Pilbara turning away grey nomads

For all RV travel & touring information on Western Australia
TommyG

Pilbara turning away grey nomads

Post by TommyG » Fri May 15, 2015 4:36 pm

We arrived at Gnoorea Point WA (40 mile beach) about 40Km south of Karratha yesterday. It's a spot we have visited off and on over the last 12 years.
There's not a lot there but fishing can be fruitful and it's a pleasant camping area right on the coast, where many have spent up to 3 months during the winter, some every year for several years.
40 mile beach is close enough to Karratha for people to do a run into town every couple of weeks to do a major shop, fill gas bottles and top up with water.
However, this year after arriving people were told that the rules have changed. From April this year there's a time limit of 28 days maximum stay.
Some of the regulars who have been coming here for years would not have driven the 1500 Km from Perth if they had known about the time limit and say they will not do so next year.
Cleaverville where many others spend their winter is about the same distance north of Karratha as 40 mile is south of Karratha, it has suffered the same fate, both are in the Roebourne shire.
It seems the Roebourne Shire no longer wants grey nomads to visit the area and spend money in Karratha or Roebourne.
That's a bit strange because with the downturn in the iron ore industry one would have thought local businesses would be looking forward to a few grey nomads dropping in for repairs, service and buying provisions.
We came into Karratha from the north and spent $400 restocking, refilled gas bottles and stayed overnight at a caravan park to do a laundry before heading off to 40 mile beach, where we intended to stay for a couple of months, meaning about 4 trips into town.
If you are thinking about visiting this area, I would advise you to come up the Great Northern Highway, there are some great spots between Meekatha and Port Headland you can continue on to more friendly locations and you can give the Roebourne shire a big miss.

J.REEVES

Re: Pilbara turning away grey nomads

Post by J.REEVES » Fri May 15, 2015 4:55 pm

Hi Tommy,
28 days is not that bad, does the camp area get crowded and the time limit is to allow others to get a camp.
My favourate camp spot had the same limit placed on it years ago but four weeks was enough time for us anyway.

JR
:razz:

ParamountCruiser

Post by ParamountCruiser » Fri May 15, 2015 5:44 pm

I think 28 days is fair.

It gives everyone a chance to stop at these places, not just the early birds that get there and set up for 3 - 4 months.
Neil

muzz_on_line

Post by muzz_on_line » Fri May 15, 2015 5:52 pm

Hi Tommy,

You could spend 28 days in one place, then travel 80 k's to the other for 28 days and then back and forth if you really needed to.

It is an inconvenience but only a small one.

Muzz

ParamountCruiser

Post by ParamountCruiser » Fri May 15, 2015 6:20 pm

Can't do that Muz as a maximum stay of 28 days applies within any three month period.

This new rule applies to 40 Mile Beach & Cleaverville.

http://karratha.wa.gov.au/sites/default ... le-web.pdf
Neil

muzz_on_line

Post by muzz_on_line » Fri May 15, 2015 6:31 pm

Thanks Neil.

Geez that is a bugger then.

Oh well, 28 days in heaven is better than none.

Muzz

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Fri May 15, 2015 7:12 pm

I'm rather perplexed by this report :???:

To me 28 days anywhere is extremely generous. There is no place in Oz I could possibly want to stay at for that long even if it had the best fishing ever and free grog was supplied.

I suppose what I am trying to say is what possible attraction is there in being at just the one place for that long - unless you are home?

My version of caravanning is to move regularly and see lots of different places and stay up to a week at the very best of them - and few qualify for that or longer.

Perhaps I am the odd man out :shock:
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Fri May 15, 2015 7:15 pm

Seems fair to me, we have to contend with 24 or 48 hours, You get 4 weeks and complain..... :) I'm with them that say give others a go as well.
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

dnsoakeshott

Post by dnsoakeshott » Fri May 15, 2015 7:29 pm

I tend to agree with you OT. Couldn't see ourselves sitting in one spot for months at a time. You'd never get around the country. 28 days seems pretty fair to me.
Regards Dean

Dean and Sandy
Who cares, Just Do It
2014 WK Jeep Grand Cherokee Blackhawk 3ltr TD
Jayco Sterling 23' (23.72-1) 2009 with slideout

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Fri May 15, 2015 8:01 pm

ParamountCruiser wrote:I think 28 days is fair.

It gives everyone a chance to stop at these places, not just the early birds that get there and set up for 3 - 4 months.
I totally agree. Share. 28 days is generous compared to many campgrounds. The locals also go camping at Gnoorea Point (40 Mile) so would not be pleased to find their weekend spoilt by a camp full of sun seekers from the south of the state set up there long term.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Return to “Touring WA”