Girly Stuff - Talk to Marg (Caravan, Shopping, Knitting etc)

Rob & Marg
An old hand
Location: Oak Flats, NSW - when we're not on the highways of Australia!

Re: Girly Stuff - Talk to Marg (Caravan, Shopping, Knitting

Post by Rob & Marg » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:09 am

jayem wrote:Marg, I noticed on the last DVD that Rob had his hair cut but a fellow traveller but what do you do about yours? BTW, your hair always looks well maintained! It is not so easy for women to get a reasonable hair cut first time round with a hairdresser so I have been intrigued by what you and other travellers do when away from your own hairdresser for extended periods of time.
Hi Jayem,

It can be difficult! The main problem I have is that I usually have colour streaks added via foils, and even if there's a hairdresser in the caravan park, like Yvonne who cut Rob's hair, they mostly don't do colour.

So I usually ask around. The tip I got from a hairdresser was this: "Ask someone local who has a good haircut or who has it in a style that you like: where do THEY get their hair cut?" (I found out the hard way not to ask someone with long hair who they recommend.)

Still, I haven't always found someone who's good with scissors, and when you have hair as short as mine it needs cutting every 6-8 weeks. And when you're going around Australia for a year, that's a lot of haircuts!

My hairdresser back home took a photo of the last haircut/colour I had before I left home, with my digital camera, and said to give that to a hairdresser and say 'this is the style and colour I want'. Of course, I never got around to having the photo printed: it's still on my computer!

I do Rob's hair every so often with a home haircut thingy... No. 2 all over; that's easy! (Occasionally he'll go to a barber because he says it's safer. Humph.)

Someone I met on the road said she found one of those haircut things (what DO you call them?) that had a special attachment that allowed a somewhat longer cut, and her husband uses it to cut her hair, because she likes it fairly short (and it suits her). Can't remember the brand, but I'll ask her if you're interested.

Cheers
Marg

D & G
Avid poster

Post by D & G » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:53 am

Yvonne has been doing hair in caravan parks for a lot of years. While we were in Darwin staying at the Shady Glen C/p in '06 she cut my hair but when it came to colour had to look further afield aka the other end of the C/p. Haidresser who had moved to Darwin and had set up a busy little business with the people in the park and charged a resonable price. Some parks don't allow colouring of hair, just cuts; their reason being people go to the amenties to wash the colour out and in the process leave a lot of mess behind!!! :evil:
Is Hank still making is own red wine? :twisted: :twisted:
David & Gladys

on the road again______

Ford F250
Coromal Lifestyle Offroad (ClancyIII)

jayem
Avid poster

Post by jayem » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:24 pm

Thanks Marg but to be truthful I would rather have someone qualified do my hair. I am not stressed about colour but I do like it to be cut well.

I usually run the clippers over my DH's hair and have done for many years. He is happy with that.

I think it is a good idea to take a photo but I suspect that, like you, I would struggle to get the photo printed and, even if I did, would be flat out knowing where I put it when it was time for the haircut!

Anyway, I guess word of mouth and asking other travellers is the way to go.

Thanks.
Jan

2009 Ford Territory AWD,
2003 Compass Tandem full height
via Kempsey, NSW

xina
Avid poster

Post by xina » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:39 pm

Hi Jayem,
Have you tried Googling Short Hairstyles ? If you find the one you want, all you have to do then, is Save it, and Print it. That's what I've done, ready for when I can afford a decent cut again.

Cheers,
xina.
An it harm none, do what you will.

jayem
Avid poster

Post by jayem » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks Xina, I will have a look at that.
Jan

2009 Ford Territory AWD,
2003 Compass Tandem full height
via Kempsey, NSW

Sharls
Getting the hang of it

Post by Sharls » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:29 pm

Rob & Marg wrote:
dream4red wrote:Marg, I loved your blog on amenities, it was so close to the bone. :lol: But I must share with all, the tiny ensuites that we encountered at Armidale. They were named "the gnome throne" and were amazingly tiny. So far the very best bathroom that we have encountered was at the top tourist at Bundaberg. It was so big that there was even a chair in the dressing area and they had some very cute guard frogs outside the door. I know there are many parts of this country where an ensuite is just not going to appear from the ether, but will have to deal with that as it happens.
Hmmm, I must make a note of what to expect at Armidale! :-)
We actually stayed at a caravan park in Whyalla where they cut up old towels to make bathmats for guests... one basket full of clean bathmats; another empty basket to throw the used bathmat in when you've finished your shower. What a great idea! The same place also provided spray bottles of disinfectant and wipes in the laundry: they asked that you spray and wipe out the washing machines when you finished, or if you wanted to be certain you could also use them on a machine before you started the wash cycle. (This was a pet-friendly park, so that might be part of the reason this service was provided... pet blankets?)
Cheers
Marg

Hi Marg,
Love the DVD's and look forward to hearing of your new adventures.
In reference to the cut up towels in the caravan park at Whyalla. I to think that is a fantastic idea. I'd like to pass on a tip as well. I make good use of old towels that still have life in them by folding them in half and overlocking around the edges. They make great mats for wet weather, even in the car. They absorb water much better than carpet mats and can be washed in the machine when dirty.

Cheers
Sharlyne

Rob & Marg
An old hand
Location: Oak Flats, NSW - when we're not on the highways of Australia!

Post by Rob & Marg » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:45 pm

Sharls wrote:I'd like to pass on a tip as well. I make good use of old towels that still have life in them by folding them in half and overlocking around the edges. They make great mats for wet weather, even in the car. They absorb water much better than carpet mats and can be washed in the machine when dirty. Cheers Sharlyne
Love it!

I usually take a bathmat with me when I go to the amenities (well, when I remember) because in so many of them you end up standing in a puddle of water to get dressed and don't have a chance of getting dressed without something getting wet!

Marg

Gemini&Leo
Been here for a while

Post by Gemini&Leo » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:02 am

We are currently staying at Whyalla Foreshaw CP and they have a basket of bathmats in the amenities block for use in the showers and another basket to put the wet ones in.
Gemini&Leo

bluebus
An old hand

Post by bluebus » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:26 pm

hi geminie and leo :lol: :lol:

Gee your in a good spot there, have you tried the sausages? they are prime....
Are you on the water front sites as we were when we were there in october last year for two weeks. :razz:
The only down fall was we only had one really good day the others were overcast and wet but no body can predict the weather...
But regardless of the weather when you visit the park it is a terrific park to stay at no complaints from us..The towels in the basket is a good idea
Are you going on the one steel tour it is something i highly recommend..
we also recommend the h.m.s whyalla ship site at the tourist information and museum centre... :rolleyes:

keep on coastimg along :roll:

karen,ron,and girls :mrgreen:

whatalife
I'm new, be nice!

Post by whatalife » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:19 am

Hi Marg

Could you please tell me how you transport your coffee machine, do you leave it on the bench when you're travelling or do you pack it away in it's box? I have purchased one and there's no way I'll be leaving home without it. It would make life easier if it could be left out rather than packing it away each time we move.

Regards
Monica

Return to “Talk to Marg”