Blokey Stuff - Talk to Rob (4WD, Tech, Towing etc)

snowycarter
On a roll

Re: Blokey Stuff - Talk to Rob (4WD, Tech, Towing etc)

Post by snowycarter » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi Rob
I just puchased a uh015 SX radiohave u herd of them and are they ok as its my first radio for my new suburu anything else i should be looking at to get for the car
Rob

OF1
On a roll

Post by OF1 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:01 pm

Thanks Rob for details of your CB. Any chance on one of your DVD of giving info on using it. I mean how do you contact the truck behind (and know it is him) and not a truck 5km away? and if I am travelling with friends in another car how do I get them and not the van infront of me?

I have just watched the latest DVD (Ayre peninsular) magic!
Can you tell me where you stayed when crossing the Nullabour. Was it just at the side of the road or designated stopovers.
Also at the free stays you said there were small charges, where did you pay?
Finnally, on your braking segment you said anything towed over 2000kgs had to have brakes, I thought it was anything over 750Kgs.
Carry on with the hard life, I know someone has to do it.
Hedley
Hedley & Lee
Landcruiser GXL 200 series Diesel
Traveller Prodigy 23"6

Aussietraveler
Avid poster

Post by Aussietraveler » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:34 pm

Hi Rob
i have a question on reversing your caravan do you use low gear when reversing i have been looking on the other forums to see what others use i did my clutch on my 2010 ford ranger and many say to use low gear .

what do you think
Andrew

CaptainMort
Getting the hang of it

Post by CaptainMort » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:04 am

Hi Rob

I have just received Issue156 in the post and I noticed in the cover pic on your story on the Eyre Peninsula that the van has the front four seasons hatch open.
Did you open it just while you were stopped or do you travel with it open and is it safe to do so?

Thanks
Brett

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:40 am

Hi Andrew,
Sorry to but in, I usually use low range when reversing the caravan. My vehicle is an auto Landcruiser and when you select low the centre diff does not lock like many 4x4’s and so you don’t get what they call axle wind up which is not an issue on rough ground but on a hard surface is not good for the drive train.

Using low range allows you to have very good control and when reversing and going slow gives you time to correct going the wrong way.

Unfortunately some vehicles auto lock into full four wheel drive when you select low but some people do a mod so this won’t happen and this leaves it up to the drive to select low range.

Yes reversing in low range gives more control and would take load of the clutch and engine.

JR
:razz:

Rob & Marg
An old hand
Location: Oak Flats, NSW - when we're not on the highways of Australia!

Post by Rob & Marg » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:28 pm

snowycarter wrote:Hi Rob
I just puchased a uh015 SX radiohave u herd of them and are they ok as its my first radio for my new suburu anything else i should be looking at to get for the car
Rob
G'day Snowy,

Once again sorry about the delay in responding - but filming the DVD takes heaps of time & we are now just clear of that.
I suppose to answer your question, it will depend on how deep your pockets are & what you want to spend.
I believe a camera mounted on a van is a very good thing to have. Cambined with the CB \ UHF, you can monitor what is happening around you and take the necessary action.

Cheers
Rob

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:33 am

CaptainMort wrote:Hi Rob

I have just received Issue156 in the post and I noticed in the cover pic on your story on the Eyre Peninsula that the van has the front four seasons hatch open.
Did you open it just while you were stopped or do you travel with it open and is it safe to do so?

Thanks
Brett
G'day Brett,
You have got me on that one. I haven't seen issue # 156 yet, but if it shows me travelling with a hatch open, I've made a mistake. I travel with the hatches closed & locked - so I must have missed it in the pre drive check. I better pay closer attention. :oops:
Cheers
Rob

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:34 am

J.REEVES wrote:Hi Andrew,
Sorry to but in, I usually use low range when reversing the caravan. My vehicle is an auto Landcruiser and when you select low the centre diff does not lock like many 4x4’s and so you don’t get what they call axle wind up which is not an issue on rough ground but on a hard surface is not good for the drive train.

Using low range allows you to have very good control and when reversing and going slow gives you time to correct going the wrong way.

Unfortunately some vehicles auto lock into full four wheel drive when you select low but some people do a mod so this won’t happen and this leaves it up to the drive to select low range.

Yes reversing in low range gives more control and would take load of the clutch and engine.

JR
:razz:
Thanks JR,
You have answered it well.
Cheers
Rob

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:37 am

Aussietraveler wrote:Hi Rob
i have a question on reversing your caravan do you use low gear when reversing i have been looking on the other forums to see what others use i did my clutch on my 2010 ford ranger and many say to use low gear .

what do you think
Andrew
G'day Andrew,
JR has given an excellant response. I'd be going with that advice.

Cheers
Rob

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:34 am

OF1 wrote:Thanks Rob for details of your CB. Any chance on one of your DVD of giving info on using it. I mean how do you contact the truck behind (and know it is him) and not a truck 5km away? and if I am travelling with friends in another car how do I get them and not the van infront of me?

I have just watched the latest DVD (Ayre peninsular) magic!
Can you tell me where you stayed when crossing the Nullabour. Was it just at the side of the road or designated stopovers.
Also at the free stays you said there were small charges, where did you pay?
Finnally, on your braking segment you said anything towed over 2000kgs had to have brakes, I thought it was anything over 750Kgs.
Carry on with the hard life, I know someone has to do it.
Hedley
G'day Hedley,
Re the contact using CB, I posted a similar response at this link, it should answer your question; http://www.candm.com.au/forum/viewtopic ... &start=100

Crossing the Nullabor we stopped at;
Norseman, Fraser Range Station, Madura, Nullabor then Ceduna. All were in designated van parks or road house. All were clean and tidy. Fraser Range was a "farm stay"
type arrangement and we did a trip around the station. Madura had a nice little restaurant. There are numerous free camps along the way also, so you won't be short of places to stay. A small fee ( $2) sometimes may apply if you shower at a road house & fees are paid over the counter.
Also, if you want something differant, try taking on the Nullabor Links - 18 holes of golf on the longest golf course in the world. :lol:

Re Brakes...
under 750 kgs - no brakes required
750-2000kgs -brakes on wheels on at least one axle
2000kgs + brakes on all wheels on all axles AND be fitted with breakaway brake system.

Thanks for your comments re our trip, we have been having a great time.
Cheers
Rob

Return to “Talk to Rob”