"SELF CONTAINED VEHICLE "

VHW

Re: "SELF CONTAINED VEHICLE "

Post by VHW » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback too DT and Graeme. I originally applied for the LNT accreditation to them but through the ATCM&CC who onforward it to CMCA.

I paid $5 with the application and CMCA sent me an approval letter plus the LNT Code and a LNT sticker for the caravan. The $5 is a one off fee and didn't need to be renewed annually, only need to comply with LNT and to remove LNT sticker if you sell the van. Like you said DT, it is not a right but a privilege and if a Ranger or whatever doesn't accept you as a compliant vehicle in an overnight you do not have the right to stay.

Interestingly, a Leave No Trace scheme was first used by hikers and still is who have their own code that is similar but designed for their pastime. They recommend using a "Poo Tube" for hiking. See this funny little instruction on how to use, I apologise for being a bit OT with the article. I anyone wants to see a poo tube just type that into google, they are a bit like a bit of plastic water pipe with screw ends on it;

Your handy guide to using a Poo tube…

Ingredients for a poo burrito…

1 x University of Ballarat poo tube with your name on it, hygienically disinfected and cleaned by the last person who used it in the snow
1 x roll of non-bleached, recycled (probably scratchy) toilet paper
1 x University of Ballarat biodegradable plastic bag
1 x sheet of newspaper (The Herald-Sun works well for this purpose, most of what’s written in there should be down the toilet anyway)
1 x large garbage bag
Sprinkle of Ajax to garnish

Method

1. Need to have a poo… if you’re having trouble with this you probably need some fibre in your diet. Eat less cheese and salami, try some bran or fruit, hot drinks also tend to do the trick.
2. Find a nice comfy spot away from the crowds, hopefully with a nice view.
3. Line your poo tube with the large garbage bag, all deposits will go inside the garbage bag, inside the poo tube. This could be done earlier to save time if you like.
4. Place your bio plastic bag on the ground.
5. Place half a sheet of newspaper on your bio plastic bag
(A word of warning here, it’s probably best to go and have a wee before proceeding to the next step, it can be tricky to co-ordinate everything at once if you are not an experienced poo tube user).
6. Poo onto the newspaper.
7. Wipe your bum and put the toilet paper on the newspaper as well.
8. Sprinkle with some Ajax to help everything break down quickly
9. “Wrap” you poo burrito in the newspaper, you can use any method you choose as long as it doesn’t leak.
n.b. If you have an accident (it happens to the best of us, don’t stress) you may need to get some extra newspaper or another bio bag to clean it all up. At the end of the day, the inside of the poo tube and the garbage bags are meant to stay CLEAN of any poo… remember YOU have to wash up after all this cooking!)
10. Place your poo burrito inside the bio bag and tie a knot in the top. You will need to get as much air out as possible
11. Then put the bio bag inside the garbage bag, inside your poo tube. Put the lid back on
11. Don’t forget to wash you hands.

Washing up
All poo tubes will be emptied either straight into a septic tank or put down a long drop toilet (hence no plastic), the large garbage liner bags will go into a normal bin.
Back at uni, there will be tubs of hot, soapy, disinfectant and water, some toilet brushes and some rubber gloves. It is YOUR responsibility to clean your own poo tube to a sparkling, hygienic shine for the next budding chef!

Only items that can compost cango inside the poo tube, no plastic, pads or tampons!

dieseltojo

Re: "SELF CONTAINED VEHICLE "

Post by dieseltojo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:56 pm

Vic , that is fantastic, That is a ripper ,no doubt. A bit disappointing that they didn't reuse the plastic bag. :lol: :lol:

Thank god for higher education.
I enjoy your posts and I find this thread interesting, as some times we are all tugging at the same rope but just from a different angle. I am not certified with any organisation but appreciate what the other clubs are aiming at.
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Return to “Free-Camping Equipment”