Kununurra to Broome

For all RV travel & touring information on Western Australia
RAYNO

Kununurra to Broome

Post by RAYNO » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:49 pm

Traveliing Kununurra to Broome with van via national highway.. Would love to do the Gibb River Road and associated tourist sites would be without van as not off road. Any suggestions for best place to leave van in a secured area, preferable with power hooked up. Also travelling ideas ...long way around but how do you do both roads otherwise... What time frame would be required to do the GRR. No hurry to be anywhere really. Unfortunately in the busy period June/July ...any bookings required ? And where?i
Ideas much appreciated.

Motherhen

Re: Kununurra to Broome

Post by Motherhen » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:29 pm

Hi Rayno

As you will be doing the loop it doesn't matter which end you leave the van. Phone the caravan parks in Kununurra for quotes, but I think wanting power at peak season it will be full price. Try also Parry Creek Farm, which is between Kununurra and Wyndham along the Ord River not the Highway.

But I think your best chance would be at the smaller of two caravan parks in Derby. Try West Kimberley Lodge and Caravan Park.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

jock

Post by jock » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:59 am

Motherhen wrote:Hi Rayno

As you will be doing the loop it doesn't matter which end you leave the van. Phone the caravan parks in Kununurra for quotes, but I think wanting power at peak season it will be full price. Try also Parry Creek Farm, which is between Kununurra and Wyndham along the Ord River not the Highway.

But I think your best chance would be at the smaller of two caravan parks in Derby. Try West Kimberley Lodge and Caravan Park.
Ditto wot she sed.! Except !!! I would suggest the bigger C.P. in Derby. If Ian is still the owner there, He is the most obliging fellow and would bend over backwards to assist. We left our van, boat etc. there in great security and He only charged us $30. for the 3 weeks we were away on the Gibb/ Bungle Bungles. Don't know about leaving it on power though..would probably cost extra if it could be done... May not be a good idea to leave it unattended on power for so long though.- what do others think?

Jock :)

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:00 pm

Most caravan parks will charge a site fee for power which will mean leaving it occupying a site, or a much lesser storage fee for a storage area without power. Some have obliged and offered freezer space so fridge/freezer could be turned off. Then no power should be needed.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Jeffie

Post by Jeffie » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:57 am

Rayno.

If you want to do the GRR, Mitchell Plateau and Kalumburu without rushing it I would allow about 9 days for this section plus Windjana Gorge and Tunnel Creek another 2 days then Bungles another 3 days so all up about 2 weeks.
I would not bother with the section Napier Downs to Derby as it is just another sealed road with not a lot to see, IMO.
Have a look at the showgrounds at Kununurra they might store your van for a reasonable cost.
If your thinking of doing the Bungles after the GRR etc be warned of the cost of leaving your van at Mabel Downs CP (for the Bungles). We did so in 2012 when they charged me $35.00 for an unpowered site plus $20.00 per night to leave our van in the paddock.

Jeff.
Jeff & Heather
Isuzu MU-X LST
Coronet Grand Prince.

Return to “Touring WA”