Googs Track and CSR Part One

For all RV travel & touring information on Western Australia
dieseltojo

Re: Googs Track and CSR Part One

Post by dieseltojo » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:09 am

We all go in heavy
That is a 110 ltr fridge.

No roads, we made these tracks, test all tyres.
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:10 am

How did you all go for fuel? One photo (great photos by the way) warns of no fuel for 1900km. I don't see any real evidence of extra fuel on board, but I presume most vehicles had long range tanks fitted. Yes, an occasional jerry can, but that's only an extra 20 litres. I have 2 long range tanks fitted to my Nissan, totalling 220 litres, but would not consider such an expedition without at least another 100 litres plus in jerry cans on top of that. Did you organise a fuel dump somewhere along that route?

Geoffsa

Post by Geoffsa » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:08 pm

dieseltojo wrote:Hi Geoffsa,
Maintenance didn't come into it as around 15000 to 17000 klm on one trip is not a maintenance issue.

I am thinking you may never had this incredible experience, but it happens if the terrain is tough enough.
But, of all the things that went wrong if tyres are the problem it is a small matter in the scheme of things.
The maintenance I referred to was mainly tyre pressures, and yes I have driven these tracks in some very difficult conditions without those high amounts of tyre problems on Coopers. Sidewall damage can happen to the strongest of tyres, unfortunately.

Most of our driving is remote, only doing some caravanning in our spare time, lol.

Anyway keep enjoying yourself, and I'm sure you will eventually find a strong enough tyre.
regards,
Geoff.

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:17 am

[quote="Bundyrumandcoke"]How did you all go for fuel? One photo (great photos by the way) warns of no fuel for 1900km. I don't see any real evidence of extra fuel on board, but I presume most vehicles had long range tanks fitted. Yes, an occasional jerry can, but that's only an extra 20 litres. I have 2 long range tanks fitted to my Nissan, totalling 220 litres, but would not consider such an expedition without at least another 100 litres plus in jerry cans on top of that. Did you organise a fuel dump somewhere along that route?[/quote

Hi Bundyrumandcoke

You have choices in fuel supply but some are not what I liked.

I installed a "Long ranger tank" by ARB and had an over all capacity of 270 ltrs which is enough to get to well 33, an Aboriginal station with a store and fuel available.
some carried Jerry cans.

Some arrange for a "fuel drop " at well 23 which can be done by phone and that well reached by truck. They drop a 44 of either petrol or diesel and you do what you want with it, share etc. Prepaid of course. I had read of theft though and so didn't want to take the risk.
I don't know if theft is true but with the sniffing of today, its hard to say. Back then it would just have been the travellers pilfering I would have thought.

I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:34 am

Geoffsa wrote: The maintenance I referred to was mainly tyre pressures, and yes I have driven these tracks in some very difficult conditions without those high amounts of tyre problems on Coopers. Sidewall damage can happen to the strongest of tyres, unfortunately.

Most of our driving is remote, only doing some caravanning in our spare time, lol.

Anyway keep enjoying yourself, and I'm sure you will eventually find a strong enough tyre.
regards,
Geoff.
That's cool,
I thought that my original statement of having kept to the same pressures as the group would have covered that. I wrote,
"Most punctures were side wall damaged, and we all had the same pressures in the same terrain."

I really can't add to that statement, and thought you either did not read it or didn't believe me.
The other thing is maybe I am blind and don't pick my route correctly.... :)
Anyway my eyesight improved after changing to the Pro comps.
I must say that I have never been brand proud and if I get a bad run with something,I clear the deck and go elsewhere.
My choice of 4x4 have been Landy, Pajero, Nissan, and Toyota, until I found one I couldn't break.
but I did do a far bit of four wheel driving. :)
1929 Pop Top

Jeffie

Post by Jeffie » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:59 am

Re theft of fuel at Well 23.
We did the CSR in 2010 and on arrival at Well 23 found that our drum was about 60 litres short.
Assuming that the drum was full to begin with ,then some lowlife pintched 60 litres of our diesel.
Luckily we were in a Tag-A Long so we were able to share with others until we got to Kunawaritji where the operator/owner replenished our supply. He also said that it is not unusual for fuel to go missing at Well 23 and especially from Tag-A Longs as they know you are with others so wont get stranded.
We were told that Kunawaritji was now a reliable source of fuel for the CSR.
Would not rely on that though unless I rang them first just to be sure.
We were in a group of 7 trucks of various makes using various brands of tyres and not one flat tyre in the entire group - whatever that means.

Jeff.
Jeff & Heather
Isuzu MU-X LST
Coronet Grand Prince.

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:30 am

Yes, its always worthwhile checking ahead for remote fuel supplies. Our trip last year across the Simpson Desert, and had us fuel our Jerry cans, (we had 4 plus our 220 litres in tanks) at Coober Pedy, top up at Oodnadatta, with plans for a final top up at Mt Dare. Trouble was, Mt Dare was out of diesel, apart from their own supplies for their own use, and we had not checked beforehand. The fuel truck had not been able to get in due to wet roads, and Dave, the owner, was organising an emergency fuel run for his own supplies. Luckily, we had heaps of fuel, but if we were running short, we could have been in trouble.

loub

Post by loub » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:25 pm

DT I have seen people with the same issues with coppers and they won't cover them with there bull dust warranty. Love your photos, We had a play round in that area in the early eights, in my id page their is a photo of a sign pointing to well 33 and not far from where I believe you are talking about fuel supplies.Their was no fuel about when we where their .We had arranged a fuel dump with the owner of carnage station and he meet us on the gunbarel hyw with a load of 44s :razz: Peter
BT50 2013 Auto 3.2 Diesel
21 Golf Linwood

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:35 pm

Yep fuel can be a problem.
Even arriving after lunch at well 33 meant the store was closed until Monday, if you didn't make it on time.
It might mean an unscheduled camp spot and the associated worry of theft of goods while you sleep.

We knew of the time restrictions and timed our arrival with camping well out of town for a short run into the store.
There was a hundred acres burned of prime grass and we thought it was a bush fire gone through.
Nope just some brothers burned the joint to chase some roos out for a shot. The fact they also rear cattle wasn't a problem it seems. Burning your own fodder stock seems normal.
You have to be wary of where you camp.

Well done Loube
That would have been interesting,
We had a friend put a couple of boat fuel tanks on a petrol Prado on the roof rack. The idea is to just pump a bit and it will self flow to there- fuel the main tank. It worked slowly but the fuel expanded after a top up, released pressure and was pouring down the side of the truck through the material of the travel bag.
That idea went west pretty smartly.
Jerry cans seemed OK where ever they were put. The sand dune sort out all the clever ideas.... :)
1929 Pop Top

loub

Post by loub » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:59 pm

You are dead right their DT about the dunes ,my biggest problem was with the u bute after market spare battery and holder. Split the internal gaurds in the engine bay and spilt acid every where, Told me it was the best gear you can get. Had to pull it all out .All ways do it myself now.Peter :oops:
BT50 2013 Auto 3.2 Diesel
21 Golf Linwood

Return to “Touring WA”