View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 generator Silencing Boxes 
It had a good run awhile ago but it rained a lot so he had to stay in his kennel

Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:10 am

I am in the process of making a genny box now for our genny to go on the rear bumper of the van. So I have a big job ahead of me. as I needed to build a much stronger bumper to take the weight, I have made it out of square tube galvanised and galvo sheeting, and used expand a foam to insulate between the sheets, on the frame, a air intake will go on the bottom of the box and a air exhaust will go on the top. This will allow for air flow and help keep the genny cool. The exhaust has had a lawnmower silencer put on it, to reduce the exhaust noise, when it finished ill post some pics,

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:51 am

I built a 'soundproof' box out of commercial sound proofing material to house the genny and to also keep the rain off (that is the main time I need it!)

Didn't do a damn thing! Totally useless!

Quietest is to run the genny in rear of the tug, as I have mentioned before.

However, I have been informed, though never tested it, to run the exhaust into a bucket of water via a flexible exhaust pipe. Some 90% of the noise comes via the exhaust, so this does quieten it down significantly, I have been told.

However, it is dangerous in the fact that if the engine stops running with the exhaust pipe in the water, it can cool quickly and suck the water back into the engine!

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:00 pm

We have been told that the longer the cable the more voltage drop from the generator to the van, unless you run a much heavier cable.

A friend blew up their big generator by doing this, cable got really hot, generator unit got hot and burnt out.

Also, the risk of starting a bush fire obvioulsy increases!

Traveller Bellview & Diesal Prado

"Fleurieu Peninsula SA; Wine, Roses, Beaches & Tour Down Under"

Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:28 am

I have done the same and found running the generator in the box on the van we get noise transmitted thru the chassis,we only run it attached for short period(Microwave use etc) otherwise it gets quite annoying. We usually place it at the front of the tug for longer use depending on neighbours.
Regards
Ray

Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:35 am

Hi Al & Jo
I have done the same and found running the generator in the box on the van we get noise transmitted thru the chassis,we only run it attached for short period(Microwave use etc) otherwise it gets quite annoying. We usually place it at the front of the tug for longer use depending on neighbours.
Regards
Ray

hi ray

i have just finnish the silencer box for the rear of the van and i am in the process of fitting it to the rear bumber, as for the noise vibration through the van i had already thought of this and have used a rubber mount strip between the box and the bumber frame. to elimiante this, when we have it all fitted up and running i hope to be able to post a video of the event on here for all to see

Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:14 pm

I to would like to be able to reduce the noise of my genny.
Fitting in a box of any sort how would your warranty if under warranty
hold up for a claim ?

Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:59 pm

Thank you pelbo I now run my Genny on the floor between front seat and back seat.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:06 pm

Post Generator Silencing Boxes
Not long ago i had a problem with the neighbours behind us running there pool filters all night to save on power,so when i phoned the council to have them come out and do a DB check he told me that their is a product made as in wood etc that is exactly designed to retard noise that you build a box out of, i cant remember what it was but did say Pool Accesory Shops know all about it.Hope this is some help.Cheers Neil

Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:07 pm

Post Re: generator Silencing Boxes
campertrailers.org have a tech section that has a couple of generator boxes

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next