View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 weight info doesn't add up???? HELP 

Post weight info doesn't add up???? HELP
Well we eventually got home with our new van from Qld to Melbourne after cracking the head in the 80 series and have had a chance to have a good look over it. Previous owner supplied a Qld safety certificate and I have no idea how the van passed this as the suspension swing arm bushes are worn and loose and the shock bushes are so worn I can rattle the shocks on their mounts with my hand????? Bodgy Qld roadworthys still abound by the looks.

It states Tare 1500kg and GVM 1750kg.

Anyway, the front drawbar has been modified it appears by Bluestone Trailers... I am unsure if they changed the VIN plate or not but the info on this must be incorrect...
TARE: 1500 ...... Axle group load carrying capacity 1500... ??????? What the??

Now the Qld rego states TARE: 1500 and ATM: 1750

From what I have read on this forum it seems I am unable to carry any extra weight whatsoever???? Surely this can't be the correct info on the plate and rego cert.

I have a TARE:1500 .... axle capacity: 1500 .... GVM: 1750 .... ATM: 1750

Drawbar has been beefed right up from 100x50 to 150x50, lengthened and spare wheel carriers added.
This would have to increase the TARE at the very least???? I am going to take it to a weighbridge and get it weighed and see where I go from there.....

Fri May 10, 2013 1:05 pm

Post Re: weight info doesn't add up???? HELP
Claws wrote:
Well we eventually got home with our new van from Qld to Melbourne after cracking the head in the 80 series and have had a chance to have a good look over it. Previous owner supplied a Qld safety certificate and I have no idea how the van passed this as the suspension swing arm bushes are worn and loose and the shock bushes are so worn I can rattle the shocks on their mounts with my hand????? Bodgy Qld roadworthys still abound by the looks.

Anyway, the front drawbar has been modified it appears by Bluestone Trailers... I am unsure if they changed the VIN plate or not but the info on this must be incorrect...
TARE: 1500 ...... Axle group load carrying capacity 1500... ??????? What the??

From what I have read on this forum it seems I am unable to carry any extra weight whatsoever???? Surely this can't be the correct info on the plate and rego cert.

I have a TARE:1500 .... axle capacity: 1500 .... GVM: 1750 .... ATM: 1750

Drawbar has been beefed right up from 100x50 to 150x50, lengthened and spare wheel carriers added.
This would have to increase the TARE at the very least???? I am going to take it to a weighbridge and get it weighed and see where I go from there.....

Snipped

Hi Claws,
Nothing new in your discovery I would say, and I doubt if you would be in a different predicament with many vans sold direct to new customers.
I don't know what sort of suspension you have but if leaf sprung count the leaves; 5 is 1500 kg capacity, 6 is 2000, I believe, but just going from memory.
I installed a heavier set to my van on the advice of a caravan repair company, and am happy I did.

Its easy to talk retrospectively and say get the van weighed prior to purchase, but I am betting very few of have done this, and the manufacturers know it. I reckon at least 50% of vans on the road would be over weight.
Consider that if you have 2 water tanks of 100 litres each, that alone is 200 kg and half your carrying capacity, before beginning to load up.
If yours is a single axle van, you may be in real trouble. I see you have a rim size of 15x 17. I can't work that out. Does it mean 5 tyres with 17 inch rims? If so you have a tandem with a good wheel set and it may be ok.
Jayco weigh every van at their factory.
But all you can do is go on from here to improve your safety angle. I would go to a spring place and get it sorted after weighing on a certified weigh bridge. I don't like your chances of a resolution with the seller .

Often to get an upgraded registered payload you need a letter from the vans manufacturer to the effect that it is within their safety margin, and the chassis and body will be ok with the requested upgrade, good luck with that though. :D

Sorry but if you can't give a state, no answer from me folks.
sig pic is a 1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Mon May 13, 2013 8:29 am

I think you'll find it says Rim Size 15 x 7 meaning 15" diameter (same as the tyre size stated) by 7" wide.

The axle loading of 1500 excludes the ball weight (that weight is on the car), so with those numbers you would (should?) have a 250kg ball weight.

With the upgrade of the drawbar to 150mm and a good look at the suspension, you may be able to have the van re-plated to a more realistic capacity, especially the ATM in order to allow you to carry a bit more payload. 250kg is never going to be enough for you, especially since that includes all your water as well.

I'm having mine done at the moment without any modifications apart from a 75mm chassis riser to give me more ground clearance.

Gerry

Member VKS737 - mobile 3535

Mon May 13, 2013 11:14 am

It is a tandem Supreme Getaway with sugar glider type trailing arm suspension. I assume the axle group load capacity is 1500 per set of two so being a tandem the load capacity of all four wheels should be 3000kg????

It has three 80L water tanks fitted and provision to carry three spare wheels and two 20L jerrycans.

We are about to leave on an extended around Aust. trip and I want to be sure I won't be overloaded or illegal in any way...

Fri May 17, 2013 12:27 pm

Can I suggest that you take your van to a trailer or caravan repair company, one who has the authority to issue compliance plates and get them to work out a proper Tare and ATM and replate the van for you.

It shouldn't cost an arm or a leg and then you'll be 100% confident and fully compliant and legal.

If in Adelaide, I could recommend a couple of places for you, but I'm unfamiliar with Melbourne based companies. Maybe someone else here can make some suggestions?

Gerry

Member VKS737 - mobile 3535

Fri May 17, 2013 1:58 pm

Hello all, I have just joined this very interesting Site with numerous equally interesting topics in the forums. It seems the weigh topics are the most significant with ambiguous contents. I am a Signatory Engineer and Designer of both trailer and powered vehicles and I will be happy to organise a presentation event explaining in full – clear and in easy to understand manner. I am in Victoria and will be happy to attempt this locally and if successful will make further arrangements state-wide.
It is not hard to see [upon brief browsing] that many trailer and powered van owners are not quite clear on the mass ratings and the load distribution. Drawn vehicles are unique in fulcrum points and vehicle attitude behaviours. Once the basic fundamentals are pointed out, it all makes sense and becomes an easy process to put into practise.
If I receive adequate quantity of response, I will post further information about a presentation event at a venue in Melbourne location to be advised.
I am not sure if I am able to post my direct contact details, hence will not without advise on this post.
Allen Saylav [Avass]

Sun May 26, 2013 2:33 pm

Hi Allen, are you listed in this list? - http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... r_2011.pdf

Mon May 27, 2013 1:50 am

Hello Peter, I could not follow the link but I presume you are inquiring if I am an Approved Signatory with RMS - VSCCS System and my answer is yes [also for every ither jurisdiction throughout Australia]

Mon May 27, 2013 9:05 am

Perhaps PD means this list.... http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... tin_01.pdf

Mon May 27, 2013 11:03 am

Yes, that is what I assumed. Bottom of page 9.Cheers

Mon May 27, 2013 11:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next