Anti Sway Control

Looking for information on certain Products? Here is the place!
PeterD

Re: Anti Sway Control

Post by PeterD » Mon May 01, 2017 2:36 pm

Sounds what you have is just a Sway Control-Standard Friction Kit - no cams involved at all. That's the problem with using non standard terminology, it just confuses people.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

loub

Post by loub » Mon May 01, 2017 4:42 pm

Sorry about the miss use of the word cam.They do apply friction as the force to lessen the sway . :razz:
BT50 2013 Auto 3.2 Diesel
21 Golf Linwood

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Mon May 01, 2017 4:59 pm

loub wrote:Sorry about the miss use of the word cam.They do apply friction as the force to lessen the sway . :razz:
Hi Loub,
I am considering one of those units, but G&S Chassis have advised me they they don't like people drilling holes in their draw bar.

am considering welding the smaller, square plate onto some 10mm material and using a couple of "U" bolts to attach it to the draw bar.

One thing that has me puzzled is the extra plate with the additional holes.

I could accept that if fitted as per the instructions there would be 6 or is it 8 screws securing it to thd draw bar, but only 4 of these would go through the smaller plate that has the ball attached.

Regards
Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

Argonaut

Post by Argonaut » Mon May 01, 2017 6:51 pm

We have decided on the Dexter anti sway and are getting it fitted next week. It will give me more confidence when driving with the van. Thanks to all for comments.
[font=Comic Sans MS]Linda and John[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]2007 Auto Diesel Prado
2009 Lotus Uptown[/font]

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Mon May 01, 2017 7:11 pm

I see on some of the European imports the friction control clamps on the tow ball. You would think that could loosen the tow ball.
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Mon May 01, 2017 8:04 pm

Cyclone, that only happens when you use the wrong tow ball. The correct ones to use with that anti-sway have methods of locking onto the tongue. - This is the one to use. You also have to do some welding to provide a piece for that flat bit to lock against.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Mon May 01, 2017 8:17 pm

PeterD wrote:Cyclone, that only happens when you use the wrong tow ball. The correct ones to use with that anti-sway have methods of locking onto the tongue. - This is the one to use. You also have to do some welding to provide a piece for that flat bit to lock against.
Thanks for that Peter. :razz:
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

MikeL

Post by MikeL » Tue May 02, 2017 9:35 am

Argonaut,

Can I suggest when they install the Dexter unit is the ask them to locate the green LED light in a position that it can be seen easily when you hook up the van to the tow vehicle's electrics.

Mine is on the offside of the van on the first outrigger/cross member.

It could be hit with stones in this location if you travel on a lot of unsealed roads.

The only regret that I have is that the glow of the LED is near impossible to see in your driver's side rear view mirror in daylight hours, I have never driven at night to see if it is more easy to see.

We have an addition to our check sheet before we leave with the van, is the green light is on?
Regards,

MikeL

2011 Pajero GLS 3.2L
Regent "Clare" 17'6" single axle van.

GerryP

Post by GerryP » Tue May 02, 2017 10:29 am

I haven't read this whole thread, but on the subject of sway control, I have just been away after fitting an Andersen hitch to my car and van. I previously used a standard HR WDH with no sway control at all.

The Andersen unit has a large tapered friction surface incorporated into the ball support and the ball actually turns with the drawbar, thus no grease or lubrication required on the ball at all. It seemed to work very well and also reduced fore-aft pitching to almost zero.

Not quite as quick to set up or unhitch but I am certainly very pleased with the way it handled. The other bonus is that it is absolutely quiet - no more groaning!

Cheers
Cheers, Gerry
2017 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
2012 Traveller Sensation Pinnacle 21'
Member VKS737 - mobile 3535

Return to “Product Info sought”