The importance of adhering to your ATM

zalimama

The importance of adhering to your ATM

Post by zalimama » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:50 pm

We are just back from a wet and muddy weekend at the Batemans Bay Caravan and Camping Show so we are in full-on caravan researching mode in our household.

Given my hubby works long hours it has been me taking the lead on all things caravanning research in the pursuit of finding the right rig for us. I am known for being a bit of a stickler for following rules and so I have been paying extra attention to understanding all things relating to weights and payload. Dearest hubby is not such a stickler for the rules and doesn't think ensuring we have a van with a payload greater than 400kgs is that important (bearing in mind we are a family of 4 hitting the road for 6 months and plan to free camp a fair bit - we need a payload greater than 400kgs!).

Don't get me wrong, he is not irresponsible and would be cautious about overloading our rig, it is more that he thinks the whole ATM/payload thing is merely a bunch of numbers on your compliance plate that if not strictly adhered to would have no negative impact (ie. a police officer isn't going to come along and weigh your rig; in the event of an accident the insurance company isn't going to weigh your rig etc)

I would greatly appreciate any stories you can share that demonstrate the real life importance of complying with your compliance plate!!!
Me, him and the two kiddos
Planning for our 'Lap' in 2017

masterplumber

Re: The importance of adhering to your ATM

Post by masterplumber » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:47 pm

Depending on the tow vehicle, just order a greater payload when you order the van.

Personal experience:
Bought a new single axle van and my main concern was that it would fit in the garage and wasn't even aware of "The standard Payload of 300 Kg" You are obviously talking a tandem axle job.

It turns out that the van gained more weight than I do at an all that you can eat buffet. 100Kg in round numbers. I did manage to get the manufacturer to increase the ATM by 84 Kg but considering that we have 2x 60 litre water tanks and 2x 9 kg gas bottles, it doesn't leave much.

So on Wednesday we are spending $2500.00 to get the suspension upgraded.

I recon that $500.00 would have covered it if the salesman had brought this to our attention.

If on the other hand you are buying second hand then you are stuck with 400Kg or spending $$$$

Regards
Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

zalimama

Post by zalimama » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:41 pm

And that is my concern with buying second hand if we decide to go that way. All the manufacturers we spoke to on the weekend can easily increase the payload to 600kg on a new build but that isn't the case if we buy secondhand, not to mention all the bits and bobs we want to add (solar, batteries, toolbox etc) which would all eat into a lean payload if adding to a secondhand van. All things that hubby understands but just doesn't seem to prioritize... Or maybe I am just prioritizing it too highly!!!
Me, him and the two kiddos
Planning for our 'Lap' in 2017

chrissmith61

Post by chrissmith61 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:50 pm

zalimama wrote:And that is my concern with buying second hand if we decide to go that way. All the manufacturers we spoke to on the weekend can easily increase the payload to 600kg on a new build but that isn't the case if we buy secondhand, not to mention all the bits and bobs we want to add (solar, batteries, toolbox etc) which would all eat into a lean payload if adding to a secondhand van. All things that hubby understands but just doesn't seem to prioritize... Or maybe I am just prioritizing it too highly!!!
You are starting in the right place by trying to understand weights and the ATM of a van is a great place to start. If you are looking at second hand vans, get all the details and then consult a dealer and see if they can get ATM upgraded, some can be.

Lots of people buy a van and find out later the weights are all wrong.

Happy hunting

robandanne

Post by robandanne » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:30 pm

We have just had our 6 year old van rerated by the manufacturer, after phoning and asking. Our van can now carry an extra 300kg and it is still under the axel load capacity. If you are looking at a used van it may be worth a phone call to the manufacturer to check this out first.

Azhure

Post by Azhure » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:39 pm

I would suggest a family of 4 needs a 400kg payload plus whatever water you are carrying at least for a long trip, if at all possible more. So for a toilet/shower van you would need about 600kg. Many van manufacturers will increase the payload on new vans, its something you should certainly be asking about.

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:25 pm

zalimama wrote:And that is my concern with buying second hand if we decide to go that way. All the manufacturers we spoke to on the weekend can easily increase the payload to 600kg on a new build but that isn't the case if we buy secondhand,
That is not strictly correct. When looking at any van look for the figures against the ATM and the group axle or chassis carrying weights. You can easily have the ATM of your van increased up to but not exceeding the axle carrying capacity.

If the van is a new or near new van you will probably be able to get the manufacturer to increase the ATM (and thus the load capacity) and issue a new compliance plate. If it is a second hand van you will have to seek out someone who is authorised to check the van over and issue a new compliance plate. In most states you use a certifying engineer, in NSW some of the authorise inspection stations can do the inspections. Ring your local motor registry for details
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:28 pm

Azhure wrote:I would suggest a family of 4 needs a 400kg payload plus whatever water you are carrying at least for a long trip, if at all possible more. So for a toilet/shower van you would need about 600kg. Many van manufacturers will increase the payload on new vans, its something you should certainly be asking about.
For a family of 4 I suggest you may need more than 400 kg plus water. We have a single axle van and carry 450 - 500 kg including 80 kg of water (and yes we have upgraded the carrying capacity of the van.)
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

Queensmanian

Post by Queensmanian » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:54 pm

I am amased. Am I to believe that manufacturers can increase the atm without any modifications to the van? If so, why dont they do this in the first place? Sounds like the sunday school luck dip!

Perhaps I am missing something?

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:15 pm

Queensmanian wrote:Perhaps I am missing something?
This is purely my speculation based on logic....

My Prado has a legal towing capacity of 2500 kg. My van has an ATM of 2400 kg. So unless I overload the van I am legal on paper.

If I had my van ATM amended by the maker to 2600 kg then I am illegal even if I still only load it to 2400 kg. I have the potential to legally load the van to 2600 kg but then that exceeds the Prado spec.

The more van makers that are aware of the popular Prado and like vehicles limited to 2500 kg and deliberately derate their ATM to within range - the greater the opportunity for selling a van to this large market. By upping their ATM to appeal to bigger van buyers they cut out a large chunk of market. By making the ATM effectively a variable option they cover both markets.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Return to “Weights & Measures”