Compliance Plate

bakers

Compliance Plate

Post by bakers » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:51 am

I have just had my compliance plate for the GTM on my van upgraded to 4ton,.its a big van.
Could any body tell me what the ATM and the tare should be.
Cheers
Baker

PeterD

Re: Compliance Plate

Post by PeterD » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:13 pm

No one can tell you what the tare should be. We have not seen a weighbridge ticket. Did you have anything done to the van to get the extra weight (GTM?) If there was nothing added to the van then the tare weight would not have changed.

The ATM would be the GTM plus the maximum loaded weight you expect the ball would weigh when you have it loaded. (As a rough guess you could add 9% of the GTM to that GTM and that could be your ATM.)
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

TheHeaths

Post by TheHeaths » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:36 pm

I would have thought that the upgrade would have been to the ATM of the van, as that is what is done generally. If so, I would suggest the GTM would be the ATM minus the empty ball weight.

If not, then the ATM would generally be the GTM plus the Empty Ball weight, and the Tare would remain as was unless things were added or changed, such as suspension or additional frame/chassis members.
Regards

Ian

Chaos, mayhem and confusion. Good, my job here is done!

Frank & Brenda
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:42 am

TheHeaths wrote:I would have thought that the upgrade would have been to the ATM of the van, as that is what is done generally. If so, I would suggest the GTM would be the ATM minus the empty ball weight.

If not, then the ATM would generally be the GTM plus the Empty Ball weight, and the Tare would remain as was unless things were added or changed, such as suspension or additional frame/chassis members.
I agree with theheaths, I've just had my ATM changed, and they are the only 2 weights mentioned on the plate
20170320_080309.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:59 am

This is how things were done when I had my van upgraded, I suspect the situation will be similar in most upgrades.

The engineer looked at the capacity of the axle group and checked the chassis for its suitability. This determined the maximum GTM that could be declared for the van. We agreed on the GTM I wanted was suitable. Then the ATM was set by adding the maximum likely ball weight to the GTM.

When you go through any exercise you should start with the known figures. In a van upgrade the main one you have is the group axle weight. You then start with this and determine the upgrade weights from there.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

Frank & Brenda
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:35 pm

PeterD wrote:This is how things were done when I had my van upgraded, I suspect the situation will be similar in most upgrades.

The engineer looked at the capacity of the axle group and checked the chassis for its suitability. This determined the maximum GTM that could be declared for the van. We agreed on the GTM I wanted was suitable. Then the ATM was set by adding the maximum likely ball weight to the GTM.

When you go through any exercise you should start with the known figures. In a van upgrade the main one you have is the group axle weight. You then start with this and determine the upgrade weights from there.
Thats right Peter in my case the axle goup weight was stamped on the old compliance pmate at 2600kg
I chose to go for 2000 as that didnt require breakaway brakes and the van was at 1750 with belongings in, water and gas but no food and clothes, 1999 we'll never d go to that

Return to “Weights & Measures”