View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Another Tassie C.Park Whinger 

Post Re: Another Tassie C.Park Whinger
Seriously people, you are jumping at shadows and spinning off from a 4 year old newspaper clipping :shock:
How about relying on some facts from contemporary posts or threads. ;-)
The park at New Norfolk is one of my favourite and run by some excellent managers – here’s a link to their website.
http://newnorfolkcaravanpark.com/rates

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:17 pm

I think they had to do something or the health dept would have got onto them if it was in some of the mainland states.
So, have other CPs also updated since we were there in 2003 and 2009.
You being a local I hope you can reassure us as to the current quality for those contemplating doing the trip.
glanyard

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:47 pm

The following may well have changed also and it has been mentioned before but I cannot find it when I do a search so some may be interested.

It’s been a couple of years since we were in Tasi and when we went back to a camp we had used before under the Batman Bridge crossing the Tamar we found the following sign.
Attachment:
DSCF5090.JPG

I was told by the Owner of Old Mac’s Farm Launceston that it was closed because the caravan park owner at George Town forced the issue.
Old Mac’s farm supports free camping as he is a caravanner himself so his farm camp sites are $10/night with nothing included except a beautiful setting and five minutes from town.

Note the very large area near the bridge is empty and there is a much larger area to the right but not visible in this picture.
Attachment:
tamar.JPG

JR
:razz:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:56 pm

Tasmanian caravan park are known for not being the latest and greatest in pretty bathrooms, but for the few we stayed at (very few with all the other lovely community and free camp locations) might not have been fancy, but they were clean and the showers hot. That suits us fine.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:36 pm
Profile WWW

glanyard wrote:
You being a local I hope you can reassure us as to the current quality for those contemplating doing the trip.
glanyard

…and why would I, I’m not the industry watchdog (no pun intended) but correcting an apparent perception of a visit from 12 years ago against one park.
Whilst I may be a local, that doesn’t stand for the entire state. Tasmania, despite the apparent size disparity of mapped Northern states contains many caravan parks, some good, some bad.
I use but a few parks in this state and prefer to free camp as I can. I’m also self contained and those that I have used I have found more than adequate in terms amenity, convenience and cleanliness – Longford, Dover, New Norfolk and Huonville to name a few.
Like other states there are some caravan parks that should be jewels but alas are just being used as cash cows.

Now…back on topic. The economic regulator in this state has forced councils into not competing with local businesses with respect to services they provide. That is why many councils now have dedicated ‘freedom camping’ areas set aside for nominated fees. I believe the area you have identified JR is a case in example.
Some councils (Latrobe) have embraced this and improved their dedicated area by providing water and a dump point + upgraded toilet facilities.
Unfortunately there continues to be many a caravan park whinger whinging about free camping without the apparent realization that this state would not have the capacity to accommodate all travellers in this ate if they were forced into caravan parks.
cheers
Jdog

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:29 am

Our eleven weeks in Tassie last year was a mix of Caravan Park and free/low cost camping. A good example would be a nine night stay in Triabunna on the east coast. We camped on private land owned by the local takeaway cafe family right in the middle of town.
The length of stay was the result of Easter long weekend and school holidays. There was two of us travelling together and another van and fifth wheeler plus other local campers coming and going. None of us would have fitted into the local Caravan Park. The $$$$ spent by all of us over that period would have been substantial, and if it wasn’t for the space made available we would have been forced to move on. This was a win win situation.
I must say that at no time during our trip did we have any problems camping nor did we have any poor experiences with any of the Caravan Parks we stayed at.
If you are thinking of going to Tassie don’t hesitate, do it, it’s great. We were made to feel welcome everywhere!

2010 Concept Ascot S9. [Modifications by Lavenders B & B and Caravan Service Center]

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:39 am

Jdog,
OK.

Tony48,
Yes, when we get a chance we will make a third visit.
glanyard

Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:08 am

Jay&dee wrote:
Glanyard…. We would have to completely concur with you comments re the standard or should we say lack of standards at 60% plus of the C.Parks in Tasmania.
The best one we stayed at was I think Norfolk on the river some 20 klms or so from Hobart.
They certainly need to lift their game.
Jay&Dee

To clarify the above post of mine.

"[font=][font=]"They Certainly need to lift their game"" Here I was referring to the majority of C.Parks that we stayed at in Tassie. [/font][/font]

This comment was not meant for Norfolk C.Park.
Norfolk was by far the best C.Park that we stayed at in Tassie. Left almost all the others for dead.

Sorry for my bad post layout.
Jay&Dee

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:48 pm

For all the negatives that we have spoke about, I will be the first to admit that Tassi have that many more positives than are available on the mainland ( as per size of the area).
Why!!! yesterday, I visited the Spirit of Tasmania web site to check out the fare for a cabin o/night and our Cruiser and a 22ft Coromal. It came up $ 1788.00. (Now there is a famous Australia number and it was on Australia day I google it.)
we are seriously considering another trip to Tassie from late November to April.
Our health will be the only stumbling block as we see it.

Dog Jester, are you still living on Bass strait with that great view????

Jay&Dee

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:00 pm

The cost of that ship has got to be the biggest impediment to getting to this state for caravan and motor-homers. The government claims to be working towards reducing the fares though.
Still here J&D – still enjoying the view 8-)
regards
Jdog

Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next