Understanding tow ball weight

crowleymr

Understanding tow ball weight

Post by crowleymr » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:57 pm

Hi all, new to this site and new to caravanning.
Looking at buying our first van and just need some help understanding the weight restrictions on my current vehicle to find a van to suit.(2004 triton MK dual cab 4wd.Auto)
The total weight is fine(2200kg) but the 'static ball weight' has me flustered.The plate on the tow bar states its only 100 kg.I was under the impression it was 10% of the towing weight.
Im looking at a Jayco freedom family pop top,which I think comes in at around 1400 kg.
So I suppose my question is can/should I upgrade the tow bar setup for higher tow ball weight or am I stuck with the same restrictions on the vehicle?
Thanks in advance if you can help and if this makes any sence.

PeterD

Re: Understanding tow ball weight

Post by PeterD » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:53 pm

crowleymr wrote:The total weight is fine(2200kg) but the 'static ball weight' has me flustered.The plate on the tow bar states its only 100 kg.I was under the impression it was 10% of the towing weight..
I see there is a couple of MK models in my industry towing guide with 1900 kg maximum weights and 190 kg ball weight. Over in the "Conditions" column says "#6 A maximum towing mass of up to 2200 kg can be used if the ball mass is restricted to 100 kg above 1900 kg towing mass."

There is nothing unusual in that. The Pajero has similar conditions (180 kg ball mass when towing above 2500 kg.) The towing limits are what the manufacturers consider their vehicles can handle. If you look at a lot of the small vehicles, particularly European ones, their maximum ball weights are less than 10% of the maximum towing weights. The European vans are built differently to ours and do not need 10% ball weights so their tug low ball weight limits are suitable for their vans.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

crowleymr

Re: Understanding tow ball weight

Post by crowleymr » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:05 pm

Thanks Peter. I have. I have been quoted by a few different places the 190/1900 tow bar. Just not sure if I need to do that or if there just trying to sell me something I don't need.

Return to “Weights & Measures”