towing combos

Grey Fox

towing combos

Post by Grey Fox » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:27 pm

weights and measures have had a rest for awhile but i think they could get serious soon esp in qld.
with 2 roll overs in a mater of days. one where it was stated the tow was not capable of controlling the van (fatal). and one today a prado towing a 21ft? and the main story based on the size of the van.
the easter road toll will prompt some action.

TeddyGQ
Location: Shepparton, VIC 2004 7.3 litre F250 Supercab Ute. Supreme Elite 23'6

Re: towing combos

Post by TeddyGQ » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:45 am

Might give the Weigh Bridge operators another target. Over weight and overloaded trucks are targeted to the point where they now use weigh-in-motion for trucks. For the uninitiated, the trucks only need to drive slowly over the bridge for the weight to be measured. If it looks doubtful they are pulled in.
The same may need to be applied to caravans or all vehicles towing trailers
I personally don't care as our F250 Diesel is rated at 4500kgs and our van at 4000kgs.

A'van

Re: towing combos

Post by A'van » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:32 pm

Thanks for bringing this up Grey Fox.
No one keeps an eye on this, only when you have an accident or the police book you.
I take the van for an inspection once a year, they never check, if that is the car i am towing the van with all the time, or if its legal to tow the van with that car, also if the weight and measures of the van is legal.
There could be lots of people driving an illegal setup and they don't know, before they have an accident or get booked.
The insurance company don't care, because if you are not legal, they don't have to pay.
A dealer may tell you, but if you buy it private, you are on your own.

Hans
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A'van Aliner

Return to “Weights & Measures”