View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Extract from Sunday Paper in W. Aust 

Post Re: Extract from Sunday Paper in W. Aust
WA unfriendly? Someone is going to all the wrong places and spruking it as typical of the whole state. Of course the mining areas are under pressure for accommodation. It is happening in other parts of Australia too. Expensive? Have you any idea how hard it is to get staff to work on anything less than they can get in the mining industry - or get staff at all? Rents have already been quoted. Costs in these areas are high.

When you come further south, go out into the wheatbelt where the rural towns have suffered from years in a troubled farming economy, never more so than now. People are welcoming and many towns have low cost caravan parks, dump points and water points - all so visitors can come and stay a while, or pass through and say hello.

Come and enjoy this huge and diverse state through the spectacular Kimberley, the remote inland deserts, some of the best granite outcrops in the country out in the wheatbelt and goldfields, to the rugged south coast.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:49 pm
Profile WWW

MH,

There is a bit to see without doubt, depends on ones taste as to whether it is appealing or not.
I know what appeals to me is not every ones cup of tea.
I do not tend to sell a particular attraction to anybody as they may have very different tastes to me, every chance actually.
Most people will sort it out for themselves, part of the joys of wandering around this country is sussing out the good and the not so good. Better than being given a bum steer based on the likes and dislikes of someone else.
I have to admit I have enjoyed myself immensely in the least promoted and most unlikely places. It's the people you meet that makes it enjoyable, the place is only somewhere to park.

Back in my box.

SD

South East Coast Westoz

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:09 pm

That's for sure SD. I think all travel is enjoyable - the people we meet really make it come to life.

Shaggy Dog wrote:
It's the people you meet that makes it enjoyable

Happy New Year to you and NSB

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:04 am
Profile WWW

All most make you NOT want to " go west young man".

May be the industry in the west is in need of a shake up. But I guess that the mining mighty $$$$ is to much to resist.

I believe that mining towns in Queensland are also demanding high fees for accommodation.

Spare a thought for the locals who have been renting for years in these town when their rental lease comes up for renewal.

Make you want to throw the swag on the back, like back in the 1920-30's.
jay&Dee

Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:24 am

Motherhen wrote:
WA unfriendly? Someone is going to all the wrong places and spruking it as typical of the whole state. Of course the mining areas are under pressure for accommodation. It is happening in other parts of Australia too. Expensive? Have you any idea how hard it is to get staff to work on anything less than they can get in the mining industry - or get staff at all? Rents have already been quoted. Costs in these areas are high.

When you come further south, go out into the wheatbelt where the rural towns have suffered from years in a troubled farming economy, never more so than now. People are welcoming and many towns have low cost caravan parks, dump points and water points - all so visitors can come and stay a while, or pass through and say hello.

Come and enjoy this huge and diverse state through the spectacular Kimberley, the remote inland deserts, some of the best granite outcrops in the country out in the wheatbelt and goldfields, to the rugged south coast.

I'm far from convinced MH....Yeah, sure, the mining situation covers the mining associated places but there are plenty of other examples of "lets see if we can make a fortune from all the tourists flocking to see our wonderful State) . As mentioned before, Denham is one, Coral Bay another, Exmouth, Nanutarra, Broome etc.etc.etc. And, wait, there's more :rolleyes:
Yes, WA is our favourite destination but , as I've heard many times..even on this Forum...Bring plenty of money.!

Jock :neutral:

Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:57 am

I do hope that training staff and managers of caravan parks does not stop at the council run facilities. The privately owned parks have their personal money involved, while the council parks have the rate payers money involved. And when it comes to inviting people to stay and at what cost, the privately owned parks have to make ends meet and make a profit for their future. The councils can raise rates and still make a profit even though an allocation for the council parks may have budgets. I also get that this country, no matter where you live, is vast and has days inbetween destinations for travelling, and all of us have to accept this no matter where we travel from the home base. I find all you Eastern Seaboarders, have no idea that small towns do have things to offer tourists, and whether far or near, we still have to pay. How much you are prepared to pay, depends on your personal budget. If you want to see unusual far away places you are prepared to pay for the costs. If you are not, I suggest staying home and stop whining. I know I am looking forward to being that grey nomad in the very near future.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:48 am

Faye,

Yeah there are many things and places I cannot afford, I stick with what suits my pocket and have very few disappointments as a result.

I like interesting people and from my experience I find most of these off the tourist track, as a result many of the issues raised in this thread affect me little.

Little country towns are our forte, thrive on them we do.

It's all good, do whatever rocks ones boat and be happy with it.

Take it easy.

SD

South East Coast Westoz

Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:22 pm

Faye wrote:
I do hope that training staff and managers of caravan parks does not stop at the council run facilities. The privately owned parks have their personal money involved, while the council parks have the rate payers money involved. And when it comes to inviting people to stay and at what cost, the privately owned parks have to make ends meet and make a profit for their future. The councils can raise rates and still make a profit even though an allocation for the council parks may have budgets. I also get that this country, no matter where you live, is vast and has days inbetween destinations for travelling, and all of us have to accept this no matter where we travel from the home base. I find all you Eastern Seaboarders, have no idea that small towns do have things to offer tourists, and whether far or near, we still have to pay. How much you are prepared to pay, depends on your personal budget. If you want to see unusual far away places you are prepared to pay for the costs. If you are not, I suggest staying home and stop whining. I know I am looking forward to being that grey nomad in the very near future.

Hi Faye

It appears quite obvious that you have been peaved off by some Eastern stater at some point in time. don't let personal differences cloud your judgement of all grey nomads, RVers and eastern staters for as you stated, you look forward to being a grey nomad yourself.

HOWEVER, what people have stated previously and based on my travels in WA and in speaking with people from Wait Awhile, they too have the same opinion as us and you Easterners.

I checked the Rates and Charges for Council, Water and Sewerage and Electricity for WA compared to the eastern states. Guess what, they are practically the same. So what others are saying including WA peopleis, why do the caravan parks in WA charge 2-3 times that of eastern states? And that includes SA and NT. They are all east of WA as far as they are concerned.

The miners in all states don't give a dam about prices because they are subsidised for their living in the area and that includes mining areas in Eastern States. (They are mostly fly-in/fly-out probably from EASTERN STATES or god forbil SA). These areas base their charges on making the most from the mines. You don't blame them but it makes it very costly for retired RVers to utilise the sevices in a mining town hence FREE CAMPING comes into play.

All of the states in Australia have something different, unique and beautiful to offer the RVer. :)

There should be a uniform approach to many institutions in ALL states ie; motoring, government and CP's.

I for one will tour WA because I believe that it is beautiful and has a lot to offer the RVer, however having been there before I now know a lot of the free spots! :D

Hope you get to enjoy your touring around ALL of this great country of ours.

2007 Pajero DID

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:04 pm

We're locals and we know we're being ripped off in many places. We just can't afford to go to Exmouth, Coral Bay, Broome etc any more. We occasionally travel through Hedland and Karratha (via the inland route), never stay there- no places, no pets. We travel the inland routes and thoroughly enjoy it. However, that doesn't help many interstaters who want to see the big attractions associated with those high profile tourist destinations.
Maybe we could have a seniors tourist pass so us grey nomads could keep coming back. Otherwise, it's once seen, never to return.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:55 pm

Yes Jock - the dreaded "Coastal Strip".

Money? We have to live here on those prices - and the mining money makes it all the harder for the rest of us. For example try and get budget accommodation in Perth for medical appointment - it is impossible. I am pleased to hear you appreciate what WA has as a destination - there is a lot of it out there.

jock wrote:
Motherhen wrote:

I'm far from convinced MH....Yeah, sure, the mining situation covers the mining associated places but there are plenty of other examples of "lets see if we can make a fortune from all the tourists flocking to see our wonderful State) . As mentioned before, Denham is one, Coral Bay another, Exmouth, Nanutarra, Broome etc.etc.etc. And, wait, there's more :rolleyes:
Yes, WA is our favourite destination but , as I've heard many times..even on this Forum...Bring plenty of money.!

Jock :neutral:

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:56 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next