View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Finding water when free camping 

You do exactly as we did and what I was trying to say in my previous post. Yes, it doesn't kill the back.

Errol

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:42 pm

Post Vandal handles
Please be careful where you use the vandal handles as most of these places are not all council owned and the church, school or sporting ground needs to pay for the water.
For example in SA the schools actually miss out on government money if they can't get there water consumption down to a particular level. At our school they spend considerable money checking for leaks in all there pipes and laying new pipes where they needed to. The government money was a big incentive.

Please be careful where you take water.

Sue

Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:41 am

I'm actually surprised by the number of places you can still find that allow filling of tanks for free.

Eventually like anything, I can see a cost creeping in as more and more vans/motorhomes seek to fill their water tanks away from caravan parks or other gazetted accommodation.

With more and more people joining the fold every year, it will eventually become a cost that can't be overlooked.

Mind you, if a church/school/petrol station asked me for a gold coin donation for allowing me to fill my water tanks, I wouldn't have any hesitation.

I guess we don't get water for free at home (unless on tanks) so a nominal cost shouldn't upset anyone.

Cheers.

Mike

Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:55 am

Post Water in Windorah
there is a water tap and hose next to the general store in town that looks like its in a private home but is in fact there for you to fill up your water tanks. I think it is part of the store. Its opposite the pub which has intenet and good food.
The water by the way was good. So was the camping at Coopers creek, we stayed 3 days there last year.Our signiture photo is us in that spot
Have Fun

Roadstar Trackvan

Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:16 am

Many of the roadhouses we filled up in WA charged us about 10 cents a litre but when we came to pay, they asked us to put the money into the donation box for the RFDS. Naturally we made a more substantial donation!!! As I said - ask first before helping yourself. If there is a charge, don't complain. You do not know the local conditions. Be thankful that you can get fresh water.

Errol

Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:55 pm

Post Water Bowser
I love the system at Coober Pedy, about 20 cents gets you about 30lit from a petrol bowser style pump in the main street.

I would love it if more places had that, save carrying 200liters from one place to the next, especially if you know you are not planning on free camping along route, only when you get near to the destination town/area.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:20 pm

Post Re: Finding water when free camping
yeah Ashford in northern NSW has a large tank outside the Council Works Depot and for 1 dollar you can fill up your tanks.
Cheers BillyO.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:56 pm

If i find i am setup for a week, i have a 55 litre Outback water tank in the Prado feeding a 12Litre/ minute pump which pumps it back out into the filler neck when i get back to the Van. Otherwise, when leaving campsite, find the first viable and available (legally) water supply and obtain at owner's permission and discretion. If i get the unfortunate "no sorry you can't fill up here" answer, i still have the 55 Litres in the Prado until the next available supply.
Definitely no problems paying for water on my trip, as it was said earlier, we pay at home so can't really complain if we get asked to pay whilst away.
Cheers

Frank

Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:06 pm

It's quid pro quo as far as I'm concerned. They are helping you out by letting you fill your tanks, I'll help them out by purchasing something from them/donating to them in return. I'm sure their profit margins more than cover the cost of water taken, but if it's in such short supply that they can't spare it...that's fine, it is after all their water.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3