 2015 8:39 am

Thanks.

We have the done the route to Mt Isa so really don't need to focus on any new places along this section.

Thought we'd hit Qld at MUNGINDI through to Mitchell and keep tracking to the Isa.

It's after the Isa that I am really looking for advice with a route.

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Tue May 26, 2015 2:22 pm

cherylsteve wrote:Thanks.

We have the done the route to Mt Isa so really don't need to focus on any new places along this section.
Thought we'd hit Qld at MUNGINDI through to Mitchell and keep tracking to the Isa.
It's after the Isa that I am really looking for advice with a route.
There is a good free camp at Mitchell, called Neil Turner Weir; water, toilets and free fire wood.
From the Isa travel to Tennant Creek, on the Barkly Hwy, because the fuel is cheaper than at Three Ways. Make sure you have enough range to get from Camooweal because the Barkly RH is always very, very expensive.
On the Stewart Hwy, Attack Creek is a reasonable free camp.
Further up the road, Dunmarra Road House is always a definite for us; good feed at the RH and you'll get a discount on fuel if you if buy so much and stay at the CP overnight. King River south of Katherine is also good.
From there you'll find a lot of good stopping places along the Victoria Hwy between Katherine and Broome; check out the CAW for more info.
Anything else, just ask.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Tue May 26, 2015 10:46 pm

Hi CherylSteve

While staying on main roads, you will find fuel outlets are closer than 300 kilometres apart. I have documented fuel outlets and campsites on highways such as the Barkly, Stuart, and Victoria Highways, and the Gibb River Road and Great Northern Highway through the Kimberley. These can be shared by Private Message if you request.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

tar trekka

Post by tar trekka » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:56 pm

Hi there,

We went through that way (Broome to Mt Isa via Katherine) last year towing a 2.4 tonne van without any problems, however we have 150 litre diesel fuel tanks.

With only 72 litres of petrol in the Kluger & towing, I suggest you fill up very regularly, regardless of the price of fuel.

Also top up your water at every opportunity.

You may not have the luxury of stopping where others recommend, so get the latest Camps book.

If you want company, choose Free camps with toilets.

Tar Trekka.

Any day above the ground is a great day.

Return to “Touring WA”