Pilbara turning away grey nomads

For all RV travel & touring information on Western Australia
glanyard

Re: Pilbara turning away grey nomads

Post by glanyard » Mon May 18, 2015 2:15 pm

The report I read on Face Book says that the change is a WA Government initiative, not the Roebourn Shire Council, after all they extract camping fees from people at 40 mile; or did in 2008.
Surely 28 days is enough and the money saved could be used in other camping facilities; I don't this should be regarded as a free lunch for the whole winter.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Mon May 18, 2015 10:57 pm

There wouldn't be many campgrounds around the country that allow longer stays than four weeks, and many a lot less.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Ancient Mariner

Post by Ancient Mariner » Tue May 19, 2015 2:52 pm

28 days is too long for me anyway, I am with OT and would rather move on to greener pastures. Is not caravanning about getting about and seeing it all .

jock

Post by jock » Tue May 19, 2015 5:17 pm

In our travels, We have found many, many places that lots of caravanners come to every year for months on end.....Venus Bay SA, Denham WA, Barn Hill WA, Broome WA, Karumba Qld. etc. etc. etc.
Every year, literally thousands of Mexicans make the trip North to stay for 2, 3 and more months at their favourite spot.
Who are you guys to try to dictate other peoples' camping and caravan holiday preferences. To some, unlike most of you, this is the only trip they make every year. If they want to stay for long periods at a time then that's their business..Many C.P's and Camping areas actually encourage long termers by giving discounts for long lengths of stay.
Now I know that the O.P. is complaining about a free or low cost camping area but some of the comments made by following posters allude to staying in one place is a No No regardless of where and what type the camp is.

Jock :o

muzz_on_line

Post by muzz_on_line » Tue May 19, 2015 5:48 pm

Thank you Jock, a voice of reason.

Having a caravan is not all about travelling the same as everyone else.

To each their own.

Some of these people cannot afford the travel so a long term stay is what they aim for.

And yes, some of them can afford the travel but it is their choice to stay in one place.

I know that they take up the best of locations and I can handle that.

In the end, people do what suits them best just as I do.

But then again, I haven't seen much of Oz yet, so I travel a lot.

When I get older it may be my wish to go soak up the climate in one place for a while.

Just my opinion.

You don't have to agree with my opinion but I don't force others to do as I do.

Cheers

Muzz

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Wed May 20, 2015 12:21 am

Yes Jock, you make a fair point, as have others who now head north for winter.

Years ago along the WA coast to the north of Perth, anywhere you could get to the beach was filled with shacks. This shut out the rest of the population. Now these have been removed and the councils who had to order the clean up do not allow camping or squatting, something similar is happening further north. While locals went to these campgrounds and there were a few regulars camping there ten or so years ago, now many more want to come in. The Roebourne/Karratha Shire does not allow free camping and caravan parks are usually full due to pressure on accommodation, there are very few opportunities for travellers to stop for a night or a few days in the area. Sunseekers filling these campgrounds for three months are preventing others from getting in. Share it, and 28 days is a good deal.

A few more similar campgrounds along the coast to meet the market would take the pressure off, and sunseekers could spend three months across three campgrounds; this is the ideal dream.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Wed May 20, 2015 9:31 am

jock wrote:Every year, literally thousands of Mexicans make the trip North to stay for 2, 3 and more months at their favourite spot.

Who are you guys to try to dictate other peoples' camping and caravan holiday preferences. To some, unlike most of you, this is the only trip they make every year. If they want to stay for long periods at a time then that's their business..Many C.P's and Camping areas actually encourage long termers by giving discounts for long lengths of stay.
Sorry Jockster, but I still have zero sympathy :roll:

Sure, I understand the desire by some to want to occupy favourite spots for months but I think it potentially selfish. No probs at any particular site if there remains enough vacancies to cater for the passing traveller who wants just one to a few nights - however if constantly chockers with long-term regulars, at the best times, that's another matter :(
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

loub

Post by loub » Wed May 20, 2015 9:57 am

I am with you OT. You struggle to get a spot in some places in QLD though the winter months . We have gone south the last few years in winter to escape the crowds.Peter :razz:
BT50 2013 Auto 3.2 Diesel
21 Golf Linwood

tar trekka

Post by tar trekka » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:56 pm

Hi there,

I recon 28 days is extremely generous & the camping spots being turned over on a more regular basis may actually bring a Nicer Class of Grey Nomads into the area.

No doubt the local businesses will be glad to see some new faces & new money.

I thought Australia was to be SHARED BY ALL.

Those who want to whinge because they are forced to share "A Piece Of Aussie Paradise" with others,
are probably so miserable they whinge about Santa Clause too.

Tar Trekka.

Any day above the ground is a great day.

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:29 pm

Damn!
What happened to Santa; is he OK?
glanyard :cry:
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

Return to “Touring WA”