Girly Stuff - Talk to Marg (Caravan, Shopping, Knitting etc)

Rob & Marg
An old hand
Location: Oak Flats, NSW - when we're not on the highways of Australia!

Girly Stuff - Talk to Marg (Caravan, Shopping, Knitting etc)

Post by Rob & Marg » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:51 am

Want to chat about the inside of the caravan, shopping for stuff, sewing, knitting, kitchen supplies etc etc? Pass on tips or ask questions here!

Cheers
Marg :-)

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Re: Girly Stuff - Talk to Marg (Caravan, Shopping, Knitting

Post by Rob & Marg » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:42 pm

A few months back I posted on another forum thread a photo of the nifty little sewing machine that I bought at Spotlight. It's an Elna Mini Opal, weighs just a couple of kilos and does just straight stitch and zig zag - fine for most on-the-road purposes!

Thought I'd post a pic of it here again for all the interested sewers. I've got it standing next to a C&M mag so you can get some idea of the size.

Cheers
Marg

labrat
An old hand

Post by labrat » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi Marg
I always take hand sewing in the van. I love to quilt and have made quilts for the van. :rolleyes:
It is easy to learn even if you are can't sew.
there are plenty of on line quilt freebies just type in free quilt patterns and have a go.
It is easy to become adicted to it. :mrgreen:
Happy Trails
[font=Arial][size=134]Labrat ::: Bob & Rosalie[/size][/font]:D
[size=134]Landcruiser[font=Arial]& ATV Kedron[/font][/size] :)

jayem
Avid poster

Post by jayem » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:26 pm

My hobby is scrapbooking and my craft room is so well set up that I am not sure how I could condense enough to have a travel pack.

Given that most of our travel is short term, I have not really been concerned about the real practicalities of have a less than portable hobby.

If anyone else is a "scrapper", perhaps you could let me know your secrets.
Jan

2009 Ford Territory AWD,
2003 Compass Tandem full height
via Kempsey, NSW

sufil
Confident

Post by sufil » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:59 pm

I knit whilst we are travelling...small stuff usually..teddies,toys,beanies,bedsocks and bootees,cuddle blankies for kids...I check out the op shops and buy wool from them. Yesterdays find was 4 complete balls and 6 part balls for the princely sum of $4.00.!!Handknitted jumpers in interesting wools get unpicked and re used. Everything is then donated to womens refuge centres, hospitals, playgroups basically who ever I can off load it too!! I can't sit and do nothing and it costs me only my time that I am sitting doing nothing anyway.
At present I am knitting teddies and toys for the annual Christmas Shoebox Appeal.
I am also a sewer so when we stop long enough for the annex to go up the sewing machine and overlocker come out of the car.Again I hunt out materials at op shops,interesting fabrics in the $1 clothing specials and remake them into something else.Again toys ,clothes,patchwork quilts, crafty things.
When I have a bag or two full I will call into a church manse or a police station and they are generally more than willing to pass things on to a worthy local cause.

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Quilting

Post by Rob & Marg » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:43 pm

Rosalie, I requested a Janome Quilters Companion sewing machine a few years back for my birthday around the time I enrolled in a quilting class - I'd wanted to do it for ages! But something came up and I had to put it off. Then something ELSE came up and I couldn't get to the next class either... and so on and so on.
The machine got left behind when we packed for the trip (but now I have my little Opal!) because I still love craft. Maybe one of these days I'll take on a quilt... or maybe a smaller project while we're travelling. :-)
Cheers
Marg

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Scrapbooking

Post by Rob & Marg » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:52 pm

Jan, I had a whole room full of scrapbooking supplies when we started 'downsizing' for our big trip! I ended up selling everything in the room to one person who was keen to do more scrapbooking. I decided to look into digital scrapbooking... but so far haven't had a lot of spare time while travelling.

A few years back when we did a shorter trip (around 5 weeks) I took a big scrapbooking bag with me full of stuff, but after getting it out just twice gave up... I needed far too much room to spread out! That's when I decided digital scrapbooking might be the answer.

You might not want to do digital scrapbooking at all, but if you are interested here are a couple of sites to check out:

http://www.digitalscrapbookplace.com/un ... sics.shtml

http://www.scrapbookpresentations.com/i ... oking.html

Cheers
Marg

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Knitting

Post by Rob & Marg » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:57 pm

Hi Sufil,
I like to knit too; have done for years... and guess what? I find that knitting is one thing I can actually do in a car even if the road is a bit rough! (I can't do Sudoku on a rough road...)
So far this trip I've knitted toys (an octopus for a granddaughter; a grandma/grandpa doll combo for a grandson... almost finished: just awaiting the arms to be sewn on; and a pair of 'funky boots' for another grandson (big woolly booties). You'll see the octopus in a while in a blog post.
My sister in law has asked if I can knit scarves to send over to Timor, so I'm going to do some of those as well.
So it looks like we're both sewing and knitting.
BTW, I love your wool bargains! Imagine finding those...
Cheers
Marg

jayem
Avid poster

Post by jayem » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:07 pm

Thanks Marg, I have considered digital scrapbooking but I am not really ready to relinquish the tactile experience of actual scrapbooking.

Perhaps I might do the digital when on the road and the other when not - a happy compromise!

Thanks for the sites BTW, I will look at them with interest.
Jan

2009 Ford Territory AWD,
2003 Compass Tandem full height
via Kempsey, NSW

TassieD
Cracked the big time

Post by TassieD » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:26 pm

My hobby is repairing old and damaged photos so I only need the laptop for it. The poor old back can't tolerate sewing anymore.
Tess & Craig.
06 Landcruiser Sahara & looking.

Our blog Distributor and volunteer for Operation Photo Rescue

Return to “Talk to Marg”