Free camping guide

vwillis

Re: Free camping guide

Post by vwillis » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:05 pm

camperfam wrote:Now a question is it feasible to be able to camp in a tent the one we have is a 4 room tent or would we be better off going caravan route after a few weeks what are your thoughts?

Most people touring around Australia prefer a caravan, due to the ease of setting up for a one night stay, which there can be a lot of. There are long distances between some points of interest. I am speaking as a Grey Nomad!

It can be done in a tent, I have seen several people doing just that! You would have to be very patient and travel during the correct seasons. Eg: you would not go up north in our summer. That is the wet season and you would be flodded out.

There is a lot of info on this matter online.
Happy and safe travelling
Vince and Doreen
2013 Jayco StarCraft Outback 19’11”
2007 Pajero DID

Boroma577

Post by Boroma577 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:35 pm

I agree with the others…..most long term travelers opt for a caravan and for a variety of reasons. Comfort, ease of set up, security etc.

I have seen many doing it in a camper trailer though, that is a tent on a trailer. They offer a bit more comfort and usually have a tailgate kitchen (soft floor) or a pull out drawer style kitchen (hard floor). They also offer a good bit of on board storage.

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:20 pm

These people have 5 kids, guys! Forget the tent, camping trailer or even large caravan.
They need an interstate bus converted into a large motorhome.
glanyard

camperfam

Post by camperfam » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:34 pm

Ah yea my husband keeps saying bus I thought we could get away with a caravan maybe we do need to go for bus :lol:

oldboar

Post by oldboar » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:55 am

One thing for sure. Travelling in a tent full time with five kids will very rapidly sort out how good your marriage is. Patience will not only be a virtue, but a necessity.

Darrell & Sandra
Busy doin’ nothin’
Mazda BT-50 ute / Coromal 667XC van

JayDee

Post by JayDee » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:32 am

There are many many different ways and styles of camping. No doubt the dollar has a big bearing on the final decision. But for us, the comfort of travel is a must, plus lewt not forget, that when one pull up for the night and it is teaming rain…. now this is where the problem (and let’s not for the fight) begins.
I would imagine that with five great kids even living in a van would feel like living in a match box at times.!!!

Anyway, which ever way one shoud decide, we hope you enjoy experiencing the experience.
Jay&Dee

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:41 am

The age of the children will make a big difference to your needs. With toddlers, i think tenting could be difficult. Older children – say five to fourteen – may make wonderful campers. So long as each has their job, each responsible for a vital part of setting up of the camp, they are including in the route planning, and you are relaxed by nature, it could work. If you will get uptight about having wet bedding and your tents blown down overnight in the wind, get something solid.

Having said that, we had four children, and just a shopping trip was bad enough. Going long term touring would have been hell. For some families it is a breeze.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Boroma577

Post by Boroma577 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:25 am

Motherhen wrote: Older children – say five to fourteen – may make wonderful campers. So long as each has their job, each responsible for a vital part of setting up of the camp, they are including in the route planning

I agree with MH…with any children I believe this is a necessary part of any successful camping trip, be it for a weekend or longer term.

It gives them a sense of commitment and their contribution should not be overlooked.

Chonga

Post by Chonga » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:44 am

G’day All,’ (This is an extract from another thread.)

My Owner/Trainer was told of a Free & Low Cost Camping Website.

http://www.caravancaravan.com.au/

I had a look and soon discovered that it is a very valuable reference tool.
This may have been discussed before but it allows you to add a site, comment on the site, add photos and give location. It needs as many people to join this no-cost site as possible. The more people participate the greater the information supply will be and this will benefit us all.
Have a look at the site and judge for yourself.

Cheers CHONGA

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:50 pm

Be aware when reading a publication on line or as a purchased book that many are not up to date or they may include campsites that are not approved, or are unsuitable for heavy pressure of numbers.

While i fight to see we have freedom of choice in camping, there is a lot of damage done by over use and sometimes inconsiderate use of places published, where the use previously was very low key and local authorities could allow it under a ‘turn a blind eye’ principal. What i am referring to is places it was always OK for a few clean campers to use – as neither an authorised or unauthorised place, or a good day area where just few considerate caravanners stopped overnight. I ask first before i publish on my website and sometimes am requested not to publicise otherwise over use or caravan park complaints will result in day area only being enforced. Use sites such as the above mentioned with this caution in mind.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Return to “Free-Camping – Freedom of Choice”