Isuzu MU-X and aftermarket Towbars

masterplumber

Isuzu MU-X and aftermarket Towbars

Post by masterplumber » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:41 am

Hi all,
OT has been doing some calculation on sister post, or is that a sibling post?

Any way OT got me thinking.

First up, I have a MU-X LST with genuine towbar fitted by the dealer, and tow a single axle van with a ball load of 200Kg.

Personally, I am happy enough with the genuine gear as supplied.

Some interesting stuff copied from another forum regarding WDH use:

Reason given to me as to the use of WDH's being not "approved" by IUA was that if incorrectly used, cracking of the chassis could/may occur as has been the case with other manufacturers.

"Yes I can understand their concern -- two weeks ago saw a ute couple up to a van, jockey wheel removed and the van was obviously too heavy in the front.....(like about 120mm free space under the hitch to the road).
Out came the WDH bars and the person could not fit them to "level up" his rig.....................SO..................out comes a pair of ramps which were placed under the tow vehicles rear wheels. Low range and vehicle is driven up the ramps. Rig is now positive past the level point. And so the bars are attached, vehicle moved forward off the ramps and 'BINGO' the rig is all nice and level.

To me an accident looking for a place to happen....."

Here are the Isuzu MU-X Specs. Please note the 1236mm distance, Ctr of rear axle to ctr of ball

Regards
Gerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

dieseltojo

Re: Isuzu MU-X and aftermarket Towbars

Post by dieseltojo » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:45 pm

I can picture it.
Just a point though it is advised to raise the van after hitch up . This makes the distance between the ground and hitch higher and makes the install much easier. Then let it down and remove the jockey wheel.

I have a set number of links, and a small lift makes the process easy.

But if you have to break your back to hook up some thing is drastically wrong. Some blokes take the downward load into consideration but not the fact that the truck is most likely overloaded.
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:37 pm

I found it interesting that Isuzu has a millimetre acurate nominated maximum measurement .

Now as a plumber and gas fitter I generally don't work to one millimetre unless gas is involved.

Take the distance between a domestic cooktop and range hood, which is a minimum of 600mm unless the manufacturer of either nominates a greater distance.

You might be surprised as to the number of people who will try and argue with me, without success, that 580mm is close enough.

Being a cautious person, I recon the same should apply to a maximum measurement.

One forum I perused had a couple of people who were going to take Isuzu to task for false advertising because a prominent caravan magazine was promoting the MU-X while towing a caravan while using a WHD.

Perhaps in these days of litigation the suppliers should put purchasers through a short course to ensure that they know the limitations of their equipment.

Allegedly someone reconed that Toyota had to warrat a hilux which suffered damage after being airborne because that is what was shown in their comercials. What next, let it roll off a cliff and onto the beach and expect it to start?

Regards
Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:19 pm

masterplumber wrote:Hi all,
OT has been doing some calculation on sister post, or is that a sibling post?

Any way OT got me thinking.
What is this off topic post you are referring to? (OT means off topic in forum speak.) If you are referring to another thread you should link to it and not leave people guessing. Topics should be self contained and that means spelling out initials the first time you use them in a topic.
Reason given to me as to the use of WDH's being not "approved" by IUA was that if incorrectly used, cracking of the chassis could/may occur as has been the case with other manufacturers.
Who is IUA?
"Yes I can understand their concern -- two weeks ago saw a ute couple up to a van, jockey wheel removed and the van was obviously too heavy in the front.....(like about 120mm free space under the hitch to the road).
Out came the WDH bars and the person could not fit them to "level up" his rig.....................SO..................out comes a pair of ramps which were placed under the tow vehicles rear wheels. Low range and vehicle is driven up the ramps. Rig is now positive past the level point. And so the bars are attached, vehicle moved forward off the ramps and 'BINGO' the rig is all nice and level.

To me an accident looking for a place to happen....."

Gerry

I'm just wondering this bit "To me an accident looking for a place to happen.." I just see the use of ramps as a clumsy way of achieving the same results that would have happened had they used the WDH manufacturers recommendation on how to install the bars. They recommend that the jockey wheel be used to raise the hitch to a level where the bars can be applied with minimum effort. To me, using ramps takes a lot more effort. Gerry, did you post some comments on the forum you gleaned this interesting piece from? I think the poster of that piece needs a bit of education on the correct way of hitching up.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:59 pm

IUA = Isuzu Ute Australia.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:41 pm

Hi Peter,
not Off Topic but Old Tehcno as he is now known :lol:

No Peter I haven't responded to any posts as I was just looking for Towbar Info.

Also as I don't use a WDH I don't feel that I should be offering others advice on same.

Any how you are welcome to knock yourself out: http://www.ozisuzu.com.au/index.php?topic=1292.0

Glanyard,
would you care to have a look at your owners manual to see if the D-Max has the same overhang measurement as the MU-X please?

Regards
Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:17 pm

masterplumber wrote:Hi Peter,
not Off Topic but Old Tehcno as he is now known :lol:

No Peter I haven't responded to any posts as I was just looking for Towbar Info.

Also as I don't use a WDH I don't feel that I should be offering others advice on same.

Any how you are welcome to knock yourself out: http://www.ozisuzu.com.au/index.php?topic=1292.0

Glanyard,
would you care to have a look at your owners manual to see if the D-Max has the same overhang measurement as the MU-X please?

Regards
Gerry
Gerry,
The diagram in my "Owners and Drivers Manual" shows that the "Maximum permissible overhang is 1397mm(55.0in) Regular Cab and 1377mm (54.2in) for Extended/Crew Cab."
That dimension is from the centre of the rear wheel to the centre of the tow ball of the factory/dealer fitted tow bar.
Is that what you are after?
I use a HR brand WDH with this set up and have had no problems, however my van is light and I have it set up properly; I hope!
glanyard

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:51 pm

Have a sqizz at these illustrations;https://www.google.com.au/search?q=D+ma ... xe3iODM%3A
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:48 pm

glanyard wrote:
Gerry,
The diagram in my "Owners and Drivers Manual" shows that the "Maximum permissible overhang is 1397mm(55.0in) Regular Cab and 1377mm (54.2in) for Extended/Crew Cab."
That dimension is from the centre of the rear wheel to the centre of the tow ball of the factory/dealer fitted tow bar.
Is that what you are after?
I use a HR brand WDH with this set up and have had no problems, however my van is light and I have it set up properly; I hope!
glanyard
Thanks for the info Glanyard, Isuzu must just take their measurements as fitted to each vehicle.

I thought that the D Max overhang might have been greater as you would have leaf springs as compared to MU-X coils.

If your van is light, why do you use a WDH? Assuming that you would have the same permissible ball load of 300Kg.

Did you see the post on the Prado that lost its tinnie and van on the M1 while you were cruising?

Regards
Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:54 pm

Gerry,
When I say light, it is usually 180 kg on the ball. It hasn't been onto a weighbridge but I doubt it is over 2 tonne.
I use the WDH only to assist in leveling and I reckon they help with stability in windy weather, otherwise it appears slightly high in the front. There isn't a lot of effort required in setting the chains before taking off.
I used the same setup for a 2004 Hilux and they worked fine.
glanyard

Return to “Weights & Measures”