Girly Stuff - Talk to Marg (Caravan, Shopping, Knitting etc)

Rob & Marg
An old hand
Location: Oak Flats, NSW - when we're not on the highways of Australia!

Re: Girly Stuff - Talk to Marg (Caravan, Shopping, Knitting

Post by Rob & Marg » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:52 pm

whatalife wrote:Hi Marg Could you please tell me how you transport your coffee machine, do you leave it on the bench when you're travelling or do you pack it away in it's box? I have purchased one and there's no way I'll be leaving home without it. It would make life easier if it could be left out rather than packing it away each time we move. Regards Monica
HI Monica,

That's easy to answer... we just lay a folded tea-towel in the sink (to stop scratches) and put the coffee machine on top of it. It fits perfectly for transport, and doesn't move. All I have to do is lift it up and move it about 30 centimetres to the left!

Cheers
Marg

Boroma577
Cracked the big time

Post by Boroma577 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:28 pm

Rob & Marg wrote: Someone I met on the road said she found one of those haircut things (what DO you call them?) that had a special attachment that allowed a somewhat longer cut
Cheers
Marg
I bought a set of Wahl clippers which comes with several blades including a #8 and will try it out once we hit the road. Won't matter so much then if it ends up a bit short for a couple of weeks.

I paid the extra and bought a cordless set for ease of use. Think I worked it out that 7 'his' haircuts and I will have paid for them

Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:32 pm

We bought a $20 set and has 4 combs (too short for women) but does my hair OK.
Frank

cannylass
Confident

Post by cannylass » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:39 pm

I do a bit of crocheting, and make gem trees and now scrapbooking I don't have room to take all and my husband has given me strict orders to take only one thing, not sure what to take now
cannylass

whatalife
I'm new, be nice!

Post by whatalife » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:25 am

Hi Marg
Many thanks for your reply.

Regards
Monica

Gemini&Leo
Been here for a while

Post by Gemini&Leo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:40 am

[quote][quote]Could you please tell me how you transport your coffee machine

Hi Monica
in regards to your question re transportation of coffee machine I put mine in one of those insulated bags from the supermarket and put it on the floor of the ensuite. travels perfectly.

Gemini&Leo
[color=#0080FF]Gemini&Leo
21' 2008 Jayco Sterling
2010 Mitsubishi Pajero
www.travelpod.com/travel-blog/butch.christine/1/tpod

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:41 pm

cannylass wrote:I do a bit of crocheting, and make gem trees and now scrapbooking I don't have room to take all and my husband has given me strict orders to take only one thing, not sure what to take now
Only one thing????

Hmmm. Well, if you like crocheting, you can buy wool/cotton and make stuff and then post it back home for storage or for gifts, so that won't take up much room.

Scrapbooking is harder. I took a whole bunch of stuff with me several years ago and didn't end up doing it much at all, because I needed to spread out too much... it just didn't work with caravanning, for me. If you feel like having a go at digital scrapbooking it's easier... just create them on your computer and then print out the whole page later if you want to keep it in an album.

I'm not sure how much you have to take with you to create gem trees, but I imagine you have a set of tools plus the gems plus other stuff.

I ended up mostly knitting... a bit like crocheting: you can make things and then send them away/home.

Cheers
Marg
Rob & Marg
Mazda BT50 & Royal Flair
http://www.margandrobcaravanning.com

burky53
On a roll

Post by burky53 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:22 pm

Hi Marg, love the little sewing machine. How long ago did you purchase it from Spotlight? Hubby and I are off on the big one in February next year, for at least 12 months and quite possibly will have repairs to clothing to attend to whilst away - this little beauty would be ideal for our van.
cheers

Food&Fish
Avid poster

Post by Food&Fish » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:04 am

Rob & Marg wrote:A few months back I posted on another forum thread a photo of the nifty little sewing machine that I bought at Spotlight. It's an Elna Mini Opal, weighs just a couple of kilos and does just straight stitch and zig zag - fine for most on-the-road purposes!

Thought I'd post a pic of it here again for all the interested sewers. I've got it standing next to a C&M mag so you can get some idea of the size.

Cheers
Marg
Bl';dy quilts we have dozens of them our current van has an Elna 1200 [garage sale $10.00] strapped in the bottom of the wardrobe
If it isent broke dont fix it

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:39 am

Food&Fish wrote: Bl';dy quilts we have dozens of them our current van has an Elna 1200 [garage sale $10.00] strapped in the bottom of the wardrobe
Hi Food&Fish,

I bought the Mini Opal at Spotlight in Mackay somewhere around last July, I think - but only a few weeks ago Spotlight had a special on another mini-machine and it was only $99!!! Very similar - I'm not sure whether the one that was on special a few weeks ago had a built-in light or not.

I'd love to see some photos of some of those quilts... feel like posting some?

I haven't done a lot of sewing since I've been back (apart from new curtains) but I have been knitting up a storm. A funky cot blanket for a grandchild expected in September, plus breaks in between to knit squares for Wrap with Love, although I don't know if I'll get a whole wrap finished by the deadline of August 5 - might have to just donate the squares!

Cheers
Marg
Rob & Marg
Mazda BT50 & Royal Flair
http://www.margandrobcaravanning.com

Return to “Talk to Marg”