Portable Diesel Heater

OffGrid

Portable Diesel Heater

Post by OffGrid » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:55 pm

G'day all,
I just had to share this with you inspite of this post pointing to a particular seller.

For about 5 years I had been toying with how I could portabilise the diesel heaters so as to extensively broaden their use and justify their cost.

I had considered mounting one in a frame not dissimilar to the genni frames with fuel tank on top, heater underneath, plug able power, thermostat, exhaust and ducted hot air out.
Time beat me so I hard fitted one to our van about two year ago. It was difficult fit so that I could get air through the door to annex when required.
Now they are available off the shelf and by way of reference, at least from this site.
http://www.eco-camper.com/component/vir ... eater.html

The only other example of this was some time ago when I had heard that Telstra Linies or similar made them to heat the cable pits in the streets. Having the exhaust well away from the ducted air made them particularly safe against toxic gas buildup in confined spaces.

Take one of these type of heaters on the road and use it to heat the workshop or the milk shed when you get back home.
Maybe even the doghouse can be warmed now.

Rgds
Steve

Titch

Re: Portable Diesel Heater

Post by Titch » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:29 pm

I am interested in this ,but the link is corrupt for me.
Cheers.
Titch

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:34 pm

10:33pm link ok for me, Titch.
BADGER'S Australian Caravan Park Reports
Over 9,000 reports - it's free, no need to join. Go ahead - make your stay!
See ACPR on facebook

OffGrid

Post by OffGrid » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:54 am

Apologies Tich and Badger,

Not sure why that happens as it works for me.
Try the home page http://www.eco-camper.com/ and select heaters in left hand list.

Hope that works for you and others.

Steve

Titch

Post by Titch » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:50 am

Must be my Browser, it opens in compatability mode.
Thank you.
Cheers.
Titch

tar trekka

Post by tar trekka » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:40 pm

Hi there,

I bought a Webasto Diesel Heater kit ($1,680-00), fitted it myself under the bed & it's fantastic.

The Webasto must draw in the air to be heated from inside the caravan & recycle it through the van.

The thermostat is in the air inlet & as the "Return Air" heats up, the Webasto cuts back on the heating & reduces diesel consumption.

If the air is drawn in from outside the van, the thermostat would always detect cold air & the heater would only operate at maximum heating & be very thirsty.

Also, I doubt that the Webasto heater could increase the outside air from say minus 5 degrees C to plus 20 degrees C. This was the temperature we encountered at Myrtle Park (Tas) in mid May 2011.

The "Portable Heater" must be operated outside the van & appears to draw it's air to be heated from outside the van & I think it may "Struggle" to heat a van in cold weather. It would also loose heat by being outside the van & in the ducting to the van.

I don't know if it has "Remote Starting", however if it doesn't, who gets the job of turning it on when the temp is minus 5 degrees C outside.

I love being able to turn my Webasto on without getting out of bed.

Just my thoughts, for what they are worth.

Tar Trekka.

Any day above the ground is a great day.

Return to “Free-Camping Equipment”