View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  13, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Free-Camping Our Right to Choose 

Post Re: Free-Camping Our Right to Choose
jock wrote:
JayDee wrote:
Caravan park owners certainly relish and welcome the family holiday makers. Our son has 4 kids and when you consider that the parks charge $10 extra per child on top of say the $30 or $40 night rate for 2 it does become a rather expensive exercise. His cost for the night is around $70 to $80 x 7 nights equates to approx $500 ???? a week give or take. This is at off peak rates. Now throw in the peak rate and it is getting around the $100 a night. = $700 a week so to speak. Any wonder that the C.Parks want the family clientle.
So they also free camp when and where ever they can. As does his Mum & Dad. We are all for the right to "Free Camping"
I have posted may comments on this, my favourite subject on this forum.
Keep the thread going guys.
Jay&Dee

Hmmm. JayDee…Appreciate that you want to make a point BUT I reckon your figures are a little exagerated so just to keep the thread going lets have the discussion on a level playing field—-e.g. Using the case in point .. the off Peak tarriff was $25.00 pn. as is the case of most 3 to 4 star C.P’s ( some even less)…Even if you add $10.00 extra per child…this comes to $315. per week. Now most of these Parks have a "stay 6 nights, get the 7th free" policy so that comes to $270. per week…I can stretch it further and say if the patron is a member of the chain, a further 10% could also be deducted.
What happens at peak times is anybody’s guess…probably depends on the location a fair bit.
I guess we perceive that we are being ripped off at peak times but, as Motherhen has alluded, many of these businesses need to take the opportunity to cash in while they can…just to even the income up for those lean times.
I have mentioned, in another thread, that we have just got back from a 2 weeks stay at the magnificent Coconut resort/CP in Cairns…They have over 100 powered sites, and about 100 cabins…during our stay, there was never more than 4 caravans and a couple of camps and motorhomes and about 10 of the cabins occupied. All the Pools, Splash Park and other great amenities were in full operation. They had several Gardeners employed full time plus 1/2 a dozen reception staff and 2 or 3 maintenance personell carrying out repairs to some of the cabins and facilities. The free aqua aerobics were conducted 3 times per week with only 2 or 3 patrons and the free pancake breakfasts were still offered, run by about 4 staff and with only about 20 patrons participating. In short, they would be running at a severe loss during off-peak times.
I guess it comes down to what suits the individual. And, again, it’s our choice…we try not ever to go caravanning or camping during school hols. (unavoidable sometimes if we are on extended travel).
I have more of a gripe about blatant rip-off C.Ps like in Nth. W.A. and Broken Hill and Cobar.

Jock :neutral:

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:06 am

G’day All,

When the Caravan Park’s accountant does the books for the park he probably says "You have to increase your charges to maintain proper return on your investment". He probably as an example theoretically raises the prices and calculates the projected income (graphs and all to point out his knowledge of numbers) – problem solved in his mind. Theoretically it works but in practice consumer backlash from said price rises is something that an accountant is unable to take into account.
With some parks maybe the accountant should ask for the other set of books so that he has a true reflection of the park’s income.

Cheers CHONGA

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:59 am

Chonga wrote:
maybe the accountant should ask for the other set of books so that he has a true reflection of the park’s

Surely you’re not suggesting they they are trying to cheat the system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Honst and up right businesses

Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:52 am

Not being too picky, Jock, but we stayed at the Cobar park a few weeks ago and the price was, from memory $28, I then received a $2 discount because we had stayed at the park in the last 12 months and then got a discount voucher of $1 each for a meal at the local club and also a free drink, in our case two middies of beer, so that made the total of $24 plus 2 middies of beer.
As that is the only park, they could charge more because they have a captive audience, but I was quite pleased.
The park is also clean and tidy and the sites are huge with a slab for the van as well as the awning area and gravel for the car.

Hank

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:28 pm

Hank you did OK at Cobar. We paid $29 in March and received no other benefit or concession.

Refer this post… viewtopic.php?p=134403#p134403

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:41 pm

Yes, I think there is new management at the park. The lady at the desk was very friendly and helpful.

Hank

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:30 pm

Hank! We have used that Park twice a year for the last 5 years. The Tarriff, earlier this year was $24.00 pn. The New owners took over and immediately raised the price to $32.00 per night which is what we paid in July. Yes it is a big, well established park with large sites, some shade and reasonable amenities and that’s about it…$32.00 pn is way too dear for what you get but, as it’s the only CP in the vicinity and it’s an obvious stopover for East/West travellers they can get away with it…Still a rip-off in my book.
Sounds like you got a good deal..maybe they’ve had a backlash or a drop in clientelle due to the high price..and dropped their price.
Jock :neutral:

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:13 pm

Quote:
All the Pools, Splash Park and other great amenities were in full operation. They had several Gardeners employed full time plus 1/2 a dozen reception staff and 2 or 3 maintenance personell carrying out repairs to some of the cabins and facilities. The free aqua aerobics were conducted 3 times per week with only 2 or 3 patrons and the free pancake breakfasts were still offered, run by about 4 staff and with only about 20 patrons participating. In short, they would be running at a severe loss during off-peak times.

This, I feel, is one of the main reasons we pay so much at some Parks. Speaking with caravanners since retiring last August and getting back into travelling.. the majority mention they just want somewhere to park and use as a base to get out and explore that area for the time they are at that location. They dont require aerobics, jumping castles, camp kitchens, gamesrooms etc. We pay for all those "extras" in the tarriff regardless. Parks are now targetting "family holidays" but by charging per person (or child) again makes a week in the school holidays out of the average family’s ( those with mortgages etc) pocket. It amazes me that you can go on a 10 day cruise with all meals and entertainement for less than $1000 but costs far more to go to an island 5 miles off the coast :)

Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:29 pm

We recently stayed at Big4 parks in Mildura and Swan Hill. About $35 per night. Clean but aging ammenities block, AND lovely bright clean swiming pools. With several days in the high 30’s up to 44.7 degrees we just loved the swiming pools. I thought the costs not too bad, but thn am fairly new to this travelling life. Yet to free camp although I read some others exploits with interest.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  13, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next