Cooling while free camping

TramcarTrev

Cooling while free camping

Post by TramcarTrev » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:34 am

This idea does work.
To cool the outdoor space under your awning proceed as follows.
You will need a knitted shade cloth pegged out from the awing to the ground.
You will need some porous dripper hose; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Flopro-Soake ... 1978857959 you can buy it by the metre at some garden/rural suppliers, you want a length the same length as your shade cloth.
You will need a 20 ltr drum with a bung in the bottom or a decent bucket to contain your refrigerant, Dihydrogen Monoxide. You can get this from any fresh water source though this would work with salt water and give you the sense of an ocean breeze.
Then you need a pump; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/322287712184 ... EBIDX%3AIT
You will need some fittings to connect it all up plus a length of ordinary hose top run from your pump outlet to the porous hose. An inline tap (irrigation type is good) to control the water flow.
You will need some way of powering the pump a 10 watt solar panel or a lead to the 12V Van battery.
To assemble all this proceed as follows Hold the porous hose at the top of the shade cloth using cable ties, home made hooks however you want to do it.

Screw the pump inlet into the bung of your drum or drop it into the bucket. You will need then to connect the porous hose to the pump outlet with garden hose with an inline tap somewhere convenient.

Fill the tank or bucket with your refrigerant and turn on the pump. The refrigerant will drip out of the porous hose and run down the shade cloth and onto the ground; adjust the flow till you can balance flow with evaporation, to be effective you need the water to be evaporated not run off and water the ground.

Assist water dispersal if needed by spraying the shade cloth a soapy material eg "Spray and Wipe" if needed you will find if you spray it on and allow to dry it will last a long time when wetted out by the water.

Other versions exist with a length of 100mm PVC pipe split lengthwise to make a bottom tank but thats is not as easily carried as the non recovery system I discuss here.

How cold will it get? Under best circumstances, a hot dry day with a breeze hitting the shade cloth face on the breeze coming through the damp shade cloth will be about 8c colder than before it hits the cloth. How long will the water last? Under the above conditions ideal for evaporation maybe 4-6 hours...
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

macca1

Re: Cooling while free camping

Post by macca1 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:50 am

[quote="TramcarTrev"]This idea does work.
To cool the outdoor space under your awning proceed as follows.

Think I'll just have another Tinnie

Macca

bagmaker

Post by bagmaker » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:39 pm

Does it work with grey or blackwater TTrev? :lol:

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:09 pm

bagmaker wrote:Does it work with grey or blackwater TTrev? :lol:
Oh yea of little faith. Now this will rock you're socks off, the first time I actually saw this was near Kalgoorlie and the guy was actually using his greywater. It was around 40c most days....
Blogs;

Jay&dee

Post by Jay&dee » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:56 pm

Hi T/T
I am getting some advertising banner hanging down on the right hand side of my lap top and it is blanking out some of your message.
Any idea how to fix it?,

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:13 pm

Same here, I have to move the screen over with the bar at the bottom
Blogs;

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:30 pm

TT that is brilliant .....Just a touch excessive.... :D

I mean what happened to the meat safe any way? When we went rabbit hunting I used to wrap the meat with a towel and hang it from a tree soaked in water regularly, the concession was a bit of fly net around the lot, and I am talking of week end trips here.

38 degrees in Dandenong today reminds me of doing it. :lol:

It was only ever up to 10 rabbits as we chucked many away after inspection for diseases etc. You know you could touch them and they were stone cold. Never had a problem.A long walk to the truck where we had ice in a large chest for the occasion. I reckon some of the old timers here might have done all this. :D

Any way, I did make up a one side drop net from that green shade cloth and only ever used it once, in Mildura, but with a shower of water it did cool down the outside area a fair bit. Hard to beat evaporation. I reckon I wouldn't have been into all that pumpin for the purpose.
Still it's interesting.
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:47 pm

Sounds like too much work. A 12 volt fan and a damp towel works as a small evaporative cooler. Or give yourself a light spray from a trigger action spray bottle and sit in the breeze of fan; cost $2 and minimal water. Not many would set up an annex in a free camp, most of which are short term camping.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:11 am

Motherhen wrote:Sounds like too much work. A 12 volt fan and a damp towel works as a small evaporative cooler. Or give yourself a light spray from a trigger action spray bottle and sit in the breeze of fan; cost $2 and minimal water. Not many would set up an annex in a free camp, most of which are short term camping.
What about if I showed a modification to a fan that gives true evaporative cooling?
Blogs;

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:34 pm

What I have described is true evaporation cooling TT ;-) even if it is not as sophisticated as your inventions.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Return to “Free-Camping Equipment”