View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 generator Silencing Boxes 

Hi all don't know if i am barking up the wrong tree but to silence a genny by putting a box around it seems a waste of time.If it is a given that the air intake is left unimpeded so to must the exhaust.If it is the exhaust which needs silencing we have a real problem.The Honda for egsample is marketed as the quietest of the bunch and restricting the exhaust further would seem to be a detremental move as far as efficiency goes.That is not to say that some clever bloke can't come up with some thing but I have seen some good attempts only increase the weight and not cause any noise reduction when measured.the best ideas still reolve around the longest lead applicable or behind an earth bank.
Having said all that we can always stand corrected.

Sorry but if you can't give a state, no answer from me folks.
sig pic is a 1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:29 pm

This seems like a old thred but if you are looking for a insulated box just chop the top freezer off a 2 door fridge or a small bar fridge with the motor removed, They make great ESKYS too, just fit mower wheels in where the motor goes.

When the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road"

Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:36 pm

I have a generator set up on the rear bumper of my Roadstar. I had the bumper beef up to take the extra weight.I then attached a steel plate to the bumper and straped the Gene to the plate. I had a alloy checker plate lid mad up with vents, the same as a sewing machine lid, it can be locked with a padlock. I would suggest you try and line the lid to quiten the noise. It works great and cost about $250 to build. I also have sola power the only thing that brings me to town is the amount of weter I carry
PARADO TOM wrote:
I Am Looking For The Same But Will The Generator Overheat In Side The Box.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:31 am

Post Gen Silence
Hi all, the noise from a Gen comes from the exhaust. Whilst on ops in the army we dug a small hole and put a flex metal hose from the gen into the hole and covered it with rocks,all you can hear is the whir of the engine. You can also produce a baffle for the exhaust to fit into"a silencer". Try it and see what I mean
Regards
Flinsay

Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:48 am

That works and I have done it myself. The last time I did it we had a mate who was a motor engineer, he advised that some of these "silencing" modifications can cause excessive back pressure and may damage the engine. Now I have a small oil filter (from a Gemini which I had left in the shed when my sons had their first cars many years ago) which I have adapted to sleeve over the end of the exhaust. I have drilled a few extra holes to allow the gasses to escape, and to reduce the back pressure phenomenon.

Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:25 pm

Some years back I built a insulated box out of 6mm marine ply to house a garden pump then lining it with those acoustic wall tiles. Reduced the db rating from 85 down to mid sixties which is a lot in acoustic terms . Vented the box with 100 x150 stainless steel wall vents from a boat supplier

Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:20 pm
We went to the hardware and purchased one of those clip together dog kennels, and some silver insulation. The kennel clips apart and the pieces fit together. The generator sits inside takes up no more room than the Genny all you need is to cut a hole for the exhaust. Also protects the Genny from the weather. Medium size Dog kennel fits the Honda.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:56 am

Post dog house
Mumma, do you have to let the Genny out for a run occasionally?

Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:34 pm

Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:42 pm

Post A trick from the Army
If you are going to stay for a long time it may be worth digging a hole deep enough, so that the whole generator is below ground level.
All sound will go straight up!!!!

Not so good if you get heavy rain!

Save half the digging by walling up the dirt on your camp side!

If you are in a rocky area, a rockwall between genny and your camp will do the trick as well.
Cost nothing!

Try not to use the old fashioned noisy generators at all, you won't make friends with them!

80S Land Cruiser 40th (petrol)[1998]
20ft Jayco Sterling C/V (20.64-2)[2006]

Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next