View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Weights & Measures 

Post Weights & Measures
There is a lot off talk about weights, suspensions and different setups.
I feel it's bit off a minefield, specially for people who has not owned a wan before.
It's no good that you buy a van and you haven't got the right vehicle to tow it. Also they start changing suspensions, engine set ups etc. after they have bought the van.
Is there a list off what you can tow, with what vehicle, without having to alter anything, or can somebody make one up, of the most common vehicles, as a guide.
Even if people on the forum, tell us about their own experiences, What is good or not good for them.

It's just an idea i got, may be it's no good, then i have only spent a bit of time writing this. :)

Hans

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:23 pm

Post Re: Weights & Measures
It is a good idea Hans. Sme of the reputable van dealers do ask the question what will you be towing it with.
Sid

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi to all, it is a concern in relation to what weight a van may be, what will the ball weight be, what is the gross weight of the van fully loaded be. I find that a lot of caravan sales people don't listen to their customers I being one. When we ordered our new van I was very explicit about the ball weight of my vehicle & the maximum weight that my van could legally pull. The main issue was that when the van arrived that the ball weight was to heavy. Only that I have past mechanical back ground I rectified this issue by moving water tanks back which solved this issue. This I believe is not the average person needs to have to deal with so I encourage all whether buying new or second hand that you ensure that the sales person is on the same wave link as you. Regards Ray.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:16 pm

ray smith wrote:
Hi to all, it is a concern in relation to what weight a van may be, what will the ball weight be, what is the gross weight of the van fully loaded be. I find that a lot of caravan sales people don't listen to their customers I being one. When we ordered our new van I was very explicit about the ball weight of my vehicle & the maximum weight that my van could legally pull. The main issue was that when the van arrived that the ball weight was to heavy. Only that I have past mechanical back ground I rectified this issue by moving water tanks back which solved this issue. This I believe is not the average person needs to have to deal with so I encourage all whether buying new or second hand that you ensure that the sales person is on the same wave link as you. Regards Ray.

Hi Ray. I guess if you buy a stock standard van, everything should be what they advertise in the specs. If you change tings around and ad more etc. then you may have a problem, but the van builder should have enough experience to move things around, to suit your specs or even tell you that, what you want is not possible You should not have to do, what you did, on a new van.
We bought our van stock standard, already built, it's only small and i knew i had plenty of leeway, for the car i was using to tow it, so i didn't go in to the weights to much, i didn't know much anyway.
But if you buy a big van, you would have to be sure that it matches what you are going to use for towing. I guess you could say it's the same for all vans, big or small, the unit ind the end, got to match.
The easy way, maybe to go and buy the biggest an best tug you can get, one that will tow anything, then there should be no problems, you can buy any van. :lol:

Hans

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]