View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Free camping 

Post Free camping
Can I be considered to be a real caravanner if I don’t do free camping and never go off the bitumen ? Talking to people when travelling I don’t think I measure up, I haven’t been bush bashing or through a desert or even gone through the centre!!! Perhaps I fall into the category of a Chardonnay sucker. I still like to be near the ocean, in a town, in a park tackling up my rods. Perhaps in the future I may even catch a fish, here’s hoping but I really love my caravanning life no matter what. Isn’t that what it’s all about!!!! :razz:

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:08 am

Post Re: Free camping
:razz: Hi Mally don’t get hung up on what others do,caravan journeys are all about what You want to do.There is plenty to see and do without going off the black stuff and the Australian coastline is pretty impressive and a long way to travel,good luck with the fishing.
Bill

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:20 am

Mally,
My view is that free camping is just part of the caravanning package.
Even along the coast line, should you wish to spend a night or two free – bush camping then that is what caravanning is all about.
However as many of us will confirm, there are many many wonderful sights and place to see in the bush camping category.
Jay&Dee

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:39 am

Mally wrote:
Can I be considered to be a real caravanner if I don’t do free camping and never go off the bitumen ?
Mally, you are definitely a wimp. No dirt roads…. indeed !! :shock:

Mind you, I was exactly the same for 9 years until I did the Birdsville track a few months ago. So from always avoiding the dirt at all costs it was about 800 kms of it, and a billion stones, plus rocks, corrugations and ground clearance concerns. As you know I posted about my stone protection system but otherwise it was the same old cart springs, no shockers van. That trip also led to our first free-camp in a great spot recommended by Jock. It was 40 kms from Lake Eyre :D

After that experience I don’t mind free-camping, but there must be a dunny nearby, preferably a flush type like at that place. As a father of 3 who never changed a nappy in 70 years I can’t cope well with smelly long-drop dunnies. So Mally I’m probably a much bigger caravanning wimp than you :oops:

I can do without mains power but the only issue with that free-camp night was the 4 degrees in the morning. I don’t have solar and my house battery is just a tug ex-cranker but it operates the HWS, lights and limited TV. With our 100 useable litres of water we could get 10 reasonable hot showers or 5 nights at a pinch without power and water. Mind you I could not go that long without TV and internet. Have I struck a chord? :rolleyes:

So Mally, if I ever expect to collect that 6 pack you promised I reckon I’ll have to stick to the black stuff to find you – unless of course you man-up and become say…. Crocodile Malleee ;-)

Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:28 pm

When we travelled around Australia in 2004, I had trouble getting my wife to agree to freedom camping – only managed a few times. Gradually this has changed. Now it would be desperate days to get her into a caravan park!! Last year we were away for 3 months, 2 months in Tassie and the remainder getting there and back – not a single night in a CP! That would represent a saving of at least $3000 – that is a lot of diesel for more travelling.

Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:45 am

We used to just go camping. Then we got a caravan so we can enjoy the ease of not having to set up canvas and blow up air bed, and so we had room to pack for longer trips. We still go camping as we do not want to stay in towns, but sometimes we need to use a caravan park in a town to sightsee there, or to do the washing and wash my hair etc in a caravan park.

Australians have been camping for decades. Caravan parks in every town were not around back when it started. Our camping is more about desired location and it may come at a cost eg National Parks. I call it camping not free camping.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:04 am
Profile WWW

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18′ poptop
Mally, what a woos, no dirt roads, no free camping, I mean where’s your sense of adventure. :twisted:

Nahh really mate, it’s all about what you enjoy, I like free camping because of the freedom it allows us and maybe one day, like catching that elusive fish (we all know what that’s about) you may try it and will fall in love with it, for now, enjoy being out there and love what you do, if anyone judges you, it’s their problem, camping, caravaning, motorhoming, it means different things to different people, this world would be a sad place if we were all the same.

and the freecamps would be crowded if we all did it :lol:

enjoy mate, life’s too short

BLOGS
http://www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com
http://www.tassietour.blogspot.com
http://thewesternadventure.blogspot.com/

Also member of Travellers chat

Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:48 pm

Frank didn’t see you on the side of Aldinga road yesterday, looked for you with your hat!!!!! Or were you on a bike?

Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:09 am

Mally wrote:
Frank didn’t see you on the side of Aldinga road yesterday, looked for you with your hat!!!!! Or were you on a bike?

What were you doing over there snooping on Frank :?: :?: :roll: :roll:
Regards Neville……

Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:17 am

You interstate residents may not be aware we have a round of the world cycling championships. We are world leaders in promoting international events. ie F1, which Victoria stole (thank goodness ) V8 supercars street race, world horse events and the list goes on. We are trying to get the world championship soon for pocket billiards. The cycle race went through Franks backyard.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next