View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Van weight 

Post Van weight
Just the other day I had a new Hayman Reese system fitted to our Regent Brentwood off roader. They advised me that your van is showing 389kgs. on the ball. Where it should be 165kgs.

That's when the problem started to get worse. The paper work from Lifestyle Caravans Vic. Shows the tare weight = 2440kg. dry ball weight = 130kgs. wet ball weight = 195kgs. (when water tanks and gas bottles are full). New total weight = 2650kgs.

Then it gets worse. The plate fitted to the van by Regent shows ATM = 2840kgs. GTM = 2570kgs. TARE MASS = 2440kgs. AXLE GROUP CAPACITY = 3000kgs.

I took the van to a weigh bridge to check the weight it weighed TARE MASS at 2800kgs.

Now I have to take it to Main Roads QLD. to have it remeasured and weighed. and replated.

To be continued.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:42 pm

Post Re: Van weight
ATM - Tare = Payload.
the 400KG payload allowance is insufficient for the Brentwood, 500 - 600Kg would be more realistic.
The should be at least 10% of the actual laden weight of the van. For the Brentwood I'd be looking at something a little higher than the 10%, maybe 12 - 15%.
TARE does not include gas in the cylinders, water in the tanks & hot water service as well as an empty toilet cassette & header tank, and an empty diesel tank in a diesel heater if fitted.
TARE also does not include anything added onto or into the van after it left the factory.
Best of luck,
Ozjohn.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:25 am

we love regent vans but found they were just too heavy on the ball for our Navara. Our single axle one went 340kg's loaded and when we were upgrading to a twin axle it was still 240kg's bare despite the compliance reading 180kg's and the salesman (in a second hand yard) assuring us it would be OK.
He kept quoting us the 10% rule saying that for most vans the ball weight was around 10% of the van weight. He did not want to hear that that was the recommended minimum ball weight for safe towing.
After we insisted it be weighed and he produced the scales he was quite embarrassed

Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:55 pm

"Quote"
compliance reading 180kg's

The 180Kg ball weight on the compliance plate is not the recommended minimum, but should be the actual ball weigh (As weighed) with the van in its TARE condition.
A very small number of manufactures deduct the GTM from the ATM and state that as the ball weight on the compliance plate. However that practice is both missleading and illegal.
Ozjohn.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]