Weight issues - (no not the wife)

Macs

Weight issues - (no not the wife)

Post by Macs » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:17 pm

Hi

So, we are 3mths out from setting off permanently and weights have been doing our heads in trying to understand it all. We both had different ideas on what meant what creating some interesting "conversations".

This weekend we went to the weighbridge and I have now come up with the following calculations and hoping someone out there can confirm we have gotten our heads around it finally.

I have a D-Max it has a GCM of 5950 and a GVM of 2950.

The vans TARE weight is 2780. Which I take gives a tow ball weight of approx 278. The ATM is 3400kg

The DMax with us, the fridge, full tank of fuel, kayaks and some other stuff that will come with us weighed in at 2680.

So, I gather if I add 400kg of stuff to the van this will give me a van weight of 3180 and a tow ball weight of 318ish which then puts my DMax at a GVM of 3000kg, 50kg over the GVM.

If that's correct and we finally understand how all this works I am thinking of getting a GVM upgrade to allow a little extra in the DMax. Would change GVM from 2950 to 3220.
I understand that we still cant go over the GCM but would like to be able to have a little something extra in the DMax.

Would love to hear your thoughts on whether my calculations are correct and other thoughts on a GVM upgrade. (I might share who was right and who was wrong depending on your answers lol) :lol:

Thanks

Macs

Re: Weight issues - (no not the wife)

Post by Macs » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:12 pm

I should also add that I dont intend to take the van up to its ATM of 3400kg but instead have a maximum of 3180

Cheers

NEVILLE & TRISH

Post by NEVILLE & TRISH » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:13 pm

Got the deck chairs out & the pop corn ready :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards Neville.......................
2012 Ford Territory Titanium diesel AWD
2012 18' Jayco Sterling pop top with shower / loo.

Macs

Post by Macs » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:49 pm

Yes we figured that this would invoke some heated discussion but trust me it cant be any more heated than what we have had at home lol
I know we arent the only ones struggling to get the right information because the advice we have had is extremely varied!

We just don't understand that weighing both van and car together comes in at 5400 hitched up yet according to some on facebook we now have to add the tow ball weight ON TOP of this 5400 figure effectively giving us a GCM of 5700 although the scales says 5400??

MikeL

Post by MikeL » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:07 pm

Hello Macs,

What is the max ball weight allowable on the DMax?

Does your tare weight of the van include the ball weight?

There is a recommended ball weight of approx. 1/10 of the overall weight of the van's axle group and the ball weight.

This does not guarantee that the ball weight is actually 1/10. it all depends on where the load is in the van.

You should obtain the ball weight independently of the axle group weight.

Someone will be able to help you help you out then
Regards,

MikeL

2011 Pajero GLS 3.2L
Regent "Clare" 17'6" single axle van.

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:20 pm

Hahahahahah!
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:07 pm

Simple solution Macs, wait till the inspectors weigh you, then start throwing ballast overboard...
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

Frank & Brenda
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:34 pm

Your Ball weight does not necessarily go hand in hand with your van weight which you seem to assume
Your empty tare weight may be 2780 but your Ball weight could be 300 with an allowable xxx
When you weighed your van you should have weighed whilst booked up, then with the jockey wheel on the plate lift it of f the towball, the difference between the two would give you the ball weight, of of yo know someone with a towball weight scale (you can pick them up from about $40) is the best way to know exactly what your weight is

J.REEVES

Post by J.REEVES » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:07 pm

Hi Macs,
The way I see it is your GCM (Gross Combination Mass) is the vehicle GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass) plus the vans ATM (Aggregate Trailer Mass).

Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) or Weight (GVW)
This is the maximum your vehicle can weigh when fully loaded as specified by the manufacturer. You will usually find this GVM figure on the vehicle's weight placard (generally found in the driver's door opening) or in the owner's manual. So GVM is the Kerb Mass plus driver, passengers, luggage, pet dog, esky, tool kit and whatever else you're taking with you. And if you're towing something, GVM also includes the Tow Ball Download.

Gross Combination Mass (GCM) or Weight (GCW)
“Towing figures claimed by some manufacturers should all carry a large asterisk”
This is the maximum weight allowed for your vehicle and trailer combined, as specified by the tow vehicle's manufacturer. This is where you have to pay close attention to your vehicle's GVM and your trailer's ATM, because those two figures determine the GCM and one directly affects the other.

Your van has an ATM of 3400Kgs which is a set weight even if you do not load the van to this weight this is the weight used for the calc.

From your data your vehicle has a max GVM of 2950Kgs
D-Max loaded to your requirements has a Load Mass of 2680Kgs
Your caravan has an ATM of 3400Kgs
Your vehicle and van has a GCM of 2650 + 3400 = 6050Kgs
But your D-Max has a GCM by the manufacturer of 5950Kgs
Max van ATM allowable with your D-Max Loaded 5950 – 2680 = 3270Kgs

Before mod:
If the D-Max has a rated towing capacity of 3400Kgs your D-Max Loaded Mass must not exceed 5950 – 3400 = 2550Kgs

After Mod:
If you increase the GVM rating by 270Kgs then 130Kgs of this would be taken by the van ATM and the remaining 140Kgs would go to Loading Mass of the D-Max
The GCM was 5950Kgs and now it would be 5950 + 270 = 6220Kgs
So you should be able to load the D-Max to: 6220 – 3400 = 2820Kgs

Yes I agree if you increase the rating by 270Kgs all should be good but hope someone else has a look in, as I am no expert on this stuff.

Now how are you going to increase the rating of the D-Max?

P.S. just seen Frank and Brenda post. I agree the ball weight needs to be known when the van is loaded as it is not proportional all depends on where you place the load in the van as that will affect the vehicle GVM.

JR
:razz:

Bussy

Post by Bussy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:52 pm

MACS – you need to do a bit more homework on this possible GVM upgrade as they may be misleading you. Upgrading the GVM does exactly the opposite (if you talk to the experts), it reduces your maximum towing capacity. Talk to some people in vehicle safety testing, VicRoads, or like authority in your state (and get it in writing) and not the people that sell or manufacture these things.

I also looked into getting a GVM upgrade on my LC200 series as it has a GVM of 3350 and a GCM of 6800 but on full investigation the GVM upgrade would only allow me to carry more in the LC200 series BUT IT DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR GCM WHICH STAYS FIXED at whatever it is for your model hence I did not do it. It would not matter what I got the GVM upgraded to it would still only allow me to tow a van with and ATM of 3450 to stay under or on the limit GCM 6800 (in my case).

Cheers,
ALLAN
Computer Engineer. 200Series TTD Altitude SE
Home building a 21.6ft off-roader called "The Taj Mah AL".
Steel Chassis, Simplicity Suspension, Aluminium Frame.
Paulownia Cabinetry, All 12 volt & Self Sufficient
When its finished WE retire.

Return to “Weights & Measures”