View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Finding water when free camping 

So you do have a fill spout/tube/hole in a wall somewhere to pour water in. Sounds like everyone has, except me.

Yes, I have crawled all over the van and there is NO pour-in filler point. Are there any other Lotus owners who have a filler spout? Perhaps they forgot to instal one on ours.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:03 pm

Thanks everyone for the good advice, we're now well informed and looking forward to exploring the "wonders to be found" in Outback Qld, as independant campers.

"See you 'round my campfire"

Geoff & Bev

Patrol + Millard Horizon pop top

Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:20 pm

Hi. On the exterior walls there should be a filler point this is usually a hose connected to screw cap fitting located in a small locked door, if your van is a new one I suggest you contact the dealer you purchased it from if you still have problems. I am not familiar with the set up on a Lotus.
Good luck

Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:24 pm

Post Water filler.
Hi Freehill, you are not alone in only having a 'snap-on' hose fitting as your only fill point.
Jayco's have the dual fitting, but we have a Boroma, with only the snap-on.
There are two possibilities; a funnel attached to a piece of hose with a female snap-on and gravity feed the water in, or buy a 12volt submersible bilge pump and pressure the water in from a bucket.
Colin.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:35 pm

Firstly, let me apologize for hi-jacking coxy45's thread. I thought it would be a short diversion, but it got out of control.

Thanks Bluecruiser, I was beginning to think I was Robinson Crusoe. The funnel gravity feed process sounds prety slow, but the submersible pump sounds like just the ticket.:)

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:00 pm

Sorry I led you astray obviously did not concentrate enough on your posts & assumed you would have a dual filler on your van (one should never assume) it would appear Bluecruiser has the right idea. My apologies.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:09 pm

That connection setup sounds as though it's been modified in an earlier life.
That would be a real pain to fill, the way it's setup.
Wet and muddy.
Still like to see some pics if you can arrange it.

;)
The Signs & Decal Caravan
http://forum.candm.com.au/album.php?albumid=16

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:15 pm

What we did for our around Australia trip was to use the 12V shower pump from BCF. We would fill the 9 litre bucket from what ever supply was avilable, drop the pump into the bucket and pump it into the caravan tank. There was no need to connect clip on hoses to taps etc. We had one of those push on hoses that are used with a shower head to rinse the hair. Cost about $2 from a cheap store. When I can find or produce a photo, will post on this thread.

Cheers

Errol

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:25 pm

We carry several 20L buckets with good sealing lids - get the stacking kind as their footprint is just a little higher that the one bucket. Store them in the en-suite when travelling. These can be used to transport water in the vehicle if you don't want to move your van. A 12v bilge pump makes transferring the water easy. We also use ours to fill up from bore tanks and other water sources out in the bush. I ahve set mine up with snap-on fitting to fit our standard hoses. Most stations have bore water and will be happy to give you a fill up if you ask.... and you sometime get a cup of tea as well! LOL

John

Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:06 pm

We use a 12v shower pump you can buy from camping stores or K Mart etc - just plug it into your battery ( or use a battery pack) remove the rose, drop the pump into a bucket, and the hose into the filler and away you go - no lifting or holding buckets or other containers whilst trying to pour water in through those little fillers(kills your back and you spill half of it as well).
You will also find that the pump will fit into one of those 20litre containers.
We have found this the best way for us and you dont have to get close to the water source.
We also have one of those shower hose thingos you can buy from Bunnings that has a suction cup on one end so you can get water from a hand basin when there is no outside tap. Plus we have the 4 way tap handle thing as mentioned earlier.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Jeff.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next