Blokey Stuff - Talk to Rob (4WD, Tech, Towing etc)

diwayne
Avid poster

Re: Blokey Stuff - Talk to Rob (4WD, Tech, Towing etc)

Post by diwayne » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:28 am

Hi Rob. Just watched the dvd in issue 155 and am interested in your thoughts re the anti sway controller :?: We have a 23' (int measurement) Manhattan and tow with a 200 series cruiser.regards Wayne.
Di and Wayne
2013 BT50 XT Dual Cab.
2018 JB scorpion Sting 21'6

Rob & Marg
An old hand
Location: Oak Flats, NSW - when we're not on the highways of Australia!

Post by Rob & Marg » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:05 pm

diwayne wrote:Hi Rob. Just watched the dvd in issue 155 and am interested in your thoughts re the anti sway controller :?: We have a 23' (int measurement) Manhattan and tow with a 200 series cruiser.regards Wayne.
G'day Wayne,

After fitting the anti-sway bar, there was a noticeable differance especially when we encountered cross winds. So if your budget allows, it would be a good addition I believe. You are towing a big van, with a big vehicle so if all else is set up properley, i.e. weight hitches, balanced loading of van, correct tyre pressures etc, the anti-sway bar will give you that extra stability on the road.
Bob, the chap who fitted it to our van also recommends that larger vans, say over the 21ft size, would benifit from installation.
Cheers
Rob

diwayne
Avid poster

Post by diwayne » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:45 pm

Thanks Rob its now on the list. ta Wayne
Di and Wayne
2013 BT50 XT Dual Cab.
2018 JB scorpion Sting 21'6

GJenko
Been here for a while

Post by GJenko » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:47 am

Hi Rob and Marg,
Throughly enjoy your articles and dvd's and I am sure this has been mentioned but I will ask anyway, is your tug a manual or auto?
Cheers, Geoff

ParamountCruiser
Avid poster

Post by ParamountCruiser » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:45 am

Rob & Marg wrote:After fitting the anti-sway bar, there was a noticeable differance especially when we encountered cross winds. So if your budget allows, it would be a good addition I believe. You are towing a big van, with a big vehicle so if all else is set up properley, i.e. weight hitches, balanced loading of van, correct tyre pressures etc, the anti-sway bar will give you that extra stability on the road.
Bob, the chap who fitted it to our van also recommends that larger vans, say over the 21ft size, would benifit from installation.
Cheers Rob
Hayman Reese instructions (http://haymanreese.com.au/products/swaycontrollers.htm) state that they are only suitable for ball weights of up to 200 kgs. I would suspect that the majority of vans over 21' would have a ball weight greater than 200 kgs.
Neil

LeeVin
On a roll

Post by LeeVin » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:22 pm

Hi Rob,
Why do you change the engine oil (diesel) at 5000kms intervals? My BT50 has a recommended service interval of 10000kms.
I thought that with new engine/machinery & oil technology, this was not necessary.
I heard a rumour from a service agent that one company (Mitsibishi I think) was talking of raising their service intervals to 15000kms.
I prefer diesel for working engines, but they are expensive to maintain.
Have a great day.
Robert.

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:57 pm

rraakk wrote:Why do you change the engine oil (diesel) at 5000kms intervals? My BT50 has a recommended service interval of 10000kms.
I thought that with new engine/machinery & oil technology, this was not necessary.Robert.
The Prado is recommended at 10,000 kms but like most cars if used under severe conditions (eg. towing, short trips, high speed, dusty) the recommended distance is halved. It's detailed in the service manual. I always do mine around 5,000 kms.

This has been the case for decades for most makes. For the 2004 diesel Prado, 5,000 kms was standard interval and 2,500 kms for severe.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:12 am

Old Techo wrote:
rraakk wrote:Why do you change the engine oil (diesel) at 5000kms intervals? My BT50 has a recommended service interval of 10000kms.
I thought that with new engine/machinery & oil technology, this was not necessary.Robert.
The Prado is recommended at 10,000 kms but like most cars if used under severe conditions (eg. towing, short trips, high speed, dusty) the recommended distance is halved. It's detailed in the service manual. I always do mine around 5,000 kms.

This has been the case for decades for most makes. For the 2004 diesel Prado, 5,000 kms was standard interval and 2,500 kms for severe.
rraakk & Old Techo,

Old Tech I reckon has given you the answer. The oil is the lifeblood of the engine, and because it is working harder when towing the van it needs to be in the best possible condition. Also, take care when choosing the oil, cheaper brands aren't necessarily cheaper in the long term.
Cheers
Rob

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:22 am

ParamountCruiser wrote:
Rob & Marg wrote:After fitting the anti-sway bar, there was a noticeable differance especially when we encountered cross winds. So if your budget allows, it would be a good addition I believe. You are towing a big van, with a big vehicle so if all else is set up properley, i.e. weight hitches, balanced loading of van, correct tyre pressures etc, the anti-sway bar will give you that extra stability on the road.
Cheers Rob
Hayman Reese instructions (http://haymanreese.com.au/products/swaycontrollers.htm) state that they are only suitable for ball weights of up to 200 kgs. I would suspect that the majority of vans over 21' would have a ball weight greater than 200 kgs.
G'day Paramount Cruiser & DiWayne,

It's a matter I guess of personal choice. Anything that can add stability to your set up is worth considering in my opinion. Obviously budgets have to come into consideration.
We fitted the unit after all other aspects of the set up were completed ( as mentioned in the earlier post) and we did notice a differance after the unit was installed.

Cheers
Rob

gregstewart1
Getting the hang of it

Post by gregstewart1 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:44 am

Hi Rob,
Well your back eh!! and I notice you are selling your Van .Any reason,like not happy with it??I was wondering do you know of a manhattan group club or the like.And also do you know of a maintenance/service manual or similar as we are about to head off for a trip.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Greg

Return to “Talk to Rob”