THE MAGAZINE HAS GOT IT WRONG

PeterD

Re: THE MAGAZINE HAS GOT IT WRONG

Post by PeterD » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:37 pm

chrissmith61 wrote:The magazine has quoted “GVM + ATM = GCM” at the bottom of column one on page 83.

The correct formula should be “GVM + GTM = GCM”
Neither of those formulae are correct – most of the 4WD utes have GCMs less than the sum of the full weight of the truck and the maximum weight on the wheels of the van. The GCM takes into account the total weight of all the axles in the combination.

The other thing you have to watch is you don’t count the ball weight of the van twice. If you are going to weigh the tug and van separately then the Ball weight should be included in the weight of the tug.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician –
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:46 pm

Old Techo wrote:Thanks Chris, but you are limiting the conversation to my perspective (1).

The Oxford Dictionary describes gross the following way….

(of weight) including contents, wrappings, or other variable items; overall:
‘a projected gross take-off weight of 500,000 pounds’

In my perspective (2) what I measure on the weighbridge is my actual mass and it is proper to call it gross vehicle mass as defined by Oxford. So this is the ‘other’ and practical perspective.
Forget dictionaries. Their definitions vary. That is why the drafters of legislation include their own definitions in the legislation. Go to this page. When you are talking about motor vehicle regulations, if you use any other definition then you are wrong.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician –
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:20 pm

Here are some from some of their other publications.

I saw a mag on the top 50 upgrades (or something along that vein)
Air Heater.jpg
Air Heating but pictured a Safe :confused:
Bearings.jpg
Asked the bloke whose bearings would be under greater load, his tandem axle ones or my single axle ones, considering our ATM was similar? :confused:

Sullage Hose Carrier.
Sullage Hose.jpg
Think they meant 50mm, not 150mm unless they have large hoses. :confused:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:37 pm

masterplumber wrote:Asked the bloke whose bearings would be under greater load, his tandem axle ones or my single axle ones, considering our ATM was similar? :confused:
MP, I suspect what he meant was that tandem wheel bearings are subjeced to higher lateral loads every time you turn a tight corner and scrub the tyres. So it’s not a weight thing.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:12 am

PeterD wrote:When you are talking about motor vehicle regulations, if you use any other definition then you are wrong.
PD, thanks for the link to the definitions :) however I see that the single word ‘gross’ is not listed.

In my perpective (1) I was referring to ‘the law’ where you are correct that definitions are critical and I didn’t challenge them.

In my perspective (2) (viewpoint of a curious owner at the weighbridge) where I quoted the Oxford Dictionary I was not talking about motor vehicle regulations. I was talking about a practical way for a layperson to describe the results of a weighbridge test.

I only bothered to enter this discussion to determine if there was a way that the Mag article may have been less wrong than it appeared to Chris.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:52 pm

Old Techo wrote:
masterplumber wrote:Asked the bloke whose bearings would be under greater load, his tandem axle ones or my single axle ones, considering our ATM was similar? :confused:
MP, I suspect what he meant was that tandem wheel bearings are subjeced to higher lateral loads every time you turn a tight corner and scrub the tyres. So it’s not a weight thing.
Food for thought.

I saw a Tri-axle van being pulled by an F250 on theM1.

Those bearings must be under real strain, although I considered peeling the front and rear tyres off the rims more of an issue. :D

MP
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

A’van

Post by A’van » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:42 pm

I was just thinking, would it be good if you could lower one axle and only have 2 wheels on the ground when you want to do a sharp turn, say parking in a tight spot.
You could have a scissor jack welded to the frame on each side over the axle as long as they extend far enough to lift the van or at least take the weight of the other wheels.
A bit extra work and i don’t know if it would work. My van is a single axle so i can’t try it.

Hans
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A’van Aliner

mugndug

Post by mugndug » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:30 pm

The magazine gets a hell of a lot wrong, they definitely do not employ proof readers, fitting of towing mirrors in some road tests doesn’t seem to apply to them. I usually start at the back of the magazine so I don’t get swamped by photos of Fred. They should change the mags name to “The adventures of Fred”
Doug

Return to “Weights & Measures”